Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 06:00 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

All of the House Republicans have sworn off the pork.

"House Republicans have a chance to show they’re listening to the American people. The House Republican Conference recently announced they would not request earmarks in the looming feeding frenzy that is appropriations’ season. "

Earmarked for success | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 06:17 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,945,174 times
My personal belief:
If a project can survive the light of day, propose a separate bill - stop hiding questionable spending in vital bills.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:31 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Personally, I don't understand why there is such opposition to earmarks. An earmark means that funds are legally appropriated for a specific project or purpose. I would much rather see that, than simply handing the money over and trusting the word of some politician that they will actually spend it for what they promised.
You would have a valid point if:
1. The money was requested in the open and as a part of a bill that actually had something to do with what the money was to be used for.
Too often pork is attached to bills like the defence budget to guarantee that it can't be denied.
2. The money being requested was for something the Nation needs or is good for the nation as a whole. A $400,000 walking park in a town of 1500? Some might ask a few relevent questions.
a. How damn dig is this park?
b. How much would this town spend if they needed to raise the money on their own?
c. If they really wanted the park why not use volunteer labor?
In a town not far from where I live they wanted a new fire truck. What was wrong with the old one? It was about 20 years old and had about 60,000 miles on it mostly from doing parades. Now how much did they spend on a new truck? Well they were going to buy one that cost around 250G but then they found out they could get the fed to match what they spend. Well they bought a big 500G truck instead. For a town of about 3000 people.... This is pork at its best..

Old 04-15-2010, 07:47 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
"Too often pork is attached to bills like the defence budget to guarantee that it can't be denied".

Exactly. That is the definition of pork.

It should be eliminated entirely.

Congressional leaders use it to "buy" votes form congressman and senators. 'If you vote for my bill, I will give you xdollars and you can build a park, etc".

It is not a partisan issue. Both sides do it. Look at all the pork in the so called "Stimulus" bill,

Sen Stevens (R), brags about how much money he "brings home".

They think it is their duty to get taxpayer dollars back to their state.

If they didn't take so much from us, they wouldn't have these "extra'"dollars to play with.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:23 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Sen Stevens (R), brags about how much money he "brings home".
My Democrat Congressman is using this for one his reelection platforms. He's has the most Seniority of anyone in this state other than maybe Specter in the Senate. They are pretty close.

Quote:
Seniority at issue in 11th - News - Citizens Voice

U.S. Rep. Paul E. Kanjorski measures his power in names and numbers - in the "important people" he knows around Washington on a first-name basis and in the millions of dollars in federal funds he has secured for projects throughout Northeastern Pennsylvania during his quarter-century in Congress.
While some of these projects have been worth the money such as the recent levy raising project and the purchase of mine scarred land mentioned in that article he's also funneled millions to a now defunct company that was owned by relatives and other pet pork projects.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:50 PM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
My Democrat Congressman is using this for one his reelection platforms. He's has the most Seniority of anyone in this state other than maybe Specter in the Senate. They are pretty close.

While some of these projects have been worth the money such as the recent levy raising project and the purchase of mine scarred land mentioned in that article he's also funneled millions to a now defunct company that was owned by relatives and other pet pork projects.
ALL spending actions should be brought up and debated on their own merit. They should not be attached to other legislation.

If they are deemed worthwhile, they will be approaved. If not, turned down.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:54 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,626,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
All of the House Republicans have sworn off the pork.

"House Republicans have a chance to show they’re listening to the American people. The House Republican Conference recently announced they would not request earmarks in the looming feeding frenzy that is appropriations’ season. "

Earmarked for success | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment
That's funny given that reports just came out finding that Republicans are currently responsible for a bigger percentage of pork than Democrats are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies