Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 10:34 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,729,164 times

Advertisements

Regardless of how you feel about Micahel Moore and / or where you stand politically, i highly recommend the documentary "Sicko".
And, if after watching this film you don't feel strongly that the U.S. needs universal health care, .... well, i'd be amazed and i'd truly wonder why.
The health care system in this nation is insane and bordering on evil.
The health insurance companies are (evil!).
It's the worst capitalist poison i've ever seen or been aware of.
Outrageous.
I felt sick and sad in my heart while watching this ... sad for the victims of this system and sad for this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 08:14 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,580,472 times
As one that is not that far from retirement, Obamacare scares me to death.

I DO think something needs to be done. There are to many needless tests, drugs and procedures, to many profits are being made and the way everything is set up now, they want to make permanent patients out of us so they can profit. I can tell you how many times I have said to a doctor, "NO! I don't want to try this and try that, lets just find the cause of the problem and FIX THAT!"...

Obabacare is far to vague on it's wording and he isn't doing a good job on explaining what it all means and neither is anyone else. When you read parts of that bill, it can be interpreted to mean many things... it is just to vague. With the people who are reading it and trying to interpret it, their interpretation scares the day lights out of me and even scarier is the fact that nobody rebuffs what they are saying or proving them wrong.

The rumors are that it has been a bill already passed that the new nationalized coverage can NOT go over budget... meaning rationing/denying care when that years money is gone. I don't see much changing for the people who need care under the way it is now and not getting it, to the people needing care under this Obamacare. It looks to me like MORE people will not get care when it is needed.

I have spent a lot of time online trying to find BOTH sides of the story so I can made a informed decision as to rather I am for this nationalized health care or not. There is far more out there against it than there is explaining the benefits of it or rebuffing the ones against it.

What scares me the most is how FAST they are trying to push this through before anyone can read it and ask questions and get explanations over what they read that concerns them. My feeling is, if it is a good plan, it will sell itself and be worded in such a way that it is self explanatory.

Anyone who can point me to someplace that can explain the benefit of having it over the way it is now... PLEASE DO! I want BOTH sides of the story.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:37 AM

481 posts, read 806,846 times
I am sick to death of hearing "Oooooh nooooo, we can't have a single payer health care system. It would drive the poor private health insurance companies out of business!"

Old 08-03-2009, 08:41 AM

What would be wrong with an expanded national health care program similar to Medicare? It has only a 2% overhead.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
As one that is not that far from retirement, Obamacare scares me to death.

I DO think something needs to be done. There are to many needless tests, drugs and procedures, to many profits are being made and the way everything is set up now, they want to make permanent patients out of us so they can profit. I can tell you how many times I have said to a doctor, "NO! I don't want to try this and try that, lets just find the cause of the problem and FIX THAT!"...

Obabacare is far to vague on it's wording and he isn't doing a good job on explaining what it all means and neither is anyone else. When you read parts of that bill, it can be interpreted to mean many things... it is just to vague. With the people who are reading it and trying to interpret it, their interpretation scares the day lights out of me and even scarier is the fact that nobody rebuffs what they are saying or proving them wrong.

The rumors are that it has been a bill already passed that the new nationalized coverage can NOT go over budget... meaning rationing/denying care when that years money is gone. I don't see much changing for the people who need care under the way it is now and not getting it, to the people needing care under this Obamacare. It looks to me like MORE people will not get care when it is needed.

I have spent a lot of time online trying to find BOTH sides of the story so I can made a informed decision as to rather I am for this nationalized health care or not. There is far more out there against it than there is explaining the benefits of it or rebuffing the ones against it.

What scares me the most is how FAST they are trying to push this through before anyone can read it and ask questions and get explanations over what they read that concerns them. My feeling is, if it is a good plan, it will sell itself and be worded in such a way that it is self explanatory.

Anyone who can point me to someplace that can explain the benefit of having it over the way it is now... PLEASE DO! I want BOTH sides of the story.
How FAST they are pushing this? I don't see that. The Clintons tried very hard to start a good health care system, but the Republicans refused to participate and killed it.

When Bush was in office he just ignored the entire problem and allowed another 8 years to go by with zero progress.

Now Obama is trying to give the American citizens what they need so badly. I like his plan and see no problem with a single payer system.

This has been going on for decades. No rush at all. ANYTHING would be better than allowing the private health insurers to continue to be totally in charge of our health care.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:58 AM

7,141 posts, read 12,675,471 times
Yes, I think the single payer system is exactly what we need. Why should we continue to have the worst--and most expensive health care system--in the civilized world?

Single payer Medicare works fine, patients and doctors like it. Single payer works fine in Canada and England. The citizens there are very happy with their health care.

No one in the U.S. likes the current system except the insurance companies who are defending it, along with the Repubs. Why? Billions of record profits for the insurance companies. No wonder they want to keep the status quo. It sure doesn't work for people, but works great for their bottom lines.

I'm sick of it (no pun intended).

Old 08-03-2009, 09:02 AM

The private health insurance companies are so FILTHY RICH that they will do anything to avoid losing their gravy train, including lying to us. THEY are the ones who are using words like "socialized medicine" as if that is a bad thing.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:23 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,554,896 times
It would be a public option...to offer competition to insurance companies,,,that is the only way to drive down their prices. You should consider it insurance reform moreso then health care reform.
Pt. care will actually be in the hands of the doctors again. They will not work on an insurance reimbursment fees. They will make the same monies if they run 10 tests or 1.
I don't understand how expanding health benifits to those in need could be a bad thing...

Old 08-03-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
It would be a public option...to offer competition to insurance companies,,,that is the only way to drive down their prices. You should consider it insurance reform moreso then health care reform.
Pt. care will actually be in the hands of the doctors again. They will not work on an insurance reimbursment fees. They will make the same monies if they run 10 tests or 1.
I don't understand how expanding health benifits to those in need could be a bad thing...
You are absolutely right. It would drive down private insurance prices. They have become a monopoly and didn't I recently hear that they are being sued for price fixing among themselves?

Old 08-03-2009, 09:30 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,904,050 times
Sicko is a good film. Back in 1971, I went to a doctor in Morristown, NJ. (Dr. B) His office visit was 7 dollars. He did a lot of tests himself, and wrote prescriptions. I cleared up a urinary infection, including medicine, and office visit for $12.00. That's what I call health care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies