Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2009, 08:46 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
You have read US History from 1890- present?

Doesn't seem so, based upon your posts.
Please elucidate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 08:47 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Being healthy is a privilege? Didn't know that...what about recent college grads that can't find jobs? What about those that fought in Iraq and now are unemployed? What about the elderly that were helped build this nation? I think they all "earned" healthcare, yet many are denied on the basis of economics, circumstance, and/or the stupid selection process we have in the insurance industry.
I never said being healthy a priviledge.

What does being unemployed have to do with this topic?

College grads deserve health care?

The elderly who have worked and earned the right to healthcare because they have paid into the system.

Iraq vets already get healthcare. They earned it.

Handing out free health care to certain people is the same as your selection process.

Maybe you did not understand my post but I am against free handout health care to just anyone and I am for those who have worked hard and earned healthcare to have it.

No one has the right to just be handed free healthcare when most of us who have healthcare and like it have earned it through working.

No handouts, no freebies.

If you cannot find a job to pay for your healthcare thank Obama for that.

If I did not have healthcare I would work 2-3 jobs if I need to get health care for me and my family.

I do not need a handout and I do not want the government controlling my healthcare.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:48 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,000,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Please elucidate.
The Response to Industrialism, 1885-1914: Book Review | Bookstove

http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/Causes.htm

"The fact that the Great Depression began in 1929, then, on the Republicans' watch, is a great embarrassment to conservative economists. Many try to blame the worsening of the Depression on Hoover, for supposedly betraying the laissez-faire ideology. As the time line in the next section will show, however, almost all of Hoover's government action occurred during his last year in office, long after the worst of the Depression had hit. In fact, he was voted out of office for doing "too little too late." The only notable exception to his earlier idleness was the Smoot-Hawley tariff of 1930, whose minor impact we shall explore in more detail later on.

But much more importantly, the economy was clearly turning downward even before Hoover took office in 1929. Entire sectors of the economy were depressed throughout the decade, like agriculture, energy and mining. Even the two industries with the most spectacular growth -- construction and automobile manufacturing -- were contracting in the year before the stock market crash of 1929. About 600 banks a year were failing. Half the American people lived at or below the minimum subsistence level. By the time the stock market crashed, there was a major glut of goods on the market, with inventories three times their normal size.

The fact that all this occurred even before the first act of government intervention is a major refutation of laissez-faire ideology. (More)"

Ben was farting dust by then.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:56 PM

I am sorry to say these in no way relates to the Franklin quote I posted.

“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world’s greatest civilizations has been about 200 years. These nations have progressed through this sequence: From bondage to spiritual faith; From spiritual faith to great courage; From courage to liberty; From liberty to abundance; From abundance to selfishness; From selfishness to apathy; From apathy to dependence; From dependence back into bondage.â€

Ben Franklin

People now are voting for the person who is promising them the most from public largesse, "free" healthcare, which causes loose fiscal policy the largest deficit in US history by a factor of 4.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
I am sorry to say these in no way relates to the Franklin quote I posted.

“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world’s greatest civilizations has been about 200 years. These nations have progressed through this sequence: From bondage to spiritual faith; From spiritual faith to great courage; From courage to liberty; From liberty to abundance; From abundance to selfishness; From selfishness to apathy; From apathy to dependence; From dependence back into bondage.”

Ben Franklin

People now are voting for the person who is promising them the most from public largesse, "free" healthcare, which causes loose fiscal policy the largest deficit in US history by a factor of 4.
Yes it does, Franklin was a man of the 18th century.

That he would not know that the major economic and social ideas of his age have been proven wrong is truly understandable, as he was dead.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
The Response to Industrialism, 1885-1914: Book Review | Bookstove

Causes of the Great Depression

"The fact that the Great Depression began in 1929, then, on the Republicans' watch, is a great embarrassment to conservative economists. Many try to blame the worsening of the Depression on Hoover, for supposedly betraying the laissez-faire ideology. As the time line in the next section will show, however, almost all of Hoover's government action occurred during his last year in office, long after the worst of the Depression had hit. In fact, he was voted out of office for doing "too little too late." The only notable exception to his earlier idleness was the Smoot-Hawley tariff of 1930, whose minor impact we shall explore in more detail later on.

But much more importantly, the economy was clearly turning downward even before Hoover took office in 1929. Entire sectors of the economy were depressed throughout the decade, like agriculture, energy and mining. Even the two industries with the most spectacular growth -- construction and automobile manufacturing -- were contracting in the year before the stock market crash of 1929. About 600 banks a year were failing. Half the American people lived at or below the minimum subsistence level. By the time the stock market crashed, there was a major glut of goods on the market, with inventories three times their normal size.

The fact that all this occurred even before the first act of government intervention is a major refutation of laissez-faire ideology. (More)"

Ben was farting dust by then.

By the way that is a pretty simplistic look at the great depression.

http://www.qando.net/ - FDR’s Policies extended the Depression by 7 years

I would submit FDRs actions began the notion that government will take care of you that leads us to where we are today.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:01 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I never said being healthy a priviledge.

Having healthcare essentially ensures that when you are sick or injured, you will be able to remain healthy.

What does being unemployed have to do with this topic?

If you are unemployed, you typically don't have healthcare.

College grads deserve health care?

Yeah, being the future leaders and all...kind of a requsite to this is ensuring health. This ensures high levels of productivity.

The elderly who have worked and earned the right to healthcare because they have paid into the system.

Yet, they comprise the unisured of the United States as well. Since they are a high risk group...they can't qualify for certain programs.

Iraq vets already get healthcare. They earned it.

Not all vets...currently 12% of those uninsured are vets.

Handing out free health care to certain people is the same as your selection process.

Actually one study showed that there could potentially be MORE economic adverse effects with the current selection. This is because some companies will have to take the adverse risk group and in doing so are not able to compete. They go under and now there are more people without healthcare...that's the gist of the argument... I found it on Jstor last night Also, it's not the same selection BTW.

Maybe you did not understand my post but I am against free handout health care to just anyone and I am for those who have worked hard and earned healthcare to have it.

No I understand your post...I take issue that healthcare is something earned. I currently worked on a case in which a lady was denied health insurance because of tennis elbow. Since she and her husband owned a business she is not eligible to obtain a group program...thus, she is SOL. What she thought was a great way to stay in shape, actually turned out to be her undoing.

No one has the right to just be handed free healthcare when most of us who have healthcare and like it have earned it through working.

No handouts, no freebies.

If you cannot find a job to pay for your healthcare thank Obama for that.

Actually, not Obama, but rather the system that was put in place A LONG time ago.

If I did not have healthcare I would work 2-3 jobs if I need to get health care for me and my family.

We could deny you on several things...if you exhibit too much anxiety, if you recently had an injury, etc...sometimes it's not cost.

I do not need a handout and I do not want the government controlling my healthcare.

A little regulation is needed. Maybe not free healthcare, but rather cheaper healthcare. One that doesn't deny you on the basis of health.
So okay, maybe not "free" healthcare, but one that is not as cost prohibitive and health prohibitive.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Yes it does, Franklin was a man of the 18th century.

That he would not know that the major economic and social ideas of his age have been proven wrong is truly understandable, as he was dead.

His observations were independent of economics but rather a reflection of human behavior. People when people realize they can vote themselves someone elses money, they will. We are seeing what he said 200 years ago becoming reality.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
By the way that is a pretty simplistic look at the great depression.

http://www.qando.net/ - FDR’s Policies extended the Depression by 7 years

I would submit FDRs actions began the notion that government will take care of you that leads us to where we are today.
I suggest you look at mainstream analysis of History.

FDR saved capitalism, as the present depression shows.

Remember Milton's idea of how to get out of the 30's one? The idea that your (discredited) source uses?

Didn't work as planned.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
I suggest you look at mainstream analysis of History.

FDR saved capitalism, as the present depression shows.

Remember Milton's idea of how to get out of the 30's one? The idea that your (discredited) source uses?

Didn't work as planned.

Of course I look at mainstream analysis of the depression but I think the UCLA study is worthy of a read. Yes there are people who are invested in the FDR cult but that doesn't discredit UCLA and now Penn since one of the authors now teaches there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies