Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the Obama Healthcare Plan?
Yes 31 31.00%
No 62 62.00%
Not sure 7 7.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 04:08 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times

Advertisements

What "Obama Health Care Plan"? I see a proposal from Congress, nothing really yet from Baucus' heavily health-care-industry backed Senate group. There is no "Obama Plan."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 04:13 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Barrack Obama hasn't shown us a plan yet. He has detailed what he wants in it, and I generally agree with what he wants in it. The plan that people are so pissed about right now was drafted by the House, and will no doubt be tweaked to make better sense.

Obama has said he wants a health plan that,

1. Is paid for

2. Covers all of the uninsured

3. That doesn't reject people for pre-existing conditions.

I think that makes sense.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:17 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
What "Obama Health Care Plan"? I see a proposal from Congress, nothing really yet from Baucus' heavily health-care-industry backed Senate group. There is no "Obama Plan."
you really need to read up more before you post again. he is pushing his plan pretty hard now. talking about taking tonsils and cutting off feet and even how well the post office is doing. this guy is sad very sad

Old 08-12-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
you really need to read up more before you post again. he is pushing his plan pretty hard now. talking about taking tonsils and cutting off feet and even how well the post office is doing. this guy is sad very sad
Uh-huh. Shall I direct you to the THOMAS source for the 1018 page House bill (which I've read all of)? How about Baucus' own web pages and the Senate Finance Committee pages? Those are the only (or only potential) health care plans on the table.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:34 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
Quote:
Uh-huh. Shall I direct you to the THOMAS source for the 1018 page House bill (which I've read all of)? How about Baucus' own web pages and the Senate Finance Committee pages? Those are the only (or only potential) health care plans on the table.
no direct me to the obama speeches where he said doctors take out tonsils and cut off feet cause the pay is better. and how bout we need his plan cause the post office is such a looser. but ups and fedex are doing great as private co"s. he put his foot in his mouth on that one. you will direct me nowhere

Old 08-12-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
no direct me to the obama speeches where he said doctors take out tonsils and cut off feet cause the pay is better. and how bout we need his plan cause the post office is such a looser. but ups and fedex are doing great as private co"s. he put his foot in his mouth on that one. you will direct me nowhere
Are you referring to this statement from new Hampshire?

Quote:
Obama: "All I'm saying is let's take the example of something like diabetes, one of --- a disease that's skyrocketing, partly because of obesity, partly because it's not treated as effectively as it could be. Right now if we paid a family -- if a family care physician works with his or her patient to help them lose weight, modify diet, monitors whether they're taking their medications in a timely fashion, they might get reimbursed a pittance. But if that same diabetic ends up getting their foot amputated, that's $30,000, $40,000, $50,000 -- immediately the surgeon is reimbursed. Well, why not make sure that we're also reimbursing the care that prevents the amputation, right? That will save us money."
(from the transcript at whitehouse.gov and hence not copyright protected, mods)

You think this isn't true? It's 100% true. It's not saying the doctors choose to do the surgery because they get more money, and to read it as though it is is outright dishonest.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:19 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,862 times
Quote:

You think this isn't true? It's 100% true. It's not saying the doctors choose to do the surgery because they get more money, and to read it as though it is is outright dishonest.

I'm "not sure", I KNOW we need reform, but I think the current bill still needs work.

What I do know is that the quoted text (from the whitehouse) is a perfect example of why we can't even have an honest discussion about this. The quote DOES NOT say that anyone is going to chop feet off. It says that we should incent doctors to come up with alternatives. To AVOID chipping feet off.

The bill does not say anything about death panels. It says that we will pay seniors who choose to get counceling about end of life. It's a tough call, and many families would be better off if the wishes of the person who is ill were known.

Quit twisting the facts, and at least we could have an intellegent conversation about this.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:40 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,996,482 times
Technically, it's the Congress plan. Remember how everyone on the right made such a big deal in the 90's when the White House drafted a plan.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:41 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,903,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
The bill does not say anything about death panels. It says that we will pay seniors who choose to get counceling about end of life. It's a tough call, and many families would be better off if the wishes of the person who is ill were known.
Doctors will get reimbursed for counseling.
Seniors won't get paid for undergoing counseling.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:06 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:

I think that you and Obama are talking about making those people eat as they should. Also, have a way to force them to take their meds. I will never be able to relax in a system that allows that. If they can do that then they can say smoking causes all the emphysema cases we have and therefore force people not to smoke.

I bet you think that abortion is the woman's right if she wants it. At the same time you are saying that the government can force people to do healthy things. What the hell. Whose body is it, anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies