Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 11:47 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,643,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
You're a pig. Own it.
Yeah okay, I'm a fat disgusting pig, all 132lbs of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 12:18 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,498,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djm666 View Post
People from Mississippi are fat. With an adult obesity rate of 33%, Mississippi has gobbled its way to the "chubbiest state" crown for the fifth year in a row, according to a new joint report by Trust for America's Health and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. Alabama, West Virginia and Tennessee aren't far behind, with obesity rates over 30%. In fact, eight of the 10 fattest states are in the South.Why Are Southerners So Fat? - TIME

Why do people ask so stupid questions?

Old 07-10-2009, 08:59 AM

195 posts, read 127,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Why do people ask so stupid questions?
It's a valid question from Time Magazine. I see your from TN.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:28 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,037,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I have lived in Colorado and in the south and people in Colorado are a lot more active.

In the South, if you are walking somewhere people just assume that you don't have a car...why else would you be walking.
Yes and no.
I spent more than 30 years in Colorado. Indeed, the hippie aristocracy of Denver/Boulder look muscular and fit and those who can afford to ski, do.
But no matter how nice the weather is, I saw plenty of people hopping into their SUVs to drive to the gym. And driving is the only way to get to the mountains to revel in Colorado skinniness. Coloradans may be thinner, but this active lifestyle stuff is a bit bogus IMHO. (Maybe it's the altitude!)

I live in northern Florida now, basically southern Georgia. Not every Southerner is rolling around like a tub of lard.
However, there are more overweight people raising overweight children here.
There is a growing awareness of nutrition slowly developing, public schools try to provide more balanced meals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Because we have great food and it's too stinkin hot to go outside and jog!
disclaimer: I refuse to be one of the statistics and therefore go to a gymn regularly. It's air conditioned there
I just swim. But whatever works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
"You can laugh at Southerners all you want, but I ain't never heard of anyone "retiring up North!". - Jeff Foxworthy
Good one!

Last edited by BlueWillowPlate; 07-10-2009 at 09:44 AM..

Old 07-10-2009, 09:33 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,950,661 times
Way more fat afro americans in the south than white people. Not saying the south does not have it's fair share of obese whites, but here in Atlanta I would say it is almost 2/3 of afro americans that are just down right huge!!!! Destined to die by heart failure or stroke by the time they are 50.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcissus23 View Post
Way more fat afro americans in the south than white people.
Really?
I would not say that is a true breakdown in my neck of the woods, but I certainly do not have any statistics.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:49 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,846,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djm666 View Post
It's a valid question from Time Magazine. I see your from TN.
it's not a valid question, and I ended this thread on the first page. more calories taken in, less exercise. that is what causes weight gain. the person who wrote this article is retarded.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:09 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,219,965 times
To be more charitable, the root cause is the shift in diet to processed foods with concentrated nutrients. Such an input is not communicated to the brain designed to handle a less concentrated food. By the time the satiated signal is triggered, the stomach has been supercharged.

A simple experiment - eat a meal composed of fresh apples. After the second or third apple, your urge to eat more will be swiftly cut off.

And watch certain combinations :
Sugar and fat, or salt and fat.

If you tried to eat only fat or only sugar or only salt, you'd gag at a small amount.
But combine fat and sugar (ex: icing) and suddenly, you can eat too much.
Ditto for salt and fat (like salty fried foods).

Old 07-10-2009, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,152 times
I am from South Carolina and can tell you they love BIG meals, grits, gravy, eggs, ham, sausage, bacon, toast, pancakes, bisquits just for BREAKFAST. My dad used to cook breakfast on Sunday and he would bake bisquits or fry pancakes and you had to have bacon or sausage, and eggs. They fry EVERYTHING! They do not exercise, walk nowhere (except the mall) and now with those little carts they have for fat people, no one will ever lose weight. I am still trying to break bad habits from then...ever try a peanut butter, banana and mayonaise sandwich? It was Elvis Presley`s favorite, nuff said!

Old 07-10-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBroom View Post
They fry EVERYTHING!
This is an exaggeration--but not by much.
Quote:
and now with those little carts they have for fat people, no one will ever lose weight.
I have to say, I have seen more of those carts in my few years here than I ever did in all my years anyplace else.
What's worrisome is that obesity is up in 49 states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies