Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 02:28 PM

4,685 posts, read 8,475,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
You are right.

The real savings will come with less diagnostic tests and procedures doctors use to cover their butts.

Wow, you would think that by now the medical professional boards would tell doctors to conduct business according to some STANDARD OF CARE (look it up). You conform to the standard of care, you don't get sued. Where does the QA happen in the medical profession?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 02:28 PM

7,789 posts, read 8,055,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Status Quo: What Do Sick People Do Who Have No Health Insurance?
Any stories about the current situation of healthcare in America?
i pay cash.i put what it would cost for health ins in the bank every month and have been in the black for 20 years even after cancer and major dental . i pay for me and dont want to pay for anyone else.i am free and a burdun to no one

Old 08-12-2009, 02:29 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,364,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Status Quo: What Do Sick People Do Who Have No Health Insurance?
Have a benefit in the church basement and then file bankruptcy.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:30 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,251,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
A lot of my friends and I fell in this category toward the end of college or around graduation when our parents couldn't cover us anymore and it wasn't because we thought we were young and invincible (as so many people like to put it) we just couldn't afford the coverage. I was making $10 hourly, my rent was $500 a month, I had a light bill, cable/phone/internet bill, water bill, car insurance (my car was paid for) and I still had to eat.

Basic medical at my job then was like $80 a month, dental and vision were extra. It was only like $112 a month all together but at the time I just didn't have an extra $112 to give and I made too much money to qualify for Medicaid. I spent a couple of years in that too much for assistance but not enough to afford it grey area. So not ALL young people forgo insurance just so they can drive something shiny.
Nonsense, get rid of cable (50 - 80/month) and internet (10-30/month) and you could have afforded it. It's a matter of priorities and budgeting.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:31 PM

30,914 posts, read 37,100,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
The current system is absolutely moronic. And yet there are plenty of morons defending it and lying about health insurance reform. That's what's truly scary.
I agree the current system is moronic. I think most people do at this point. However, there is widespread disagreement on how to fix it.

People like me think government intervention in the system has actually made it anti-competitive. So, sure we have private companies making a lot of money....but that's because there are lots of invisible rules and regulations in place to make the system quasi-monopolistic.

Other people think that if we just get the government to run the whole thing and provide universal coverage for all, the cost problem will be solved. I think that's naive to say the least.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:34 PM

7,789 posts, read 8,055,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Have a benefit in the church basement and then file bankruptcy.
no thanks i would rather pay a doctor than a lawyer

Old 08-12-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Everyone needs to pay or we'll break the medical system that isn't broken right now. Our medical system is fine, it is the insurance that is broken.
I agree with your post except for this pont. There is A LOT more to it than just insurance. We pay more in America for health care than any other country, but we do NOT have the healthiest people....not even close.

I am not advocating for govenment sponsored health care. But seriously, you can't boil it all down to just one issue. It's A LOT of issues, not just one.

Read

Old 08-12-2009, 02:37 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,416,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
OK, you weren't driving something shiny, but was it really necessary to pay $500 a month in rent on $10 an hour? Now, if you were renting a room (they go for that much in my area) or sharing a 2BR apartment, I'll say ok. But if you were renting your own apartment and paying that much in rent, well....that was a bad decision, especially since you didn't have health ins.
And the stupid comments continue - why do people always feel like they can come up and offer second hand advice on a situation they aren't in? I should have joined this forum back then so I could have benefited from all the advice you people offer, although the only thing it probably would have given me was a few laughs.

No I guess looking back it wasn't necessary to rent an apartment. I could have slept in my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Nonsense, get rid of cable (50 - 80/month) and internet (10-30/month) and you could have afforded it. It's a matter of priorities and budgeting.
It's pretty hard to take online courses when you don't have the internet. The whole bundle was only $70 at the time. If I had ditched it I would have ended up driving on campus every day, which was about 20-30 minutes away from my house and paying to print (when I already had a printer and computer at home) Guess I could have saved things to my flash drive, driven home to print them out and then gone back to school to do my school work. Your logic sounds good in theory; sadly it doesn't work well in reality.

Anyway, all of this is off-subject. My orginal post was to the poster who said young adults decline insurance so they can have cars. I just didn't have enough money to spend another $100 on coverage - saving $50 on cable or renting a room (although what type of room would I be able to live in for less than $125 a week) probbaly wouldn't have given me an extra $100 a month.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
The articles do not support your claims, only give you an excuse to draw conclusions. Your first article points out that many younger adults do not have health insurance. You conclude that it must be because they want a new car instead. You're only source then is YOU.

The last source you list is a conservative study group that is FINANCED BY THE INSURANCE INDUSTRY. Think they have an agenda?
I'm not denying the insurance industry has an agenda. But don't you think the liberals have their own agenda???? They regularly include illegal immigrants in the number of uninsured. They want the health care system to fail so the government can take it over. They're just as greedy and power hungy as big business is.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:40 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,068,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
they don't say the same thing.

young adults AND people who choose not to get insurance AND illegal immigrants make up the majority of the uninsured.

Young adults WHO choose not to get insurance and illegal immigrants make up the majority of the uninsured.

You shouldn't worry about who's on first because obviously you’re sitting on the bench.
No, no, no....How do you know that's what they meant. How do you know, they weren't describing the young adults by saying "people who chose not to have insurance". You don't know that. Basically, they do say the same thing. This is the problem with you liberals, you read way too far into things and can't help yourselves from twisting the real meaning. It's a defect you all share. Absolutely pathetic and embarrasing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies