Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How dumb do you think Americans really are??
Americans are dumb to believe in Democrats/Liberals. 37 34.26%
Americans are dumb to believe in Republicans. 40 37.04%
Americans are dumb to believe in Corporations. 44 40.74%
Americans are dumb to believe that the government can take care of them. 57 52.78%
Scary = "I am from the government and I am here to help". 19 17.59%
I love the welfare system and I vote liberal because I am lazy. 7 6.48%
Illegal alien amnesty is VERY bad and encourages more illegals. 45 41.67%
Illegal alien amnesties are good and I want open borders. 4 3.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 11:58 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,832,846 times

Advertisements

Republicans won't "save the country" but at least we have conservative Republicans fighting amnesty and open borders. That is helping more with raising US wages than rasing the federal minimu wage a few bucks!

Who voted for the "I love the welfare system"??

Man, I feel bad for you.... begging off the government's table.

Does anyone other than the big businesses and crrocked politicans wnat open borders and illegal alien amnesties?? No votes there yet..... maybe someone from like Masschussetts or San Francisco will vote for it. lol...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 11:59 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
The liberals got put in because a huge chunk of Democrats ARE liberals.

Conservatives only have "streaks" as I call them if they are socially conservative or not. Most Republicans have the same beliefs (lower taxes, less government, etc) except they differ on social issues (amensty for illegals or not, abortion or not, etc).

Hey is anyone happy that Microsoft want UNLIMITED H-1B visas for foreign workers who have a Bachelor's Degree or higher and want these workers to stay forever?? Did anyone see that Lou Dobbs report about how Microsoft is paying these workers at least $16,000 LESS than they would have to pay someone who graduated from ITT Tech or another American school???

Nancy Pelosi seems to be ok with Microsoft's plan. After all, she got a nice $200,000 contribution from them in 2006! Anything think the Microsoft H-1B plan will raise wages for US computer people?

Thanks for posting!

Oh, so this isn't a poll after all--it's a rant! Your extreme sidedness in your introductory post wasn't clear enough for my tree-hugging, tampon recycling head. You know us pot-smoking bleary liberals, we like to give everybody a chance at first. Thanks for the clarification, carry on.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:02 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
I love America every much and I wnat to know what you guys think about what politicians are doing that help/hurt America.
I think politicians are hurting America because they've made politics a bipartisan "us versus them" game with little regard for what would actually benefit the country.

Quote:
Does anyone think major corporations care about the American people?
I think major corporations care about the American people that have $$$$$$ to spend.

Quote:
Is anyone suspicious of the hue surge of Democrat corporate contributions for 2008 cadidates from major corporations and special interests? The Democrats have attacked Reps for years over contributions and now they are taking them left and right??
Sounds like politics as usual to me. The corporations and special interests are betting on the perceived favorites and who has ever seen a politician of either major party turn down $$$$$$$$$$$$$ ?

Quote:
How about the Republican liberal candidates for 2008 trying to decieve the public as "conservatives" (aka. Rudy Giuliani and John McCain)? >_<
They're attempting to sell a product and in pure marketing fashion they're saying what they believe potential buyers want to hear.

Quote:
How do you feel about these stunts pulled by politicians on BOTH sides of the isle?
I take them for what they are...........................STUNTS.

Hopefully some will at least have some entertainment value.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:05 PM

1,247 posts, read 926,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagrl View Post
I don't think that's it, but many more people are darn sure Liberals (mostly Dems) aren't going to save it, either. I wish the Democratic party would go back to what it used to stand for (or at least SAY it stood for)...the working person, family, and morality. Instead, in general, the Dem. party has glommed on to every special interest group and become the party for animal rights, Greenpeace, and gay issues...not what most of us here really feel are the crucial issues dividing and damaging our country and our world.
And I would argue that Republicans are just as guilty. They have become the party of imperialism and big business. Republican politicians don't have a freaking clue what it's like to be you or me. Not a clue. They've sold us out.

Yes, some democrats have some pretty ridiculous ideas, but they're pretty fringe. None of their policies actually stand a chance in hell of being implemented. Whereas, we are slaves to the Republican corporate state. I grew up Republican and I now hate that party with an all consuming passion. I want to see all those traitors dragged into the street and shot. And I mean that quite literally. If that actually happened today, I'd watch it on CNN and applaud.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:20 PM

959 posts, read 2,361,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
And I would argue that Republicans are just as guilty. They have become the party of imperialism and big business. Republican politicians don't have a freaking clue what it's like to be you or me. Not a clue. They've sold us out.

Yes, some democrats have some pretty ridiculous ideas, but they're pretty fringe. None of their policies actually stand a chance in hell of being implemented. Whereas, we are slaves to the Republican corporate state. I grew up Republican and I now hate that party with an all consuming passion. I want to see all those traitors dragged into the street and shot. And I mean that quite literally. If that actually happened today, I'd watch it on CNN and applaud.

Wow, well, I totally disagree with the street shooting part of your post, and we are NOT slaves to anyone! If we are, it's because we've made ourselves that way, not that we've been trapped at large! Why do corporations succeed? Because people BUY THEIR PRODUCT/or service. Also, MOST politicians on BOTH sides have lost (if they ever had) perspective on being an average person....the Dems are equally outer-limits as any Republican on that...but they sure like to pretend they're still for "the little people..." what BS, look at where they live and where their kids go to school. I promise you, it ain't public! Those who think big business is our worst enemy...come on...how many unemployed people would we have if we just did away with all big corporations? How much power would we lose as a country?

Old 04-23-2007, 12:28 PM

Really...you honestly think we are not slaves? As long as you pay your taxes, you are a slave, because this country does not serve you. The government does just enough to keep you pacified, the bare minimum. Meanwhile, that tax money is used to protect the interests of international corporations. I haven't even touched on consumerism, yet. We don't have a choice in the matter. So please, tell me how we're not slaves.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Really...you honestly think we are not slaves? As long as you pay your taxes, you are a slave, because this country does not serve you. The government does just enough to keep you pacified, the bare minimum. Meanwhile, that tax money is used to protect the interests of international corporations. I haven't even touched on consumerism, yet. We don't have a choice in the matter. So please, tell me how we're not slaves.
That's your opinion, which this country says you're entitled to. I believe our govnerment actually goes OVERBOARD on "helping people"...welfare system is a great example. My taxes go to support services like law enforcement, among many other things, so I don't really have problems about paying taxes ...it could be so much worse (Canada). I don't see how my taxes go to support international corporations...actually, most taxes go to local projects, like road building/repair...if the company that repairs my roads is owned by some company in Germany, then I would disagree with that, but I don't see that happening.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:35 PM

982 posts, read 3,307,569 times
Quote:
Hey is anyone happy that Microsoft want UNLIMITED H-1B visas for foreign workers who have a Bachelor's Degree or higher and want these workers to stay forever?? Did anyone see that Lou Dobbs report about how Microsoft is paying these workers at least $16,000 LESS than they would have to pay someone who graduated from ITT Tech or another American school???
Microsoft - aka 'The Velvet Sweatshop' (industry joke) - isn't the easiest place to get work. They offered my husband a contract position for the pay he wanted, INCLUDING relocation. I've never heard of any other company that will pay relocation expenses for a one year contract job (I'm sure there are some, but not many.). He still turned down the position. I guarantee you, if Microsoft is handing out H-1B visas, they aren't giving them to just anybody.

Quote:
Anything think the Microsoft H-1B plan will raise wages for US computer people?
Yes I do. Software will ALWAYS be in demand, and folks that are needed to produce it will always be in demand. People that are highly skilled and proficient will be in highest demand. The higher the demand, the higher the salaries. (Did I use the word 'demand' enough? )
If any company in this industry wants to thrive and set a standard (as Microsoft does), they can't get too cheap with highly skilled labor force. Period.

I'm sure I've oversimplified this, but the bottom line is, it's an extremely competitive field.

On a side note Nirvana Guy, don't bash Microsoft too bad. That's really, really 'left' of you !

Old 04-23-2007, 12:36 PM

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/US...dictators.html

Old 04-23-2007, 12:42 PM

Default Check your source...

Quote:
You count this source as serious info?? Looks to me like a couple in CA have a lot of opinions about all of this, with no hard evidence to back it up...can't say this is very convincing. Got a journal article or researched media article to back up your side? Otherwise....a couple of CA hippies aren't really going to change my mind. No insult intended...I used to be friends with a lot of hippies--before we started talking politics They are passionate (good--we need that), but often uninformed (bad combo).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies