Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 08:57 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,952,308 times

Advertisements

Black Is Beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 09:21 AM

314 posts, read 1,037,172 times
Its all relative...

Old 07-21-2009, 10:42 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
LMAO you must only know 2 black people or are basing that on what you see on television. I prefer braids but my natural hair has been past my shoulders - in fact in my profile picture right now THAT is my hair (hair that is growing out of my scalp, not hair that I purchased). My mom has really soft hair so she wears hers natural and usually short. My sister's hair is naturally wavy and when she wets it it looks like has a jerri curl My sister-in-laws hair is so coarse it looks like she always has a relaxer but she rarely gets one...I could go on and on and on but I'm sure you get my drift.

Just because YOU can't tell the difference in our hair doesn't mean it's "pretty much the same". Please change your statement "to the black people I know all pretty much have the same hair"

Why does getting your hair relaxed the "slave mind"? I get my hair relaxed because it's more convenient to style when it's straightened.
It is the slave mind because we did not think anything was wrong with our hair when we lived in Africa. It was not until we stepped foot off the slave ship that the white man told us that there is something wrong with the way God created us. That is the slave mind! Fast forward to the present day.......I used to tell myself that I was just relaxing my hair for convenience too.......until I woke up and realized that my history as an African American in this country is what was influencing me to think that way. The thing about it is that now we no longer need white people to keep the brainwashing going.....we are doing it to ourselves everytime we decide to make the choice to perm our daughters hair......we are negatively influencing the new generation and giving them the same negative identity complex that we were given as children. When I hear people tell me that they only relax their hair because of convenience (by the way I hear that from other black women all the time)........I read between the lines........what I really hear is I think something is wrong with my hair so I relax it to fix the problem! We do not decide to change something on our bodies unless we believe there is something wrong with it.

What others do to their hair is their business......but while they are doing it they should take a moment to remember that what they are doing has it's roots in slavery! As I said I woke up from the slave mind over a year ago......I made a conscious decision to keep my hair the way God meant it to be when he created me.....God does not make mistakes!!

Black women are beautiful just the way God created us. I am sure you have heard the phrase "Black does not crack"! Therefore no amount of money or brainwashing would ever make me change this beautiful hair or beautiful color on my skin. We age beautifully and it is the very melanin in our skin that keeps us from aging badly. This skin color is like a natural fountain of youth!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmyUJroPwck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcnjzYIArBs

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 07-21-2009 at 11:05 AM..

Old 07-21-2009, 11:08 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
When I hear people tell me that they only relax their hair because of convenience (by the way I hear that from other black women all the time)........I read between the lines........what I really hear is I think something is wrong with my hair so I relax it to fix the problem! We do not decide to change something on our bodies unless we believe there is something wrong with it.
I don't dislike my natural hair - what I dislike is spending an hour washing and deep conditioning my hair, sitting under a blow dryer for another hour so that it can dry and then another hour to get it flat ironed or straightened with a hot comb. I also dislike the fact that if my hair gets damp that all that flat ironing will become null and void and I won't be able to comb through it - of course if you're wearing dreads humidity is not an everyday issue for you.

I relax my hair because it's convenient.
I own a microwave for the same reason - yes I could heat up my leftovers in the oven but the microwave is faster.

You can read between the lines and hear whatever you want to; if you feel that you ever have a slave mind that’s your personal life – don’t try to act like you represent the rest of us.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:10 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,843,743 times
white people hate being white. if they didn't, they wouldn't spend so much money " tanning."

Old 07-21-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I don't dislike my natural hair - what I dislike is spending an hour washing and deep conditioning my hair, sitting under a blow dryer for another hour so that it can dry and then another hour to get it flat ironed or straightened with a hot comb. I also dislike the fact that if my hair gets damp that all that flat ironing will become null and void and I won't be able to comb through it - of course if you're wearing dreads humidity is not an everyday issue for you.

I relax my hair because it's convenient.
I own a microwave for the same reason - yes I could heat up my leftovers in the oven but the microwave is faster.

You can read between the lines and hear whatever you want to; if you feel that you ever have a slave mind that’s your personal life – don’t try to act like you represent the rest of us.
You can tell yourself whatever you want to tell yourself (I know the truth).........that is your body. All of this about the work involved with flat ironing to get natural hair straight again after washing it...........that is not a necessity, natural hair can be washed, conditioned and left alone. All natural hair needs is to be clean, conditioned and after that it is air dryed on its own........that thought that if you wear it natural then you have to flat iron it to straighten it out is the slave mind and defeats the whole purpose of wearing it natural in the first place! This is my opinion......just like you are on here expressing your opinion.

Therefore I feel that we conduct ourselves this way because of the slave mind..........and I stand by that belief!

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 07-21-2009 at 11:31 AM..

Old 07-21-2009, 12:03 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
You can tell yourself whatever you want to tell yourself (I know the truth).........that is your body. All of this about the work involved with flat ironing to get natural hair straight again after washing it...........that is not a necessity, natural hair can be washed, conditioned and left alone. All natural hair needs is to be clean, conditioned and after that it is air dryed on its own........that thought that if you wear it natural then you have to flat iron it to straighten it out is the slave mind and defeats the whole purpose of wearing it natural in the first place! This is my opinion......just like you are on here expressing your opinion.

Therefore I feel that we conduct ourselves this way because of the slave mind..........and I stand by that belief!

You can state your opinions about hair but you can't say that all of us who choose to relax our hair are still under the "slave mind" and that you know the "truth" about the reasoning behind why anybody else besides you chooses to do what they do.

And actually natural hair just means absent of chemicals - most people I know who choose natural styles do so because they believe it's healthier for their hair; but they still use flat irons, curling irons, hair rollers etc. That’s a common misconception that black women have; oh I’m going natural so I have to get dreads, braids, an afro or twists.

Styling your hair does not defeat the purpose of wearing it natural.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:41 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,244 times
Can you expand upon what you mean when you say your natural hair is not manageable? Is it that you were primarily trying to wear you curly/kinky hair straight?

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
Yes exactly. I took Psychology of the Black Experience this past semester and our professor who is natural, tried and tried to say that those of us who had relaxed hair were ashamed and had the slave mindset.

For me, that's not the case. I explained to her in an essay that I am proud to be a black woman with many other races mixed in. My hair texture is not managable without being relaxed...and I made the choice to relax my hair when I got old enough.

While in college in Philly the "in" thing to do was to be natural so I tried it for a long time, but times got tuff and I no longer could get my hair done every 2 weeks.

Its about manage and what I feel looks better on me. I do not knock anyone for going natural...I think its beautiful, yet its not for me, and Im not ashamed of anything.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
You can state your opinions about hair but you can't say that all of us who choose to relax our hair are still under the "slave mind" and that you know the "truth" about the reasoning behind why anybody else besides you chooses to do what they do.

And actually natural hair just means absent of chemicals - most people I know who choose natural styles do so because they believe it's healthier for their hair; but they still use flat irons, curling irons, hair rollers etc. That’s a common misconception that black women have; oh I’m going natural so I have to get dreads, braids, an afro or twists.

Styling your hair does not defeat the purpose of wearing it natural.
This idea about straightening our hair was not created by us (African Americans) but was put in our minds by the white man/woman during slavery......then that is the slave mind.......I can call it whatever I want to call it, that is why America is America.....we can say what we want to say!

Having this debate back and forth with me does not change the fact that we are in the slave mind in the black community....don't hate the messenger!!

Old 07-21-2009, 12:42 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,244 times
Wow, that is really an outrageous and uninformed comment.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
That's the product of over education.

I ran into a lot of those "afro-centric" women in college. Yes, aren't you so proud of your African roots with your dreads and afros while driving a Camry and carrying a LV bag. If you really wanted to connect with your roots you'd walk and carry your books in a basket on your head

LOL you too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies