Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 01:34 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
You are not a physician. You are not a physician who treats veterans in the VA. That proves everything
You're funny. I don't believe you're a physician, either. If you were, you wouldn't be committing as many logical fallacies as you have in this thread. My girlfriend says her care is excellent, but since I'm not a doctor, her opinion isn't valid? Please explain.

You go from patient complaints to being a physician. Are only physicians able to hear complaints? Are the complaints I hear any less credible because I'm not a doctor? Too funny.

You still haven't answered why UHC can be provided to a population of 125 million but not to a population of 300 million. Doctor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 01:37 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,829,447 times
Quote:
Those countries also don't have 300 million people. That 47 million uninsured is misleading 12.6 million consist of illegal immigrants. Another 29 million includes people earning 50K or more and choose not to purchase healthcare. Another 8 million are people under the age of 18 meaning if their families can't provide for those minors, there are public insurance options available to them but whose parents have not take the measures to sign them up. That leaves us with 8.4 million people that is uninsured which is less than 3% of the American population.
You're quite the mathematician.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:38 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
The US Mail compared to any package delivery system. There are many more, but you asked for one to prove you wrong. Consider it done.
Great Example!

And what offers better service US Mail or Fed Ex? Why do companies still use UPS and Fed Ex if US Mail is cheaper. The answer is these private companies still offer better service and are more reliable. Furthermore, there is recourse with private companies should their be a failure of service whereas that doesn't occur with US Mail. I've had delayed packages in which I was sending my son a travel voucher. I had to purchase another ticket because US Mail lost track of it. US Mail didn't offer any compensation for me having to buy him an extra ticket because the package had arrived at the post office even though they couldn't find the package when I came to retrieve it. Had this happened with a private company, there would have been some form of recourse. This is why companies will still pay for a private carrier if anything they send is time sensitive because US Mail can't be held accountable and thus isn't reliable.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Great Example!

And what offers better service US Mail or Fed Ex? Why do companies still use UPS and Fed Ex if US Mail is cheaper. The answer is these private companies still offer better service and are more reliable. Furthermore, there is recourse with private companies should their be a failure of service whereas that doesn't occur with US Mail. I've had delayed packages in which I was sending my son a travel voucher. I had to purchase another ticket because US Mail lost track of it. US Mail didn't offer any compensation for me having to buy him an extra ticket. Had this happened with a private company, there would have been some of recourse. This is why companies will still pay for a private carrier if anything they send is time sensitive because US Mail can't be held accountable.
Ever heard of insurance? Next time you send something of value, purchase some. It's cheap. That's your recourse, which is identical to that offered by private shippers.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
You're quite the mathematician.
My apologies I was in a hurry.

47 million uninsured minus 18 million (people earning 50K+ who choose not to get coverage = 29 million people

29 million people minus 12.6 million illegal immigrants = 16.4 million

16.4 million people minus 8 million 17 ys and younger= 8.4 million

Old 07-30-2009, 01:47 PM

769 posts, read 887,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Ever heard of insurance? Next time you send something of value, purchase some. It's cheap. That's your recourse, which is identical to that offered by private shippers.

Why should I have to purchase insurance so I can be reimbursed incase they don't do the job I paid for the first time.

Sound like something I would have to buy from Uncle Vinny.....

Old 07-30-2009, 01:50 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times
Quote:
On CNN today, Dr. Elizabeth Landau condescendingly remarked how most Americans are afraid of the concept of socialized medicine but are unaware that Medicare is a single payer and a form of socialized medicine. Both the anchor and Dr. Landau got a big laugh out of it essentially indicting the American public for being ignorant. President O'bama was mocking the idea that Americans are afraid of socialized medicine but love Medicare therebye implying that our current system with Medicare is identical to that of Socialized medicine that is being practiced in Canada.

As a physician myself, I can assure you that most Americans are not just being paranoid as Dr. Landau and President O'bama imply. Yes, Medicare might be a signle payer system and yes, it very well include components of socialized medicine. However, what Dr. Landau doesn't tell you is that most Americans on Medicare also have some form of secondary insurance. There are limits to Medicare such as the number of days one is allowed to stay in a hospital, postoperative care, and prescription managent among other limitations. This is why most Americans on Medicare elect to pay for secondary insurance. Therefore, our situation with Medicare isn't the same as a true single payer system in which our society depends entirely upon one system.

I also want to clarify another point. President O'bama claims that you will still be abe to have your private insurance should you choose that. The President further explains that he only wants to provide a government sponsored insurance option to provide competition to private insurance companies and to reduce rates. This sounds great doesn't it? Like Dr. Landau, what the President isn't telling you is this A Government sponsored option would not provide true competition. The Governement option would be able to undercut private insurance companies with regards to price because it many more resources at its disposal. What happens when a business is forced to endure most costs, they pass it onto the customer correct? Likewise what happens when a company is forced to lowering their premiums to stay competitive with the government, they will offer less services. This will mean longer waits, denial of procedures which translates to a lower the quality of medical care. In addition, this will also cause many insurance companies to go under because they won't be able to compete with the government's option. This will indirectly cause the membership in the government option to increase and thus provide them with more leverage in managing your care. As you can see, this will ultimately move closer to a socialized single payer system with the governement sponsored insurance plan dictating health care.

I just wanted to clarify some of these issues as it can seem confusing when the President and CNN imply that you will be able to maintain the existing services you already possess.

The American health insurance industry actually loves Medicare because each Mecicare client costs the program $8900 a year, so every client would cost the insurer on average about $150,000 before he dies and every client does die. So selling insurance in which every client is going to cost a small fortune is a lousey business model. It is kinda like selling hurricane insurance in Florida.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:53 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
I don't think you do get it. In UHC countries, their health care isn't free.
Right. It's merely better and cheaper. And by the way, many are in fact places with healthy and vibrant private insurance industries that the UHC system has not cruelly gobbled up, even after many decades.

Quote:
They pay much higher income taxes. Sweden was highlighted in Michael Moore's movie Sicko in which it was depicted as a perfect Utopia.
Those taxes cover a great deal more than just a superior health care system, and such categorical exaggerations are not typically heard out of those at an intellectual level sufficient to understand the intracacies of complex health care systems.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterK View Post
Why should I have to purchase insurance so I can be reimbursed incase they don't do the job I paid for the first time.
Because humans make mistakes. You know, like running red lights, starting fires, losing things like jewelery and mail. C'mon, I know you understand the concept of insurance. UPS charges for insurance as well, though it covers up to $100 for free.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
You're funny. I don't believe you're a physician, either. If you were, you wouldn't be committing as many logical fallacies as you have in this thread. My girlfriend says her care is excellent, but since I'm not a doctor, her opinion isn't valid? Please explain.
And I think you are pseudo intellectual who is trying to sound erudite. Speaking of logic, so I'm less of an authority than your girlfriend becase I see many more veterans than she does in a medical setting not to mention the fact I have to adjust how I manage my VA patients knowing what treatments and tests are available to them. Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Quote:
You go from patient complaints to being a physician. Are only physicians able to hear complaints? Are the complaints I hear any less credible because I'm not a doctor? Too funny.
A person who does this for a living and sees a higher volume of complaints from patients directly would be more credible than a person who isn't in the military and gets his information second hand from his wife.

Quote:
You still haven't answered why UHC can be provided to a population of 125 million but not to a population of 300 million. Doctor?
So 300 million is the same as 125 million? That's more than twice that population. Obviously the larger the population, the more challenging it is going to be to provide universal health care. I never stated that it was impossible but it's one more challenge that our system has to deal with.

You are not really funny but rather annoying like a teenager who is uninformed yet wants to show off. Are you still in college?

Last edited by azriverfan.; 07-30-2009 at 02:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies