Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 08:19 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,292,156 times

Advertisements

I'm getting sick of people loosing their proverbial heads over this tax increase. High taxes did not destroy this great country in the 50s,60s, or 70s and they will not destroy this country in the near future.

Serious you people are worse than the news outlets in the way you over-hype this stuff.

I'll take this directly from Jack Kemp who helped bring about the massive tax breaks across all sectors in the early 1980s. Please people stop attempting to re-write history.

Please read

"In 1978, I had, along with my Senate colleague Bill Roth of Delaware, co-sponsored the Kemp-Roth Bill that advocated a 30 percent across-the-board tax rate cut. The top rate in the '70s was 70 percent, and the capital gains rate was 49 percent. I argued that lower tax rates on labor and capital would grow the economy and put an end to the Keynesian dilemma of simultaneous inflation coupled to recession." - Jack Kemp

Tax Cuts Are Right for the 21st Century - HUMAN EVENTS

Remember the song by the Bare naked Ladies "It's all BEEN DONE BEFORE! You ever hear that song, we'll politics are just like the song says, "It's all been done before"

[SIZE=5][SIZE=2]"It's All Been Done" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTf1_qtSbjc&feature=related

I met you before the fall of Rome
And I begged you to let me take you home
You were wrong, I was right
You said goodbye, I said goodnight

It's all been done
It's all been done
It's all been done before

I knew you before the west was won
And I heard you say the past
was much more fun
You go your way, I go mine
But I'll see you next time

It's all been done
It's all been done

And if I put my fingers here, and if I say
"I love you, dear"
And if I play the same three chords,
Will you just yawn and say

It's all been done
It's all been done

Alone and bored on a thirtieth-century night
Will I see you on The Price Is Right?
Will I cry? Will I smile?
As you run down the aisle?

It's all been done
It's all been done

[/SIZE][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 08:27 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,092,438 times
If you're saying that 70% taxes aren't really that bad so therefore 50% is a wonderful thing, then I'm not buying it. Who is going to work with nearly 3/4 of their paycheck going to the FEDERAL government. How much would be left to pay California state taxes and then San Fran's city taxes?

Even those happy to pay 70% of their salary to taxes, if it climbs to 80%, even actors and the homeless will quit earning money.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:28 PM

422 posts, read 757,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorock99 View Post
I'm getting sick of people loosing their proverbial heads over this tax increase. High taxes did not destroy this great country in the 50s,60s, or 70s and they will not destroy this country in the near future.

Serious you people are worse than the news outlets in the way you over-hype this stuff.

I'll take this directly from Jack Kemp who helped bring about the massive tax breaks across all sectors in the early 1980s. Please people stop attempting to re-write history.

Please read

"In 1978, I had, along with my Senate colleague Bill Roth of Delaware, co-sponsored the Kemp-Roth Bill that advocated a 30 percent across-the-board tax rate cut. The top rate in the '70s was 70 percent, and the capital gains rate was 49 percent. I argued that lower tax rates on labor and capital would grow the economy and put an end to the Keynesian dilemma of simultaneous inflation coupled to recession." - Jack Kemp

Tax Cuts Are Right for the 21st Century - HUMAN EVENTS

Remember the song by the Bare naked Ladies "It's all BEEN DONE BEFORE! You ever hear that song, we'll politics are just like the song says, "It's all been done before"

[SIZE=5][SIZE=2]"It's All Been Done"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTf1_qtSbjc&feature=related

I met you before the fall of Rome
And I begged you to let me take you home
You were wrong, I was right
You said goodbye, I said goodnight

It's all been done
It's all been done

I knew you before the west was won
And I heard you say the past
was much more fun
You go your way, I go mine
But I'll see you next time

It's all been done
It's all been done

And if I put my fingers here, and if I say
"I love you, dear"
And if I play the same three chords,
Will you just yawn and say

It's all been done
It's all been done

Alone and bored on a thirtieth-century night
Will I see you on The Price Is Right?
Will I cry? Will I smile?
As you run down the aisle?

It's all been done
It's all been done

[/SIZE][/SIZE]

well said

Old 07-16-2009, 08:30 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,769,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
If you're saying that 70% taxes aren't really that bad so therefore 50% is a wonderful thing, then I'm not buying it. Who is going to work with nearly 3/4 of their paycheck going to the FEDERAL government. How much would be left to pay California state taxes and then San Fran's city taxes?

Even those happy to pay 70% of their salary to taxes, if it climbs to 80%, even actors and the homeless will quit earning money.
Only the very wealthy would pay such a rate. 50% of $100 million still leaves you with $50 million which is still decent money.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:39 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Well then why don't we raise them across the board. You have to remmeber that many more paid taxes then then now and few got any entitlements and therefore most were suporting the government. Things like the capital gains increases means more like 655 to teh welthy. The question is would anyone risk investment when it adds to risk verus reward. Less reward means that people will not rsk investing in many thing s that creat jobs ;rather in things that don't ;such as investment in foreign markets. We have the seconf high corporate tax rates i the world how. The ral preoblem is we have 50% not paying any taxes and 69% paying less than they get in services.Its not hard to see the problem.I can remmeber paying federal income tax when i worked during clooege in the early 60's for example.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:41 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
I had an interesting thought around July 4th. I heard the discussion of taxes and how many we pay, so I am planning to start August 1 and try to figure out what portion of our bills, etc. are really taxes and keep a log of what we are really paying. Want to join me in it?

You will need a box to keep the receipts in and a book to record the amount. I guess it would be all right to use the computer programs you have to record this too. A few calculations will be necessary to figure out how much of each gallon of gas is really taxes. Anyone have a link. I think a trip tik from AAA we had once showed it for every state. I am sure it is on the internet somewhere.

I am talking about all taxes, such as alcohol, cigarettes, etc. Anything you spend money on that has a tax anywhere on it. I think it is probably impossible for the average person to know about all the taxes, but we can try.

Income is not the only taxes we pay by a long shot.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:52 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,092,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Only the very wealthy would pay such a rate. 50% of $100 million still leaves you with $50 million which is still decent money.
With that tax rate, even lottery winners would be angry and they did little to earn their $100 million (well, actually $50 million and a smile).

Old 07-16-2009, 08:54 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,974,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It will leave you millions more in another country.

I'd move.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:56 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
Presidents
1950--1979 covers presidents from Truman to Carter.
Nothing else really needs to be said.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:00 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,326,750 times
Default Tax Rate in the 50s - 70s was more than 70%

GEE! What did the government DO with all that money?

I know what I would do. I'd fix my car, paint my house, if I had one, and take 2-week vacations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies