Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 08:55 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,151,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marfa View Post
Agreed, but on the other hand, the officer showed up alone at Gates' door just after he learned that an attempted break-in had occurred while he had been in China (the reason the door was jammed)
Isn't this part of the whole incident? The officer gets a call that two men are trying to break into the house. The officer is trying to get Gates to leave the home so he can be sure that the intruders are not already inside the home. The officer has to assume the possibility that Gates in unaware that two burglars are inside his home, without Gate's knowledge. And from what i have heard, Gates was completely uncooperative. In other words, Gates is doing his best to obstruct and investigation.

If two men were hiding out in Gate's home, the officer may have saved his butt by arresting him. I'm not trying to justify the arrest, just trying to bring a little reality into the possibilities. How many break ins occur when the home owners stumble upon people breaking into their home?

Quote:
I disagree. He only commented on the factors with which he was familiar. And, again, the vast majority of his comments regarded the second portion of the question, "What does this say about America?" His answer was honest, and based on vast amounts of research he had studied regarding the issue. As a senator, he sponsored a bill that addressed the issue of racial profiling. He did not speak on this matter out of ignorance.
Just because the reporter wished to sensationalize the incident, and characterize it as a racially motivated incident, does not mean the POTUS should oblige her, especially when he knows he does not have the facts. That is the part you are always missing. It is unseemly and totally inappropriate for the president to talk out his ass about controversial incidents that he knows next to nothing about.

Last edited by Wapasha; 07-25-2009 at 09:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 09:04 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
if anyone is losing its u since ur bringing political ideology garbage into this...what else can u expect from_______________
Political?? What part of any of this is political?

Any president making assertive comments when he knows he is speaking from a position of complete and utter ignorance, should have his feet held to the fire. Its not political at all.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:22 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,829,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Political?? What part of any of this is political?

Any president making assertive comments when he knows he is speaking from a position of complete and utter ignorance, should have his feet held to the fire. Its not political at all.
who said anything about obama i was talking about u and your comment about liberals which was unnecessary

Old 07-25-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marfa
Agreed, but on the other hand, the officer showed up alone at Gates' door just after he learned that an attempted break-in had occurred while he had been in China (the reason the door was jammed)
the attempted break in while he was in china, so the officers are now showing up what happened then did they not show and inspect the property like they should ve.

still the officer didnt show ID and was being a smartallic

Old 07-25-2009, 10:44 AM

10,023 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
the attempted break in while he was in china, so the officers are now showing up what happened then did they not show and inspect the property like they should ve.

That is not true. It was a reported crime in progress, they weren't responding to a days old report. Officer Crowley identified himself twice to Professor Gates when he was asked for his name. Gates never asked to see any identification from the officer, only the name because he wanted to call the Chief to complain about a "racist" cop.

If you read the police report, you would know that.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:08 PM

Location: A wonderful, socioeconomically, ethnically, and culturally diverse little town
70 posts, read 74,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
That is not true. It was a reported crime in progress, they weren't responding to a days old report. Officer Crowley identified himself twice to Professor Gates when he was asked for his name. Gates never asked to see any identification from the officer, only the name because he wanted to call the Chief to complain about a "racist" cop.

I did read the entire report. Now, you reread my post (more carefully, this time) and try again.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:18 PM

Location: A wonderful, socioeconomically, ethnically, and culturally diverse little town
Quote:

The police were responding to the call they had just received about Gates. The attempted break-in to which I referred was not reported. Gates could not open the door because someone had broken it while attempting to enter his home during his absence. While Gates' driver was trying to get it open for him, a neighbor called police, and this is the call to which police responded. Great! They were right to do so, and to ask for his identification. What they were not right in doing was luring him outside and then arresting him for "alarming" the gawking neighbors (who were so "alarmed" they refused to leave) after Gates had complied and given them his identification.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
The police were responding to the call they had just received about Gates. The attempted break-in to which I referred was not reported. Gates could not open the door because someone had broken it while attempting to enter his home during his absence. While Gates' driver was trying to get it open for him, a neighbor called police, and this is the call to which police responded. Great! They were right to do so, and to ask for his identification. What they were not right in doing was luring him outside and then arresting him for "alarming" the gawking neighbors (who were so "alarmed" they refused to leave) after Gates had complied and given them his identification.

so gates neighbor do not know who he is, u know what i bet he/she doesand wanted to stur up some mess which did happen, thank the neighbor

Old 07-25-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post

You are mistaken. In page two of Officer Crowley's report, he himself indicates that Gates asked to see his identification, but he did not provide it, though he is required by law to do so. "If you read the police report, you would know that." As for the call to police, there was no call made regarding the real attempted break-in at Gates' home, as he had just discovered the broken door.

Last edited by Marfa; 07-25-2009 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: Added, "If you read the police report, you would know that."

Old 07-25-2009, 02:56 PM

10,023 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
so gates neighbor do not know who he is, u know what i bet he/she doesand wanted to stur up some mess which did happen, thank the neighbor
She's not a "neighbor" she's employed in the area and happened to be walking by the house.

Quote:
I did read the entire report. Now, you reread my post (more carefully, this time) and try again.
I don't know which one of your posts you are talking about.

The problem with the national reporting on this issue is that it leaves out many of the details that are known to us locals. I guess that is typical of many news stories, but they left out so many facts that give a better picture of what really happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies