Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2009, 09:16 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,891,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
And put more people out of work...
LOL....that is rich...Mrs Obama is just doing her bit to keep people working...

At NO cost to herself of course,it is all on the people's dime.

We are currently in a terrible economic situation and people here are defending the First Lady having this huge staff...

Perhaps Maher was correct about Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 09:32 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,650,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
did anyone criticize the bush administration for the size of laura bush's staff?

it seems like there's been a trend in the last few days of posting basic things about the presidency, secret service, etc that have been standard practice forever as if they are new to obama and just terrible things to do.

things like:

the first lady having a staff
secret service agents having guns drawn and windows rolled down in a motorcade
the first family travelling with the president on state visits

maybe it's been going on longer than that, i'm kind of new to this board.
Actually, if you read the entire thread many people have criticized the amount of staff Laura Bush had, and Hilary Clinton had and Nancy Reagan had etc etc...
I don't like to dog on the first lady in any way shape or form. However, this is excessive whether it is a republican doing it or a democrat.
Are there people who are mad about it only because it is MO? Probably - but not all.

---and I do agree with you that bi*ching about the family going on state visits, how absurd! Of course Obamas wife and children should go with him. What an incredible experience for those girls.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
And put more people out of work...
The Obamas are rich in their own right - perhaps they could let loose some of that income and hire their own staff once it gets beyond five or six..

Old 08-01-2009, 09:53 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Actually, if you read the entire thread many people have criticized the amount of staff Laura Bush had, and Hilary Clinton had and Nancy Reagan had etc etc...
I don't like to dog on the first lady in any way shape or form. However, this is excessive whether it is a republican doing it or a democrat.
Are there people who are mad about it only because it is MO? Probably - but not all.

---and I do agree with you that bi*ching about the family going on state visits, how absurd! Of course Obamas wife and children should go with him. What an incredible experience for those girls.
Well, it did start out as criticism of MO. The OP seemed to think she was the first First Lady to have a staff. Then others pointed out that it is common, indeed maybe necessary, for the First Lady to have a staff.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:05 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,464,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, it did start out as criticism of MO. The OP seemed to think she was the first First Lady to have a staff. Then others pointed out that it is common, indeed maybe necessary, for the First Lady to have a staff.
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is what I think and you know that about me again WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you psychic?

WE ARE IN A RECESSION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!! do you grasp that?

I dont care about previous they ran a platform on CHANGE of all the bull that is in Washington, yet they continue it on a larger scale even!!!!!!!!!

WE ARE BROKE they should be setting the example! And they are being just shameful about spending our money on crap!!!!!!!

Old 08-01-2009, 10:09 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times
Yes, I am psychic!

It was a criticism of MO.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:54 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,687,607 times
Quote:
i read the whole thread.

i don't recall clinton coming up at all, and the other posts were just pointing out that this is nothing new. i didn't see anything criticizing the former first ladies.

one person claimed that liberals went "bonkers" over laura bush's staff at the time but did nothing to substantiate that claim.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:17 PM

526 posts, read 1,758,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
“In my own life, in my own small way, I have tried to give back to this country that has given me so much,” she said. “See, that’s why I left a job at a big law firm for a career in public service, “ Michelle Obama

No, Michele Obama does not get paid to serve as the First Lady and she doesn’t perform any official duties. But this hasn’t deterred her from hiring an unprecedented number of staffers to cater to her every whim and to satisfy her every request in the midst of the Great Recession.

1. $172,2000 - Sher, Susan (CHIEF OF STAFF)
  2. $140,000 - Frye, Jocelyn C. (DEPUTY ASSISTANT TO THE PRESIDENT AND DIRECTOR OF POLICY AND PROJECTS FOR THE FIRST LADY)
  3. $113,000 - Rogers, Desiree G. (SPECIAL ASSISTANT TO THE PRESIDENT AND WHITE HOUSE SOCIAL SECRETARY)
  4. $102,000 - Johnston, Camille Y. (SPECIAL ASSISTANT TO THE PRESIDENT AND DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS FOR THE FIRST LADY)
  5. Winter, Melissa E. (SPECIAL ASSISTANT TO THE PRESIDENT AND DEPUTY CHIEF OF STAFF TO THE FIRST LADY)
  6. $90,000 - Medina, David S. (DEPUTY CHIEF OF STAFF TO THE FIRST LADY)
  7. $84,000 - Lelyveld, Catherine M. (DIRECTOR AND PRESS SECRETARY TO THE FIRST LADY)
  8. $75,000 - Starkey, Frances M. (DIRECTOR OF SCHEDULING AND ADVANCE FOR THE FIRST LADY)
  9. $70,000 - Sanders, Trooper (DEPUTY DIRECTOR OF POLICY AND PROJECTS FOR THE FIRST LADY)
  10. $65,000 - Burnough, Erinn J. (DEPUTY DIRECTOR AND DEPUTY SOCIAL SECRETARY)
  11. Reinstein, Joseph B. (DEPUTY DIRECTOR AND DEPUTY SOCIAL SECRETARY)
  12. $62,000 - Goodman, Jennifer R. (DEPUTY DIRECTOR OF SCHEDULING AND EVENTS COORDINATOR FOR THE FIRST LADY)
  13. $60,000 - Fitts, Alan O. (DEPUTY DIRECTOR OF ADVANCE AND TRIP DIRECTOR FOR THE FIRST LADY)
  14. Lewis, Dana M. (SPECIAL ASSISTANT AND PERSONAL AIDE TO THE FIRST LADY)
  15. $52,500 - Mustaphi, Semonti M. (ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR AND DEPUTY PRESS SECRETARY TO THE FIRST LADY)
  16. $50,000 - Jarvis, Kristen E. (SPECIAL ASSISTANT FOR SCHEDULING AND TRAVELING AIDE TO THE FIRST LADY)
  17. $45,000 - Lechtenberg, Tyler A. (ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR OF CORRESPONDENCE FOR THE FIRST LADY)
  18. Tubman, Samantha (DEPUTY ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR,SOCIAL OFFICE)
  19. $40,000 - Boswell, Joseph J. (EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT TO THE CHIEF OF STAFF TO THE FIRST LADY)
  20. $36,000 - Armbruster, Sally M. (STAFF ASSISTANT TO THE SOCIAL SECRETARY)
  21. Bookey, Natalie (STAFF ASSISTANT)
  22. Jackson, Deilia A. (DEPUTY ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR OF CORRESPONDENCE FOR THE FIRST LADY)

First Lady requires more than twenty attendants

Don't you get it, you need to spend more to get out of recessions lol.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:13 PM

37,152 posts, read 42,269,129 times
Quote:
Do they need the staff or do they want the staff? Two very different things....
I don't know what they NEED. Neither does anyone posting here, which was my point. I have no idea what goes on at that level, it has a world wide reach and isn't just some "lady of the manor" having to deal with social invitations and tea parties.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i read the whole thread.

i don't recall clinton coming up at all, and the other posts were just pointing out that this is nothing new. i didn't see anything criticizing the former first ladies.

one person claimed that liberals went "bonkers" over laura bush's staff at the time but did nothing to substantiate that claim.
Well, then you didn't read the thread as I do recall posting several times that Jackie O and Laura Bush were wrong to have such huge tax funded staffs. I also recall posting that had I been aware of C-D (if it even existed) at the time when Laura Bushs staff numbers became news I certainly would have posted my disgust about it.

You may be right about Hillary Clinton not coming up - but I do distinctly remember the other first ladies mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies