Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cut the minimum wage and the economy would boom!
Yes, we need to cut or eliminate the minimum wage 4 25.00%
No, that would exploit the workers and make corporate fat cats rich 12 75.00%
I have no opinion 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 10:29 PM

4,289 posts, read 10,807,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I owned my own business and can tell you first hand many people are NOT worth minimum wage.

I had to go through many to get one person who was even worth the minimum wage.

Most complainers are those who think that businesses should just pay someone for showing up for work.

If you have no value to the business you are working for then you are not worth minimum wage.

My bank used to have 5 tellers all day long, because of the last wage hike we now see 2 and when I asked why they said when the min wage went up they had to get rid of 3 of the tellers.

Min. wage is there for a reason and if you keep raising it the businesses that barely are making it will go under by being forced to pay someone that has no skills or value to them.

Min Wage needs to be tied to inflation. $7.25 an hour is absolutely nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 10:31 PM

4,289 posts, read 10,807,808 times
and if the people you hire dont live up to the minimum wage in work performed, fire them and hire someone else who will do what it takes

Old 07-09-2009, 10:33 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,714,840 times
Well like it or not, to compete in this free trade global economy ALL of our salaries will need to come down except those of the CEO.

A college educated Indian programmer makes the equivalent of $25K
I don't know what blue collar workers in India make so let's assume half of that ...$12K
You all know about salaries in China.
Vietnam has just entered the picture and they are even lower than India.

Where does that leave American workers if we want to survive ?
Our salaries will go down. It's starting to happen now..cut benefits, cut hours, cut salaries.

If business revenues can't support the hike they will off shore if they can or make do with less people.

Now throw mandatory healthcare and cap & trade taxes and I'll wager there will be a new wave of bankruptcies.

Only the multinationals will be left standing and you know they will get their way.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:37 PM

773 posts, read 1,217,807 times
If an increase in the minimum wage of $x were really capable of providing a net benefit, why would an increase of $x+n not be better? (To wit, why stop with $7.25? Why not $10? $20? $100?)

The answer should be obvious: minimum wages do not confer any net benefit; they always come at someone else's expense. That 'someone' is one of two people: an employer, or someone who is no longer hirable at the new minimum wage.

The economic case against minimum wage laws is simple. Employers pay a wage no higher than the value of an additional hour's work. Raising minimum wages forces employers to dismiss low productivity workers. This policy has the largest affect on those with the least education, job experience, and maturity. Consequently, we should expect minimum wage laws to affect teenagers and those with less education. Eliminating minimum wage laws would reduce unemployment and improve the efficiency of markets for low productivity labor.

Should be no surprise that youth and disadvantaged unemployment are at an all time high.
http://www.ilo.org/wow/Articles/lang...1340/index.htm

Last edited by mcmastersteve; 07-09-2009 at 10:51 PM..

Old 07-10-2009, 06:33 AM

938 posts, read 3,168,401 times
Default Cut the minimum wage in half and the economy will boom!

America needs to finally understand that we can no longer pay low skilled workers well in a global economy. Many economists are telling us that unless a person is highly skilled and educated and have the ability to add value to the organization, their wages have to be cut.

We have to many worker bees who do boring unskilled labor who attempt to demand high wages for work that could be done by the flood of immigrants or outsourced overseas. I suggest that in an era of 10 percent unemployment, we can not afford to pay $8 an hour to unskilled workers.

Do you think a huge cut in wages for the unskilled workers would cause the economy to boom or bust?

Old 07-10-2009, 06:36 AM

551 posts, read 857,948 times
So you want to add MORE unemployed to the roster and start paying them benefits??

Old 07-10-2009, 06:38 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,204,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
America needs to finally understand that we can no longer pay low skilled workers well in a global economy. Many economists are telling us that unless a person is highly skilled and educated and have the ability to add value to the organization, their wages have to be cut.

We have to many worker bees who do boring unskilled labor who attempt to demand high wages for work that could be done by the flood of immigrants or outsourced overseas. I suggest that in an era of 10 percent unemployment, we can not afford to pay $8 an hour to unskilled workers.

Do you think a huge cut in wages for the unskilled workers would cause the economy to boom or bust?
I don't know...do you thnk making more poor people is a good idea?

If they can't afford housing, health care, gas , heating, groceries, entertainment, any "luxury" items like TVs, books, camping equipment, plumbers, home improvement,etc., how does that aid the economy?

Old 07-10-2009, 06:41 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,204,013 times
Quote:

I got a better idea! Let's give the wealthy more tax breaks(higher income) , make sure executives get %1,000 more pay than the average worker and bail them out when they are so unskilled that their company fails.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:44 AM

382 posts, read 956,133 times
Why don't we just make the min wage $20/hour and then there would be no poor people at all, right?

Old 07-10-2009, 06:49 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,365,568 times
Quote:

Bust big time! Would you rather keep them as a consumer? Or would you rather have them be on the welfare roles? Other countries that pay $1/hour have UHC. That makes a difference to the employer and employee.

BTW, who are "we". Are you an employer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies