Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 06:10 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times

Advertisements

Any kind of adverts. My life would all of a sudden feel sunnier.

Bad manners, rudeness, the use mobile phones in public spaces , smoking in public spaces, animal testing on cosmetics, child labour and labour exploitation, elevator music, so many things our world could benefit from having disappear overnight...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 07:20 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,385,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttz View Post
1. Tobacco products. They are addictive and they kill.
2. Texting, putting on makeup, eating and smoking a cigarette while driving

I do not feel that alcohol or caffeine should be illegal as they are not as addictive as nicotine and, if done in moderation, are not that addictive/bad for you. ie a drinking wine or a beer or coffee a day is not going to kill you. Having a few cigarettes each day will!
Weak rationalizations should be banned.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:14 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
Weak rationalizations should be banned.

So should responses to prior posts which do not make any point that a reasonable reader can associate with that prior post.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:52 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
Here's the one thing. What else should be banned while driving? Maybe we should have a law making it illegal to drive blind folded. That's got to be worse than texting. Sound ridiculous? Yup.

The one thing is . . . it's already illegal to drive while not paying attention to your driving. Do we really have to spell out all the ways of not paying attention? How about playing with a game boy?

If you are not paying attention while driving you can be ticketed! It's illegal! I don't care what you are doing. Having a list of things that you cannot do while driving because they are distracting implies that it's ok to be distracted as long as you are not doing anything that appears on the list.

- Reel
reel you say!!! some things are worse than others!!! if you were playing russian roulett would you rather one bullet in a 6 chamber gun or 5 bullets thats the way it is with multi tasking!!!>>> and can be proven by doing simple studies. certain things are way more distracting than others!!! and i already gave reasons why texting while driving should be banned. use a hands free cell phone insted, dosen't take a brain scientist to figure that one out gosh!!

but i forgot they have test for IQ>>>> but don't have one for common sence.

i went out with a girl that worked in a law office and ya she was pretty smart.. but when it came to common sense she was seriously lacking in that department

Old 08-04-2009, 11:04 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Ban and abolish the 2 party system.
Ban and abolish Lobbiests.
Ban the Dictator Bush (and his crime family) from ever being free again.
Ban pigs from doing radar.
Ban pigs from patroning Dunkin Donuts.
Ban smoking from our society for good.
Ban and abolish the IRS
Ban this political correctness crap.
Ban and execute pigs and politicians who violate our constitutional rights.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:15 AM

380 posts, read 709,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Nothing

I am not a big fan of social engineering -
I concur. Any food or drug should have all the ingredients listed and let the individual make their own informed decision. Personal liberty is sacred to me and I think I should legally be able to ingest anything I want to. Your social engineering comment is right on time. Why are some extremely dangerous substances legal (tobacco, benzodiazepines, alcohol, food preservatives etc.) but innocuous ones like cannibas prohibited? The government should let a person make their own choices concerning what they ingest.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:17 AM

380 posts, read 709,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
reel you say!!! some things are worse than others!!! if you were playing russian roulett would you rather one bullet in a 6 chamber gun or 5 bullets thats the way it is with multi tasking!!!>>> and can be proven by doing simple studies. certain things are way more distracting than others!!! and i already gave reasons why texting while driving should be banned. use a hands free cell phone insted, dosen't take a brain scientist to figure that one out gosh!!

but i forgot they have test for IQ>>>> but don't have one for common sence.

i went out with a girl that worked in a law office and ya she was pretty smart.. but when it came to common sense she was seriously lacking in that department
Ban people from posting who don't use SPELLCHECK.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Ban and abolish the 2 party system.
Ban and abolish Lobbiests.
Ban the Dictator Bush (and his crime family) from ever being free again.
Ban pigs from doing radar.
Ban pigs from patroning Dunkin Donuts.
Ban smoking from our society for good.
Ban and abolish the IRS
Ban this political correctness crap.
Ban and execute pigs and politicians who violate our constitutional rights.
you left out drinking alcohol and drugs, don't just pick on cigaretts i smoke but rarely drink alcohol and if i had a choice i would rather alcohol be banned than cigarettes. my opinion of course

Old 08-04-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contachster View Post
Ban people from posting who don't use SPELLCHECK.
spell check is a cop out!! look up the words if you don't know how to spell them. it's a forum not a front page newspaper artical

Old 08-04-2009, 11:40 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times
I believe things that can be banned are those that are a threat to others. Granted there is a very gray area there and it is open for so much debate.

Alcohol? No, even though I do not drink, it is something that will be futile to ban, prohibition showed that and is an example of trying to moderate behavior. It would be a waste of money and resource to enforce.

Texting while driving? I am for that. I understand that texting studies do show the same results of a drunk person on the wheel with the same consequences. That is a safety issue. You can drink responsibly and so with texting. Both can be very damaging while driving.

I still need to see more on talking on the phone while driving with the phone being held by the hand.

You have a great day.
El Amigo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies