Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 08:01 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,296,868 times

Advertisements

When Did it Become Okay to Start Hating the Obese?

Prejudice against fat people has existed for awhile, people like Limbaugh just made it easier

Old 07-07-2012, 08:28 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,765,643 times
Story of Obese Coworker: (my ex's co-worker)

Guy was hired weighing 450 lbs and worked his way through the utility company. He eventually was in charge of the lift stations (confined space that pumps the sewage). He managed to stay in the hole, so to speak, and one day he was called to the office and reprimanded for being so close to 500 pounds and for not being able to get down in the hole quick enough. They told him, "Lose the weight or lose your job."

He got an attorney. The attorney told the utility company, "You hired my client at close to 500 pounds and you need to keep him." (not sure of all the legal tech. but the guy ended up staying with the company)....

Old 07-07-2012, 10:01 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,470,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Story of Obese Coworker: (my ex's co-worker)

Guy was hired weighing 450 lbs and worked his way through the utility company. He eventually was in charge of the lift stations (confined space that pumps the sewage). He managed to stay in the hole, so to speak, and one day he was called to the office and reprimanded for being so close to 500 pounds and for not being able to get down in the hole quick enough. They told him, "Lose the weight or lose your job."

He got an attorney. The attorney told the utility company, "You hired my client at close to 500 pounds and you need to keep him." (not sure of all the legal tech. but the guy ended up staying with the company)....
They probably threatened to file a lawsuit or file a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission accusing the company of violating equal opportunity employment laws, with the idea that the obesity was a disability.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:20 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,233,105 times
I just wish the obese took an effort to lose some weight. The obese don't exactly tend to have the best diet, and a poor diet comes with early health problems. An unhealthy nation isn't the best nation.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:10 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,132,790 times
I think a lot of the contempt directed at the obese in the U.S. is part of the broader contempt felt towards those who are in the lower and working classes. You know: the people you see at the social services center (if you are ever there), shopping at Wal-Mart, and outside the check cashing and title loan joints and pawn shops that you don't see much elsewhere. Bigotry was once perpetrated along the lines of race and religion, but now it seems that classism is one of the few acceptable bigotries left in the U.S.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:27 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,271,427 times
I have a co-worker who is obese. He is supposedly on Atkin's. He will order copious amounts of fatty meat, but will not order poatato-so it makes the meal OK or he will order a salad and obliterate it with blue cheese or regular ranch dressing, like a whole cup He complains he can't lose weight and I asked him about walking or working out. "Oh, my knees can't handle the stress-so I can't work out." I'm thinking to myself, really!? You can't go to the pool or adopt a truly beneficial diet or start lifting weights? And he has high blood pressure, bad knees , bad back and suffers from depression. AND his ailments get examined when our company of 30 people shops for group insurance. Do you think I am subsidizing his lifestyle through higher premiums? Do you think losing weight would benefit his health? Do you think it erodes some of my respect for this individual?

This same individual always is amazed and asks, "How can you eat so much?" I respond, "I actually have to work really hard to eat this much and not gain weight." I ride about 120 miles a week at a pretty fast clip. I have not been riding the last 2 weeks due to a sore back and it shows on the scale; 5 pounds heavier. So now I have adjusted to keep the gain from becoming more by reducing portions and paying more attention to what I eat.

On the past comments about Michelle Obama; I think she is a good example about a REALISTIC example of a relatively healthy, middle aged woman. These stick figure super models that too many young girls and women idolize are travesties!

Bottom line; I put the effort into staying in relatively good shape and yes, it does require a conscious effort. If I, and so many others can do it, why can't the excuse laden, denial ready obese individuals do it? Why WON'T they?!

Old 07-10-2012, 09:43 AM

23,566 posts, read 17,245,407 times
NJ Dems have become the nations bully as Chris Christie is constantly demeaned for his weight.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:05 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,057,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
NJ Dems have become the nations bully as Chris Christie is constantly demeaned for his weight.
So?

Obama was demeaned for smoking before he quit.

If Obama was setting a bad example ...... so is Christie.

Once it became PC to vilify smokers.....it is only natural that being vilified for being overweight would be next.

You can thank the anti-smoking crowd for this mindset.....that would be liberals and conservatives.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:20 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,175,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
The same is true for Michelle Obama, except the culprits of that are generally right-wing persons.

Guess it's just another topic that is bipartisan.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:31 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Well we've bled the smokers for all they can give so now we must turn to the next group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies