Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2009, 11:51 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,426,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Sounds good, until you realize that you are paying for "yours" and "theirs" all at the same time ..

Nice try ... go read the proposed bill(s) why-doncha ...
We're all already paying for each other. Those without insurance pay more than those with insurance. Those who don't use their insurance are paying for those who use more than they paid (no different, btw, that what would happen with a tax supported one-payer system). Everyone who pays taxes is paying for those on Medicaid or VA or other social programs. Everyone who pays to go to the hospital pays increased hospital bills to cover the costs of those who don't pay. And with our insurance-run system, your insurance dollars are paying for high profits, multimillionaire CEO whose pay is tied to those profits, high costs for marketing those insurance pacakages and people whose job it is to deny coverage to the policy holders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Asked and answer. See what I get for trying to treat some folks like adults? I've learned my lesson.
If you say it often enough, someone might believe you. It doesn't change the fact that you did not give a direct answer to direct question. Try to cover it up by insulting me but that doesn't change the fact.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:02 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,515,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsicmovies View Post
Manufactured? Not real citizens with very serious concerns finding a town hall meeting to protest and ask questions? The words... manufactured, fake, actors, is what only the Media stated, does any thinking person actually believe the media did not lie in this case?

Just like the PBS commentator the other night saying that the townhall or tea party protestors need their "Republical leaders" to step up and lead them or keep them in line.
Why do they think anyone who protests is a Republican? Frankly, I don't think most care anymore about parties--they know both parties will cheat, lie, and do them in.
Don't they think people can think for themselves?
Do these bobbleheads on the news think they are smarter about life than we are?
One said the protestors were getting too angry.

WE SHOULD BE ANGRY.

This is exactly what is wrong right now. Not enough people are angry about the real issues.

It is our Constitutional right to protest, and we, the people are sovereign, not the government.

The government is treating us like subjects, not citizens, and this goes back with both parties. Both parties. They simply play musical chairs. "You're turn!"

Protest away. Or someday, you won't have that right anymore.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:44 PM

1,133 posts, read 712,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
I am 5 hours away from the nearest VA, and I once again, I don't qualify from free treatment as I make too much, so Im dependent on the health care I have local. Guess you don't know everything, like you claim.
I don't know everything but I know basic things pretty well. No one makes too much for VA care. If you make that much you can pony up the same as me and pay for insurance your entire life as I have. I figure 40+ years at avg of $400 month that is $192,000 I have paid in or my employer has paid as part of my benefits. That will pay for a lot of health care. I never used a dime of it until I recently had open heart surgery. Tha t cost about $80,000 plus my deductables, maybe $10,000. So I have already contributed to a lot of other peoples health care and or the profitability of the insurance companies. At least under this system I could get open heart surgery. Under the proposed system I would have some liberal toads decide for me.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:46 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
What I've been saying, too. These morons don't know or care what they're protesting, they just want to be a part of the GOP hate machine. Pathetic way to get your rocks off. They are a disgrace to this nation and to democracy. As is the GOP.

Shannyn Moore: Manufactured Protestors Are Killing Democracy
Where were you during the Bush years, when the anti-war demonstrators, ACORN and the SEIU were exercising their right to free speech?

Old 08-09-2009, 12:47 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
What I've been saying, too. These morons don't know or care what they're protesting, they just want to be a part of the GOP hate machine. Pathetic way to get your rocks off. They are a disgrace to this nation and to democracy. As is the GOP.

Shannyn Moore: Manufactured Protestors Are Killing Democracy

50% Oppose the current health care plan with 30% approving it... you go to town halls and meet mostly people who disapprove of it and then call it "manufactured"? Liberals... they seem to be adverse to the truth... go ahead, stay in the state of denial..

Old 08-09-2009, 12:56 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Again, people who scream in a town hall meeting, never allowing anyone to answer nor allowing anyone else to speak are killing democracy by trying to kill free speech.

They COULD go and ask questions and take their turn at the mic but they chose to scream hysterically(doesn't THAT make for open dialog) and NOT LET OTHERS SPEAK!

They are NOT interested in the future of health care or they would discuss it rationally .

They are NOT interested in anyone's Free Speech but THEIR OWN!

They could just hold their own rallies and stand there screaming but they choose to disrupt others who want to discuss it like intelligent adults.
They are trying to ask questions, but the answers are nothing but talking point propaganda. They are shouting because their elected representative is ignoring their input, and refusing to answer the question. They've tried to discuss it rationally, but have been shut out of the process because their representative won't take their call, and is siding with their party instead of the citizens that elected them. The only Free Speech we have IS our own - and we're exercising the right to use it.

Politicians have no desire to discuss the issue intelligently. They only want to cram the plan down our throats. Problem is, they never left their ivory towers long enough to see that the citizens of the United States have FINALLY woken up, and are demanding a voice. Now they're panicked. See ya in 2010.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:57 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I am not worried about democracy. Protest have been part of teh safegaurds for democray for generatio form the original; tea partry ;to WWI vterans protest ;to vietnam to teh present. If the country can get thru the often violent protest in the 60's this is nothing at all. I thnik the people who are scared are the liberals who are not use to being protested against really.What endangers democracy is moving to quiten the protesters voice by public thugs sqauds. If they need to be arrested then its law enforcement job; not some private groups acting as a goon squad. I welcome all liberal and conservative protest as long as they don't break the law. I say if they do the police should act to enforce the law. aw enforcement is well able to do this since they have so much experience from the 60's.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:05 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,861,916 times
Default Pelosi protestors from the DNC

Nancy and the Astroturfers • Looking at the Left

Old 08-09-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
I don't know everything but I know basic things pretty well. No one makes too much for VA care. If you make that much you can pony up the same as me and pay for insurance your entire life as I have. I figure 40+ years at avg of $400 month that is $192,000 I have paid in or my employer has paid as part of my benefits. That will pay for a lot of health care. I never used a dime of it until I recently had open heart surgery. Tha t cost about $80,000 plus my deductables, maybe $10,000. So I have already contributed to a lot of other peoples health care and or the profitability of the insurance companies. At least under this system I could get open heart surgery. Under the proposed system I would have some liberal toads decide for me.
Besides the fact that under the insurance-run system, your coverage is determined by your boss the insurance company he chose, there are some issues with what you said.

According to you, you've paid approximately $100,000 above the coverage you recieved. (I'm adding in routine medical care that your insurance company sure paid for you over the decades.) Even so, you still had reach in your pocket and pony up $10,000 for your surgery.

What do you think happened to that other $100,000? It paid for the medical bill of others who held policies with that insurance company.....and the company's profit and sales organization and CEO's outlandish salary.

Who else contributed to your medical insurance besides you and your boss? Everyone who pays taxes and doesn't have insurance because both you and your boss got tax right-offs for those insurance payments. Likely both of you took them right off your gross income, lower your taxable income. So did the people without insurance who pay out of pocket at a higher price because your insurance company negotiated lower payments to your doctors. And so did the people who bought the products/services your employer makes his money selling because he had to increase his prices to buy your your health insurance.

You know, I bet those people who pay taxes and for their medical care themselves are sick of carrying you, your boss and the insurance companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies