Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 03:41 PM

133 posts, read 173,846 times

Advertisements

This week my husband said he was going to drop his drawers and bend over and put a sign on his backside concerning health care. We want to know how can half the country hate something so bad, and the other half be willing to take whatever is thrown at them, and the congress still wants to take it to the floor for a vote. What's the rush? Now we know Obama is really not into doing things too fast. After all, he waited 16 years to pay his parking tickets in Cambridge. He says all the sob stories have him upset, and things need to move faster in D.C. Whatever. We don't really buy that do we? He's not even a good politician. When he lies, I still don't believe it.

Last edited by HoldMeBack; 07-24-2009 at 03:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 07:17 AM

272 posts, read 295,759 times
Because you have health care or can afford to pay for your own health care you do not see the need to hurry. Hurry.... how many years has our coutry known it would have to do something about health care and how much smarter were other countries that they have already done something about it.

Until you are in a position of losing a job, or having a job without insurance, or having a child graduate from college and worry about the time he or she is uninsured, or the 3 months wait when starting a job before insurance kicks in, or pre-existing conditions or a company who lays you off because you got cancer and they can no longer afford the insurance increase, or having to pay for your own policy and the increase is 12% a year which is 1/3 of your salary, or your company decides they can no afford insurance, or you got sick and can't work... until you experience it you probably won't know why not only the need for change but to do it quickly. My best friend has insurance her son got cancer not only did she have to worry about the chances of her son dying she also worried about whether or not she was going to lose everything she worked for for the past 20 years ontop of losing her son. So until you can walk in someone elses shoes you won't understand unless you are an empathetic to others.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:01 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,344,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canear View Post
Because you have health care or can afford to pay for your own health care you do not see the need to hurry. Hurry.... how many years has our coutry known it would have to do something about health care and how much smarter were other countries that they have already done something about it.

Until you are in a position of losing a job, or having a job without insurance, or having a child graduate from college and worry about the time he or she is uninsured, or the 3 months wait when starting a job before insurance kicks in, or pre-existing conditions or a company who lays you off because you got cancer and they can no longer afford the insurance increase, or having to pay for your own policy and the increase is 12% a year which is 1/3 of your salary, or your company decides they can no afford insurance, or you got sick and can't work... until you experience it you probably won't know why not only the need for change but to do it quickly. My best friend has insurance her son got cancer not only did she have to worry about the chances of her son dying she also worried about whether or not she was going to lose everything she worked for for the past 20 years ontop of losing her son. So until you can walk in someone elses shoes you won't understand unless you are an empathetic to others.
The arguments against reform are nothing but uninformed scare tactics that date back to the Truman era. Yes, the health insurance argument is that old. You bring up very valid points.

For the life of me, I can't understand why folks don't want out country to evolve. Businesses evolve or die. Opponents are making arguments on principle and not the facts. We sit here an watch the deterioration of our manufacturing sector and do nothing. Businesses are fleeing to countries with universal health coverage and lower corporate taxes. Meanwhile, a loud minority of Americans are telling business and the uninsured to pull up harder on their boot straps. It's a travesty!

Old 07-25-2009, 08:07 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldMeBack View Post
This week my husband said he was going to drop his drawers and bend over and put a sign on his backside concerning health care. We want to know how can half the country hate something so bad, and the other half be willing to take whatever is thrown at them, and the congress still wants to take it to the floor for a vote. What's the rush? Now we know Obama is really not into doing things too fast. After all, he waited 16 years to pay his parking tickets in Cambridge. He says all the sob stories have him upset, and things need to move faster in D.C. Whatever. We don't really buy that do we? He's not even a good politician. When he lies, I still don't believe it.
Well, I kind of like posters who think for themselves instead of letting their spouses think for them.

If the health care system we have was so great, there wouldn't be this debate. For G**'s sake, what do Obama's parking tickets have to do with anything?

Old 07-25-2009, 09:07 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,674,486 times
I was never asked if I liked my coverage, when I had it. Must be 85% of people polled.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:08 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Why do you prefer insurance companies sticking it to you???

"Worship of the Wealthy" syndrome?

Old 07-25-2009, 09:11 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,563,631 times
Half of all Americans allready get their health care from the gov't in the form of Medicare and Medicade, retired, disabled, veterans etc.

but we get the usual scare tactics from the republicons.

I always thought the gop was the party of competition, what are they so scared of if we have 2 options?

I've never understood people who say "I don't want the gov't in charge of my healthcare" but at the same time they're OK with corporate america in charge of their healthcare. Why should an employer have such power over us?

we are the only country in the world without a mandate to coverage. All other similar countries the businesses don't have this as an expense but we continue to burden them with this cost. Yet the GOP is seen as pro-business.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:25 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,234,548 times
Quote:
Because you have health care or can afford to pay for your own health care you do not see the need to hurry. Hurry.... how many years has our country known it would have to do something about health care and how much smarter were other countries that they have already done something about it.
The U.S. has never known it has had to do anything about health care. There is nothing in the constitution that states the country must deal with health care. There are only pushy people, shouters, whiners, etc who claim the U.S. government must provide health care. There is no law as such, only those attempting to create one to satisfy their own beliefs of how the constitution should be applied to a nanny state.

Other countries being smarter, I take it, would include the likes of western european countries. Those same countries which have relied on the assurance that the U.S. will provide their ultimate safety net in time of need... the military. Along that accord, we already have that insurance.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:27 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times
Quote:
Congress has done nothing about Health Care for 40 years, is that too fast for you?

Old 07-25-2009, 10:29 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,563,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysB View Post
The U.S. has never known it has had to do anything about health care. There is nothing in the constitution that states the country must deal with health care. There are only pushy people, shouters, whiners, etc who claim the U.S. government must provide health care. There is no law as such, only those attempting to create one to satisfy their own beliefs of how the constitution should be applied to a nanny state.

Other countries being smarter, I take it, would include the likes of western european countries. Those same countries which have relied on the assurance that the U.S. will provide their ultimate safety net in time of need... the military. Along that accord, we already have that insurance.
so Europeans got the Marshall Plan and re-built countries with health insurance, meanwhile we spend more on our military than all the other countries in the world combined and we're the world's police so that a handfull of gov't contractors and the Mil. Industrial complex gets richer while millions of Americans have 3rd world health care. Sounds like the Euros got the better deal.

I guess we just gotta pull ourselves up by our bootstraps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies