Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 11:35 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,761,637 times

Advertisements

So what about talking to passengers in the car with you? Is there any end to this nonsense? There are already plenty of laws and if a person is stupid enough to type instead of talk is there any law against stupidity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 11:39 AM

132 posts, read 159,446 times
Constantly checking mirrors for cop cars is known to reduce distraction while drivetexting.

12,373 posts, read 13,199,456 times
If anybody has a problem with a law banning texting while driving I have a problem with them, they shouldn't have a drivers license to begin with.

27,623 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity09 View Post

damn that Gov't from trying to stop people from killing people for no good reason.
Yeah, what nerve! I saw a woman polishing her nails and applying make-up while driving on a TV expose about this stuff. If it means her looking beautiful what is a fatal accident or two? Damn them for taking away our freedoms!

Old 07-29-2009, 11:45 AM

27,623 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
So what about talking to passengers in the car with you? Is there any end to this nonsense? There are already plenty of laws and if a person is stupid enough to type instead of talk is there any law against stupidity?
You really don't see the difference? You can speak with a passenger without looking at them, but while texting, not only are you looking at the phone, you are using your hands. Your eyes are not on the road and your hand are not properly holding the steering wheel. How frightening and sad that you did not see the difference of something so elementary.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:48 AM

769 posts, read 888,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
In more ways than one.

Studies have shown that talking on a hands-free cell phone while driving, is just as dangerous as talking on a handheld cell phone while driving.

It's not what your hands are doing, that's dangerous. It's what your mind is doing.

Or rather, it's what your mind ISN'T doing... such as paying attention, watching where you're going, watching traffic around you, etc. Which is equally impaired whether the phone you're talking into, is on the dashboard or in your hand.

I disagree, while I'm slightly distracted when I drive and talk, the same goes for when people are in the car. What happens when you have children, that's distracting, you can't just outlaw everything. However, when I drive and I'm texting I'm not looking at the road for large periods of time. I agree, texting while driving is very dangerous, but as ViewFromThePeak said, the government doesn't need to make a new law, just enforce ones we have. You see someone swaying, pull them over, if they were texting, ticket.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:51 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,685,041 times
You know I would like to see the actual data on how terrible cell phone and texting is on drivers. Actual accidents from cell phone and texting.
Then look at how many people who are on physc drugs, day dreaming, playing or changing the radio dail, putting on make up, yelling at their kids in the back seat and or just people who are drunk, old and or inexperienced. I see more women applying make up then I do cell phone users sometimes.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:54 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,828,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
You really don't see the difference? You can speak with a passenger without looking at them, but while texting, not only are you looking at the phone, you are using your hands. Your eyes are not on the road and your hand are not properly holding the steering wheel. How frightening and sad that you did not see the difference of something so elementary.
Not only that, but usually the passenger is another set of eyes helping you look at the road, even though you both are chatting.

They say people on average take their eyes off the road for 5 seconds each time they look at their phone while texting.

Usually both hands are required to text for most people.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:56 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
In more ways than one.

Studies have shown that talking on a hands-free cell phone while driving, is just as dangerous as talking on a handheld cell phone while driving.

It's not what your hands are doing, that's dangerous. It's what your mind is doing.

Or rather, it's what your mind ISN'T doing... such as paying attention, watching where you're going, watching traffic around you, etc. Which is equally impaired whether the phone you're talking into, is on the dashboard or in your hand.
You're preaching to the choir. Laws will not make people suddenly change their in car behavior. You can't legislate common sense.

Drive Mindfully

Rebecca was my friend.

"On December 3rd, 2007 Rebecca Borrie chose to walk to the bank for exercise instead of driving. The day was sunny and the road, though narrow, was straight. A woman driving along the same road was multi-tasking as her car drifted out of her lane and collided with an oncoming car, unfortunately right where Rebecca was walking.

Rebecca Borrie became one of the roughly 5000 pedestrians who are killed by motorists in this country each year. The annual number who die in vehicles is close to ten times that figure. The majority of these accidents are entirely preventable by avoiding distracted driving and devoting more attention to the act of driving."

Old 07-29-2009, 11:59 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,828,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
You know I would like to see the actual data on how terrible cell phone and texting is on drivers. Actual accidents from cell phone and texting.
Then look at how many people who are on physc drugs, day dreaming, playing or changing the radio dail, putting on make up, yelling at their kids in the back seat and or just people who are drunk, old and or inexperienced. I see more women applying make up then I do cell phone users sometimes.
It's hard to prove that an accident happened because you were day-dreaming, or some of the other things you mentioned.

When texting, they can just check your phone records.

An 18 year girl who just graduated from HS, ran off the road near my home and was killed. Cause of accident - texting. They found the phone with a partial text on it, she was just getting ready to send it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies