Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you as a dem believe Al Gore truly won Florida in 2000 and should have been president?
Yes 28 70.00%
No 12 30.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 01:30 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,221,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I wasn't blaming the voters at all. I said that it was the butterfly ballot and Nader's candidacy that contributed to Gore's loss.
I apologize, thought you were blaming the voter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 02:14 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,582,155 times
as a Floridian who voted in the 2000 Election I feel that US Supreme Court trampled on Florida's state's rights and handed the vote to Dubya. The were other issues regarding the debacle including the "butterfly ballot" in Palm Beach county and having over 10,000 Jewish voters from the Century Village retirement community who voted for Pat Buchanan!! The worst was having Bush hire our Sec of State Katherine Harriss as his campaign manager for our state knowing full well she is the official who would certify the votes in Florida. So angry were voters at her that when she ran for Congress voters rejected her. Also there were many reports of black voters being disenfranshed that day including non stop coverage on the local news on how the largest black precint in Miami didn't open until 3 PM because voting booths & ballots didn't arrive in time. There was no mandate for Dubya in Florida since he "officialy" won by 537 votes in a state that cast 6 million votes. I do believe that Gore did win the state of Florida and the Presidency.

PS: I'm a registered Independent

Last edited by MiamiRob; 07-14-2009 at 02:26 AM..

Old 07-14-2009, 06:31 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,010,062 times
Bush v. Gore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Conversely, the majority opinion was criticized by Harvard University law professor Alan Dershowitz, who wrote:
[T]he decision in the Florida election case may be ranked as the single most corrupt decision in Supreme Court history, because it is the only one that I know of where the majority justices decided as they did because of the personal identity and political affiliation of the litigants. This was cheating, and a violation of the judicial oath.[45]

http://www.iwantmyvote.com/lib/downl...tus_report.pdf

Here's the true record. not some newspaper article out of Fla.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:45 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,738,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I don't know the recount was not finished and it did not extend to all counties so it would be difficult to tell. I was not thrilled about all the stays on recounting that were issued to slow the recount down, and the possibility of irreparable harm argument, but at the deadline Bush had the most legal votes so he won. Would the results have been different if a full recount would have taken place? Who knows.
The problem with the recount is that Gore only wanted to do a recount in counties where he was stronger. In other words it was a selective recount and the Florida Supreme Court was prepared to let him do that. That was changing the rules of the game after the game had been played. In point of fact a consortium of newspapers (lead by the NY Times) recounted all the votes cast and Bush still won. So a fair recount of all the votes would have confirmed Bush's victory. But that's not what Gore wanted.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:55 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,738,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post
This is utterly false. If it is factual record, then back it up. I won't hold my breath.

Here is evidence to the contrary.

The Palm Beach Post -- PalmBeachPost.com (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/search/content/news/election2000/bush_wins.html - broken link)
That pretty much says it all, doesn't it?

Old 07-14-2009, 12:26 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,582,155 times
^ JimMe why would Gore want a recount of counties where it is obvious that Bush won those counties? If Bush carried a county by 50% plus why would he dispute those results in that particular county especially when he would probably have to pay for it? Gore simply was contesting counties where there were obvious irregularities.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:36 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,795,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post
If you are liberal or a democrat, do you believe that Al Gore really won the state of Florida in 2000 and thereby rightfully won the election, only to have the Supreme Court take it away?
I believe that, in terms of the raw vote count, Bush may well have won BUT I also believe that the election was stolen by deliberate efforts of making a defective "butterfly" ballot that was confusing to many voters- especially older voters in south Florida. That is evidenced by the large number of votes that Pat Buchannon got.
But if you really want to place the biggest blame for Florida that would be on Janet Reno and her mishandling of the Elian fiasco. That is what riled the Cubans who otherwise might have sit out the election or even voted for Gore. And it was Bill who hired her.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:37 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,054,697 times
He certainly won the majority vote, that's for sure. By that standard, he should've been president.

However, we're not a true Democracy. We have the Electoral College, which is the real selector of Presidents, not popular vote.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:49 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,440,626 times
Quote:
Do you as a dem believe Al Gore truly won Florida in 2000 and should have been president?
Yes.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:38 AM

14 posts, read 16,120 times
Thumbs up Well done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
Yes.
You're asked a simple question, and you give a simple answer. To which I concur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies