Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2009, 09:10 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,991,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And I've been there, at 3 am, with a suicidal friend who slit his wrists earlier in the evening. And the medical screening examination determined that clotting was present, so an emergency medical condition didn't exist. Refused admission.
Admission or not is irrelevant to the point of my post. It is however relevant to the point of this thread (and you're example may actually support the argument against UHC - self inflicted wounds?) - in this case he is financially responsible for his health care. Something I agree with, most particularly in this instance.

Anyways it seems at that point he didn't need emergency medical care, he needed mental help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 09:11 AM

61,255 posts, read 87,669,059 times
you go to clinics.
you go to ER
you go to debt
you die

Old 08-13-2009, 09:13 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,749,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
What is it with you guys? My previous post made it clear what I was explaining, an clarified that I was well aware of the provision of EMTALA. I didn't feel I needed to clarify it again for people that cannot take care to back up a few posts.

From EMTALA - "Individuals requesting emergency care, or those for whom a representative has made a request if the patient is unable, must receive a medical screening examination to determine whether an emergency medical condition (EMC) exists". I will refrain from saying WRONG to you (well, I guess I just did) because I know "medical screening" and "ruling out emergency" is just mincing words. See how civilized we can be in a debate?

The point of my post was that regardless of if you have insurance or not, ER or not, a medical screening will be performed that may or may not diagnose cancer if you have such.
I don't give a d*** what your political affiliation is, I would have posted identically to a dem/lib. Using the word "wrong" is just the way I am and has nothing to do with you personally--my husband can attest to that lol.

You stated it was free, I simply corrected your statement so that people don't become upset when they receive a bill from an ER visit.

I completely agree that a visit to the ER is no guarantee of obtaining an accurate diagnosis. Not at all uncommon for patients to present multiple times, be told they have indigestion, only to find out on a later visit that they've burst an appendix and now have peritonitis.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
I don't give a d*** what your political affiliation is, I would have posted identically to a dem/lib. .
Ummm, what? You lost me on that. I acknowledge (agree) with the rest of your post however.

edit: I think my remark "what's with you guys" was interpreted as addressing a political affiliation. Not my intention - I see health care as a bipartisan issue, or it should be anyways.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:17 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,642,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Status Quo: What Do Sick People Do Who Have No Health Insurance?
I've heard the ER is the place to go...

Old 08-13-2009, 09:19 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,987,507 times
Quote:
Admission or not is irrelevant to the point of my post. It is however relevant to the point of this thread (and you're example may actually support the argument against UHC - self inflicted wounds?) - in this case he is financially responsible for his health care. Something I agree with, most particularly in this instance.

Anyways it seems at that point he didn't need emergency medical care, he needed mental help.
Yes, he was a sick person. What do sick people do who have no health insurance? Sometimes they cut their own wrists. And they still get no help, no medical help, not mental help, nothing. Your cavalier attitude is amazing to me. He was financially responsible for his healthcare? And how exactly was he going to pay for it? With blood? Because actually, that's how he did pay for things. By selling his blood plasma. Twice a week. Then purchasing ramen noodles. Sleeping on people's couches when available, sleeping under park benches when they weren't. He was mentally ill. And when he harmed himself, the hospital refused to treat him.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:19 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,422,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
While I think she may have been able to squeeze $80 into her budget at the time.
You're right. I probably could have; there was a lot of money wasted on $1 here and $2 there - it doesn't seem like a lot when its in small incremements but when you add it up over a period of time If I added up all the money I've spent on Blue Bunny Butter Pecan Ice Cream and Lays Salt & Vinegar chips over the past 8 years I could probably buy a new car.

While I don't think it's wise for people to choose to go without insurance, I do understand that sometimes it's just not an option. At the same time there is really no reason for people not to seek treatment when they don’t have insurance because there are so many resources available. When I was without coverage I told the lady at the health department and she gave me a whole booklet of doctors who worked on sliding fees or would accept payment plans and schools that provided services. Many of them aren’t being used or they’re being used by people who don’t appreciate them.

When I was getting my eye exam I remember a lady came in with her mother to find out where they could get assistance for cataract surgery and the closest place was like 3 hours away but it was free. The lady kept complaining about she didn’t have the time to drive 3 hours there and 3 hours back and wasn’t there any place closer and I was thinking to myself “LADY IT’S FREE! We’re not talking about losing your hair we’re talking about losing your vision.”

When I was in transition I ran across a lot of people like that, who took and took and still expected more but I ran into just as many people who were really just trying to make it. They weren’t looking for handouts, they were just trying to stay healthy. A lot of times those people get lumped into those who don’t work, have no desire to work, and never will work because of their circumstances.

For some people it's the light bill or the insurance and that's just the reality of it - we don't all have the same advantages. I consider myself pretty fortunate because my period of struggle occurred when I was young, with little expectations and no kids to support. I can't imagine how people do it with mortgages, car notes and families.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:27 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,749,591 times
Quote:
Ummm, what? You lost me on that. I acknowledge (agree) with the rest of your post however.

edit: I think my remark "what's with you guys" was interpreted as addressing a political affiliation. Not my intention - I see health care as a bipartisan issue, or it should be anyways.
Thanks for clarifying...and I apologize for snapping, I spent a sleepless night praying for relief from a migraine.

Back to the issue of the EMTALA law: do you think it should be revised in any way? I personally think it has been a license to abuse the system by many patients, yet many hospitals were definitely neglecting some patients in dire need of emergency care before it became law.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Yes, he was a sick person. What do sick people do who have no health insurance? Sometimes they cut their own wrists. And they still get no help, no medical help, not mental help, nothing. Your cavalier attitude is amazing to me. He was financially responsible for his healthcare? And how exactly was he going to pay for it? With blood? Because actually, that's how he did pay for things. By selling his blood plasma. Twice a week. Then purchasing ramen noodles. Sleeping on people's couches when available, sleeping under park benches when they weren't. He was mentally ill. And when he harmed himself, the hospital refused to treat him.
Those considered suicidal are covered under EMTALA provisions - as is an emergency medical condition. He might have had a good legal complaint case on his hands.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:35 AM

24,644 posts, read 38,750,417 times
Quote:
Those considered suicidal are covered under EMTALA provisions - as is an emergency medical condition. He might have had a good legal complaint case on his hands.
If he had killed himself........it wouldn't have mattered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies