Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 12:01 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times

Advertisements

Any article I post here generally was from an email source. I read as many articles as I can, and some seem worth sharing for discussion. This one seemed like a good talking point.

It's my general observation that many on the board would rather talk about celebrities' improprieties. -- than have a discussion that requires a little reading.

This thread got very little traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 12:50 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,907 times
ontheroad, thats why i started my question with a WHY? that is a question statement.

that correlation was funny to me too, since all the conservatives i know have no fear of going to serve in a war, no fear of going to do mission work in war torn countries or impoverished areas, no fear of dying--due to a strong belief in God, but that might be social conservatives and economic conservatives may very well fear death.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:53 PM

I did answer carolinajack and later alpha.

I hope they were understandable and understood as opinion. I have no facts about fear--except for my own--and I shared much of that here regarding 9-11 and post 9-11.

Just for the record, I am a very private person. I went out on a limb to share my personal 9-11 experiences and was very disappointed that after asking a question that I answered and thought out carefully, I received no response.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:06 PM

sorry to hear that ontheroad, i dont think i saw that but I hope that you were ok after 9-11. I guess being raised by a military father who became a missionary and took us to a war torn country to live, I and fellow social conservatives were/are not afraid of stuff like 9-11, on the contrary angry would be the better word.

all of them are opinions hun, dont sweat it, i try and explain to everyone not to fight here since we all have a right to opinions and they are not debatable for many, at least not for me.

keep your head up

Old 04-27-2007, 01:08 PM

982 posts, read 3,307,569 times
Quote:
I went out on a limb to share my personal 9-11 experiences and was very disappointed that after asking a question that I answered and thought out carefully, I received no response.
Ontheroad - sorry if I missed this, but I'm looking for your 9/11 story - I'd like to read it.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:11 PM

What I said about fear, and 9-11 is on page 2, dated 4/25 -- for all to read.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:23 PM

982 posts, read 3,307,569 times
Quote:
What I said about fear, and 9-11 is on page 2, dated 4/25 -- for all to read.
DUH...I read it yesterday..I skimmed through today and missed it - sorry.

On another note, it might be a good idea to start another thread where others can share their experiences of 9/11 - where they were, how they felt, etc.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:34 PM

I don't believe my testimonial implies fear, but explains how fear permeated the City of New York on the day of 9-11 and thereafter. I responded this personally for your benefit, carolina jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Here's another quote from the article:
"...For liberals, conservatives, and independents alike, thinking about death actually makes people more conservative—at least temporarily....".
If I look at this article solely on the basis of 9/11, I agree that a more conservative perspective was ignited by fear of death. After all, with the WTC attack, all of us in the US felt fear, and one of those fears was death, and imminent death. I remember clearly how I felt, first as I heard the news; as the news unfolded and we learned it wasn't an accident; what I would do next: look for my family and friends to assure myself they were safe; send my staff home in Albany; try to find a solution for the staff in NYC; and then decide what course of action was best for me. I decided to leave my office building and walk the 3-5 miles to the closest person in NYC in my life: my god-daughter (who had just seen all the people jumping from the Towers whilst walking her dog).

I would have left the building sooner, but my closest colleague was enroute from Albany to NYC on Amtrak, and I had to re-assure myself he was safe.

I was only ONE of two people in my office that left the building before Noon. Most of the staff (and we are talking professional people, and non-professional alike) were too afraid to move--anywhere.

What I felt was if we were going to be attacked again (assuming that day), I wanted to be with someone I loved and who loved me. I don't know how others felt, but that was an imperative!

Later, as the facts and the event took different directions, my fears were reduced and my fear of death diminished. However, many around me found their fears heightened and looked for an immediate solution to erase their fear. A counter-attack on the Taliban was a sure-fire solution to those that wanted "an immediate remedy" to their fear and their anger.

However, and this is important, immediate thoughts and long-term thinking are vastly different.

Also I want to underscore this is just an article about several studies. It is not the studies themselves. Therefore, we are seeing two layers of a series of interpretations not a single unified concept.

It is clear that many biases exist in all of the individual studies, but nonetheless based on my limited knowledge and short-term experience here on this board, I would surmise that some, not all, of the notions (and notions are not fact) have a basis in reality.

Also, as LeavingFlorida05 and I have discussed on another thread, much of what we take in is "advertising blitz" and propaganda. Propaganda can be lethal from the right or the left.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:47 PM

thanks on the road, i wasnt arguing with you hun, i was just asking and i appreciate it

Old 04-27-2007, 01:49 PM

thank you, carolinajack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
thanks on the road, i wasnt arguing with you hun, i was just asking and i appreciate it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies