Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 02:02 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,453,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
This idea about straightening our hair was not created by us (African Americans) but was put in our minds by the white man/woman during slavery......then that is the slave mind.......I can call it whatever I want to call it, that is why America is America.....we can say what we want to say!

Having this debate back and forth with me does not change the fact that we are in the slave mind in the black community....don't hate the messenger!!
Do you feel the same way about black women who loc their hair so it can grow long?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 02:10 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Well gee! I stopped relaxing my hair back in '99. I wasn't thinking about freeing my mind from "slavery" when I went natural. I just wanted to try something different and give my hair a rest from all of the relaxers. Fast forward ten years, I'm still natural but it's simply my preference. I don't keep my hair natural because of some "enlightenment" I experienced in the last ten years, I just think I look better with natural hair. While some black women may relax their hair from self-hate, [b]I believe that most do it because that's what works for them.
I agree; I loved my natural hair when I was younger because I didn't have to do it My mom would do my hair Saturday night and it would last the whole week; when I got older and wanted more stylish hair, I started going to a salon (my parents were still paying for it) and my mom would wrap it for me at night.

But when I got to college, I just didn't have the time (or the money) to keep up with the maintenance or buy the products. I'm not against natural hair and I actually preferred mine because it was so full and thick, but I'll probably never go back to it unless I can afford to go to the salon regularly and buy the products I like.

My decision didn't have anything to do with my acknowledgment or rejection of my African roots - it had everything to do with how much time and money I wanted to invest on my hair.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:16 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,432 times
I believe NewYorkBorn said she has locs. I think some posters are misinterpreting what she's saying.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Do you feel the same way about black women who loc their hair so it can grow long?

Old 07-21-2009, 02:17 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,960,239 times
natalayjones
Young,Black and Smart Mouthed
befriend

Quote:
I was being extreme because her comment was extreme and offensive; if you don't understand sarcasm then that's your problem; not mine.
I will not get in a cyber argument, I notice you already admit you have a smart mouth, so no surprise there.

You admit you are young, well your obviously juvenile attempt at humor further exposes that.

Your inability to make your attempt at sarcasm known to all is certanly not my problem, maybe you should attempt to be more clear in future posts!

While you may disagree with someone's opinion, which is certainly your right, there is a "slave mind" mentality that many of us do carry around and many times we are not even aware of it.

While I may be wrong in your particular instance because I don't know you personally, is why the need to be so offensive and ready to attack.

Also a trait of the "slave mentality" which may or not be your case.

Let's just agree on this one point and then leave it alone, by your own words you were "extreme".

Old 07-21-2009, 02:26 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
natalayjones
Young,Black and Smart Mouthed
befriend I will not get in a cyber argument, I notice you already admit you have a smart mouth, so no surprise there.".
I love how people try to be condescending online - if I had a problem with people saying I was smart mouthed I wouldn't have put it under my name.
Quote:
You admit you are young, well your obviously juvenile attempt at humor further exposes that.
Oh I'm sorry that my attempt at humor was beneath you.
Quote:
Your inability to make your attempt at sarcasm known to all is certanly not my problem, maybe you should attempt to be more clear in future posts!
Maybe you shouldn't read any of my future posts.
Quote:
While you may disagree with someone's opinion, which is certainly your right, there is a "slave mind" mentality that many of us do carry around and many times we are not even aware of it.
I can disagree with her opinion and she can disagree with mine, but she cannot tell me the "truth" behind my actions, which is exactly what she claimed she was doing.
Quote:
While I may be wrong in your particular instance because I don't know you personally, is why the need to be so offensive and ready to attack.
Also a trait of the "slave mentality" which may or not be your case."
I don't know you personally either so I don't understand why you felt the need to write your comment about needing more education. My comment about over educated was clearly talking about the women I encountered during college. They read a book, watch Malcom X, become pro-African and then walk around saying "you're under the slave mind because a,b,c" when the closest they've ever come to Africa was via their television set. I was not saying the poster who said that was over educated and she didn’t seem to take offense to what I said, so I don’t know why you are rushing to the save the day.
Quote:
Let's just agree on this one point and then leave it alone, by your own words you were "extreme".
I don't see your point but as requested I'll leave you alone.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:14 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,960,239 times
Quote:
I don't see your point but as requested I'll leave you alone.
That sums it up quite well.

I do appreciate you leaving me alone no pun intended.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:51 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,530 times
Quote:
There was more then one reason I decided to stop relaxing my hair and go natural. The slave mind was not the only reason. One of the other reasons is that I became tired of forcing my hair to be something that it was never meant to be. The same thing goes for black women bleaching their skin which is actually what this thread is about. As far as I am concerned whether someone locks to grow their hair long.........or whether they lock and keep it short is their preference.........as long as it has no relaxer in it natural is natural no matter what length it is.

Everybody is entitled to do what they want with their body (not on here to debate that).........I just refuse to live the rest of my life suffering with the Michael Jackson syndrome!!

Old 07-21-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
I believe NewYorkBorn said she has locs. I think some posters are misinterpreting what she's saying.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~
Exactly. They want to shoot the messenger because the messenger is saying something they don't want to hear or admit. This is the problem on this forum........someone posts a thread..........we respond to the person that posted the thread with our opinion.....then you get people on here that want to create a debate because they don't agree. As far as I am concerned if something does not apply to me than I am not going to sit on here and argue.........when someone argues about something what that says to me is that somewhere deep down inside of them they know what I am saying is true......otherwise their would be no need for them to defend themselves.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Saying that black people are under the slave mind because of how they choose to style their hair is idiotic. And I don't know if you didn't get the memo but hair grows back - it's not an internal organ that can't be replaced. There are lots of women who had relaxed hair that now have natural hair.

Can you share some of your pictures from your last trip to Africa; I'd like to see some of the hair styles.
Another idiotic statement.........I don't have to go on a trip to Africa in order to mature as a human being and decide to stop torturing my hair.....also don't have to go to Africa to realize the way my hair is supposed to be!

But it is obvious that many of us should take a trip to Africa so we can gain our dignity back as black people and stop walking around here in a trance that the white man put us in! On that note it is obvious you are a child..........I am a grown a-- woman and don't have time for children! The first three letters of the word ignorant is IGNORE!

Old 07-21-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Most people don't like their natural looks. That's why we have hair dye, perms, straighteners, scissors, makeups, botox, breast implants, lip enhancement (gross), colored contacts, tattoos, elevator shoes, diets, etc.

The grass is always greenier on the other side and I don't think blacks or anyone else has the lead in self-loathing!
Some excellent points. But people need to stop hiding behind excuses and call it what it is! If it is self loathing as you say then we need to be adults and call it what it is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI-dgdBmBtw

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 07-21-2009 at 05:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies