Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 07:12 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,370,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I saw the husband on TV say, "She wasn't an alcoholic."
That's really not the issue, is it? If she was drunk when eight people were killed, that counts.
Yeah I'm not understanding that argument either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 09:47 AM

312 posts, read 725,758 times
It sure doesn't make sense, tho, that if someone was having trouble seeing, like supposedly she was, why was she driving so aggressively?

I know if *I* was having trouble seeing, first of all, I'd get off the road and have my husband pick me up -- *especially* with small kids in the car! However, if, for some reason, I *had* to drive, I certainly would be driving as slowly and carefully as possible which, according to witnesses, she wasn't.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapestry View Post
It sure doesn't make sense, tho, that if someone was having trouble seeing, like supposedly she was, why was she driving so aggressively?

I know if *I* was having trouble seeing, first of all, I'd get off the road and have my husband pick me up -- *especially* with small kids in the car! However, if, for some reason, I *had* to drive, I certainly would be driving as slowly and carefully as possible which, according to witnesses, she wasn't.
I was thinking that too. I remember when I was pregnant it took me 5 hours to get every where because I pulled over so often and according to the article she called her brother and told him she didn't feel well. She should have pulled over then - I'm wondering if she had some mental problem because the story doesn't add up to just drinking and driving.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I was thinking that too. I remember when I was pregnant it took me 5 hours to get every where because I pulled over so often and according to the article she called her brother and told him she didn't feel well. She should have pulled over then - I'm wondering if she had some mental problem because the story doesn't add up to just drinking and driving.

yeah, I know whatcha mean....I don't think it adds up to just drinking and driving, either, *unless* she indeed *was* commiting suicide, although that seems like a pretty bizarre way to do it and, if so, why would she wanna kill the kids as well?

It's a very strange and sad story and one we'll probably *never* know all the details of.....

Old 08-07-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
yeah, I know whatcha mean....I don't think it adds up to just drinking and driving, either, *unless* she indeed *was* commiting suicide, although that seems like a pretty bizarre way to do it and, if so, why would she wanna kill the kids as well?

It's a very strange and sad story and one we'll probably *never* know all the details of.....
People are killing their kids for all sorts of crazy reasons these days...money problems...marital problems...to protect their souls from going to hell. I don't know but something about this story makes me think that this wasn't accidental ,especially if she got drunk and high after she picked the kids up.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
People are killing their kids for all sorts of crazy reasons these days...money problems...marital problems...to protect their souls from going to hell. I don't know but something about this story makes me think that this wasn't accidental ,especially if she got drunk and high after she picked the kids up.
yes, I agree 100%! I don't know why, either, but it sure sounds like it was done on purpose....kinda reminds me a bit of the Susan Smith story about 15 years ago...

Old 08-07-2009, 11:48 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,807,609 times
I know this is stretching it a bit, but didn't her 5 year old survive?

If she was drinking and or smoking in the car, it is possible the child could shed some light on this.

Although with all the childs physical and mental trauma, it could be tough.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
yes, I agree 100%! I don't know why, either, but it sure sounds like it was done on purpose....kinda reminds me a bit of the Susan Smith story about 15 years ago...
Yeah, I thought the same thing. It sounds like she picked them up and then got wasted. I'm wondering how she sounded when she called her brother.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:27 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,947,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Usually you can pick out the pot-smoking drivers on the highway--they are over in the right lane, doing 40. And they won't be on the road too long because they will get some sort of snack into their head that they just HAVE to have. They shouldn't be driving, of course, but they are far less dangerous than the drunks, who should be shot on sight.

The difference is that people who drink like that simply do not have the capacity to care about anyone else--NO ONE ELSE--not their children, not their parents, not their spouse--and certainly not you, a stranger driving on the same street. It's an immature refusal to grow up and face your problems like everyone else. At least this Shuler woman had the decency to kill herself. Most of the time they kill others and walk away with a scratch and then try to play the sympathy card that they have a "disease" and complain that others are judging them.
It has been a while since I studied the statistics, but when I was in the police academy, slow drivers were the cause of more accidents than that of people speeding. At the time this was a fact, I doubt it has changed, but if you like, you can provide the statistics if you choose.

Do no preach to me about drunk drivers. My brother was killed by one. Your willingness to defend pot heads shows extreme bias. All drugs diminish peoples ability to drive. The testing done versus marijuana drivers and alcohol are different in their reaction, but neither is capable of the level achieved by that of a sober driver. This is proven by that of tests. If you like, I can provide you the research.

You can hate as much as you like specifically, but you would be an idiot who is misinformed to think that those who drive while under the influence of cannabis are "safer". Its a stupid argument and one often supported by pot heads and the ignorant.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:28 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,947,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Think about it, many states have medical marijuana and you don't hear about deadly crashes happening there because someone was high.
I am thinking, and the thought that comes to mind is generalizations and common sense fallacies. Provide "actual" evidence or run off and smoke another one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies