Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 01:47 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
Um no. That's the whole point.

The age where most people are making their way in the professional world, they are still under the umbrella of their parent's family plan.

18 is old enough. It's the age people are considered adults. Aren't adults supposed to be responsible for themselves?
Old enough for what? My 18 year old doesn't even have a drivers license. And his part time job offers no healthcare. If he is lucky he will find one by the time he is 23 and done with college. And he is lucky enough to be part of a family where the main breadwinner DOES have a healthcare plan to cover him in the meantime. Not everyone is in the same postition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 01:52 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
No they wont. I wouldn't support that either. Didn't you understand the OP? I said that once people were 18 that they should be responsible for themselves as they are adults.

Yeah. If you were diagnosed at 12, you and your parents should have planned on getting you covered after you turned 18. And why should the taxpayers be responsible for keeping you alive? If you can't find a job with health care, it's your fault, not mine.
Ah, so no more disability insurance, no more SSI, no nothing?? So all those mentally disabled kids, people with CP, MS etc should just be told to just deal with it?? I can't agree with that. There's a saying that goes something like this.. 'To see a persons TRUE character, look at how they treat those they consider below them.'

My parents DID plan on getting me covered when I was 18... unfortunately it didn't work out. I was denied for every single private plan I applied for.

I have this image in my mind of someone asking for a little help in dire circumstances and you laughing, kicking them and walking away. That is how I view people like you. Sorry, I'm not that heartless.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:54 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,053,665 times
This is not my healthcare proposal but if I were to support one this would be it:

Wayne Root: ‘How to Solve the Healthcare Crisis Tomorrow!’ | Independent Political Report

Old 08-14-2009, 01:54 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
If you can't find a job with health care, it's your fault, not mine.
Ok. End of thread.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:58 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Ok. End of thread.
I have a feeling it's not...

I was hired at a place that offered EXCELLENT health insurance benefits. I was sooo excited because I live in constant fear of not getting my meds and getting seriously hurt because of it. After I was hired and my 90 days was up, I went to apply.... I was then told that the insurance I was offered was only available to salaried managers, even though they told me it was available. Apparently, they offered it to me as a 'possible' insurance plan. The one I was offered was much worse and closest doctor was a 2-1/2 hour drive away. The local hospitals didn't accept my insurance either, which meant that I was not covered in an emergency.

Good health insurance is hard to find.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:01 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Ok. End of thread.
I t was already 14 posts to long when you called an end to it
Actually it was already 1 post too long when the OP posted it

Old 08-14-2009, 02:01 PM

529 posts, read 1,301,125 times
Quote:
That is why I do not support Obama's health care initiative.
I do believe our system is broken, but spending billions on the elderly is not the answer.
Lol, so you wanna kill grandma??!!

Go to a town hall and present your proposal, I bet you are going to be treated wonderfully by both sides.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:27 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,350,218 times
Quote:
Old enough for what? My 18 year old doesn't even have a drivers license. And his part time job offers no healthcare. If he is lucky he will find one by the time he is 23 and done with college. And he is lucky enough to be part of a family where the main breadwinner DOES have a healthcare plan to cover him in the meantime. Not everyone is in the same postition.
So your 18 year old is irresponsible.
When I was 18 I had already had full-time jobs, paid for my own car and got myself into college on an Academic scholarship.

Why should the more responsible Americans pay for those who aren't capable of taking care of themselves?

Kids under 18 are fine to support because they cannot do anything about their situations. But once they reach high school, they need to start thinking about adulthood, and health care is a part of that. Coverage for a young person isn't that expensive anyways, and if they don't have that much money, they usually live with their parents, so they can pay for insurance with the money they save in rent and food. Health Insurance plans cost less than a few hundred dollars a month for young people, how is that too expensive?

Old 08-14-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Ok. End of thread.
Not for you to judge. My opinion is just as valid as yours. In fact, my opinion is more valid as I have more knowledge of health insurance (I work with it every day) and am closer to the age of 18. Health Insurance is not a one-sided issue.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elikhom View Post
Lol, so you wanna kill grandma??!!

Go to a town hall and present your proposal, I bet you are going to be treated wonderfully by both sides.
What is wrong with offering 100% full coverage to children? Why is that a bad thing?

The only way we could afford this is by scrapping costly coverage to the Elderly who really don't deserve it anyway. If you're 85, you've already done everything you were going to do with your life, so why waste billions keeping those geriatrics alive?

You people on the left (funny, I get accused of being on the left often on these boards) don't seem to understand that funding programs as large as what you guys want is simply not possible in a country this size. If we chopped up the country into little regions, some could afford this kind of coverage, but many could not. What ends up happening is that people in California and New York will be paying to keep some Wyoming grandfather alive long after his quality of life has slipped. Why not just deny that man GOVERNMENT coverage (because that's what this is about...not about denying all people over 18 coverage, just denying them Government coverage) so a 15 year old with Cancer can get the treatment they need to survive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies