Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 09:46 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,121,570 times

Advertisements

I guess it's less porky when it comes to your state.

SPIN METER: Congress' pork: advocacy or hypocrisy? | Political Headlines | Comcast.net (http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-politics/20100413/US.Congress.Pork/ - broken link)

SPIN METER: Congress' pork: advocacy or hypocrisy?

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. — It's early on a Monday in north Alabama's "space city," and Sen. Richard Shelby is bashing Washington at a packed town hall meeting in the cavernous U.S. Space and Rocket Center.

"We're spending a lot of money that we don't have," the veteran Republican tells hundreds of business leaders, many nodding in agreement over bacon and eggs.

Lost in the moment is this irony: Shelby's anti-spending message is being delivered in a government-built museum to which he frequently steers public money. The admiring crowd is made up of people whose livelihood depends on federal aerospace programs that drive the local economy. And the main point of Shelby's speech is to assure them he's fighting to stop NASA budget cuts and keep the spigot in Washington flowing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 09:49 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,595,845 times
The Federal Government is just one big hub distribution center redistributing wealth from one state to another. I say..shrink the Feds..give more taxes to the States..and if you want a road...let the citizens of that state pay for it...

Old 04-13-2010, 09:50 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,229,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I guess it's less porky when it comes to your state.

SPIN METER: Congress' pork: advocacy or hypocrisy? | Political Headlines | Comcast.net (http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-politics/20100413/US.Congress.Pork/ - broken link)

SPIN METER: Congress' pork: advocacy or hypocrisy?

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. — It's early on a Monday in north Alabama's "space city," and Sen. Richard Shelby is bashing Washington at a packed town hall meeting in the cavernous U.S. Space and Rocket Center.

"We're spending a lot of money that we don't have," the veteran Republican tells hundreds of business leaders, many nodding in agreement over bacon and eggs.

Lost in the moment is this irony: Shelby's anti-spending message is being delivered in a government-built museum to which he frequently steers public money. The admiring crowd is made up of people whose livelihood depends on federal aerospace programs that drive the local economy. And the main point of Shelby's speech is to assure them he's fighting to stop NASA budget cuts and keep the spigot in Washington flowing.
I guess it would depend if you believe further space exploration is pork or scientific endeavor. If you believe that scientific exploration is pork then i guess you would cry hypocrisy

Old 04-13-2010, 09:53 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,744,686 times
I think kelptocracy would fit better.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:56 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
You need to eliminate it, period. You can't fault fault politicians who advocate against pork for taking pork also known as their constituents tax dollars.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:58 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,028,427 times
Personally, I don't understand why there is such opposition to earmarks. An earmark means that funds are legally appropriated for a specific project or purpose. I would much rather see that, than simply handing the money over and trusting the word of some politician that they will actually spend it for what they promised.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
The Federal Government is just one big hub distribution center redistributing wealth from one state to another. I say..shrink the Feds..give more taxes to the States..and if you want a road...let the citizens of that state pay for it...

They do, in part, with federal subsidies. We're not talking roads here, and road improvement is hardly pork, unless it's an eight lane to nowhere.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:02 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,716,244 times
Sen. Shelby will never see the irony, particularly given the fact that NASA's budget was increased by Pres. Obama, not decreased. Of course, the good Senator will never recognize that fact since his pet (unfunded) project ended up on the cutting room floor. And, good riddance.

But of course, budget cuts are only for 'other people.'

Shelby: Government spending 'out of control' - Birmingham Business Journal:

A little detail not mentioned by the senator:

"Obama's proposed 2011 budget actually increases NASA's budget by $6 billion.
As SpaceX CEO Elon Musk said today during a commercial space telecon organized in response to the budget request, "There are certain members of congress who cannot be swayed by any rational argument. They simply want the answer to be that funding continues in their district independent of any sound basis for it.""

Obama's NASA Budget and Death Constellation - Manned Space Flight, NASA and Obama Budget - Popularmechanics.com

Old 04-13-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
I guess it would depend if you believe further space exploration is pork or scientific endeavor. If you believe that scientific exploration is pork then i guess you would cry hypocrisy

read the entire op ed. It's not just NASA, and Obama has proposed to privatize it.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:45 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,060,763 times
It's standard operating procedure. People decry openly against government spending, then not only do nothing to halt it...but rabble for as much as they can for their projects and home state. Even better is when you see politicians crying sour about another politician trying to tack on pork, right after doing it themselves. The sad part is how many partisan nutjobs fall for it hook, line, sinker, and rod.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies