Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 05:56 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,398,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
WASHINGTON — A deal with Switzerland settling U.S. demands for the names of suspected tax dodgers from a Swiss bank has a lot of wealthy Americans with offshore accounts nervously running to their tax advisers — and the Internal Revenue Service.
The U.S. and Swiss governments announced a court settlement last week in efforts by the IRS to force Zurich-based UBS AG to turn over the names of some 52,000 Americans believed to be hiding nearly $15 billion in assets in secret accounts.
Even before the settlement, the high-profile case — coupled with other U.S. efforts to go after Americans hiding undeclared assets — has scared hundreds of tax dodgers to turn themselves in. Boggs said his firm has been taking on 100 new cases a month, a big increase over previous years.
..."I don't think you have much of a choice but to come forward. ... I think the landscape is permanently changed."
"We should have put a clampdown on these tax havens a long time ago".
President Barack Obama, in his proposed 2010 budget, asked Congress to pay for 800 additional agents, examiners and lawyers to go after people who hide money overseas. Obama also wants Congress to require overseas financial institutions doing business in the U.S. to share more information with the IRS.

The Associated Press: Tax dodgers scramble to come clean amid crackdown

OK, class warfare. What else do we have to get excited about? They'll have to dump those dollars pretty soon anyway because the real cheats and thieves are going to devaluate the US dollar so bad that the Swiss accounts won't be worth the maintenance fees to keep them open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 07:47 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasTR View Post
Is it really stealing to hide money they earned from it going to people on welfare, foreign aid, and pointless wars?
Yes, it is.
Theft is theft.

Your question begs the question about your integrity.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:34 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Yes, it is.
Theft is theft.

Your question begs the question about your integrity.
The government is the biggest thief.

Carribean banks are safer than Swiss banks these days. Keep up the war on the rich and they'll increasingly just renounce their citizenship and move overseas where they won't be treated like scum. Quite easy to get in several well developed countries if you have a certain amount of money in the bank. No different than outsourcing of our industry. Then how will you pay for the welfare trash's vote?

Old 08-17-2009, 08:41 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,829,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
WASHINGTON — A deal with Switzerland settling U.S. demands for the names of suspected tax dodgers from a Swiss bank has a lot of wealthy Americans with offshore accounts nervously running to their tax advisers — and the Internal Revenue Service.
The U.S. and Swiss governments announced a court settlement last week in efforts by the IRS to force Zurich-based UBS AG to turn over the names of some 52,000 Americans believed to be hiding nearly $15 billion in assets in secret accounts.
Even before the settlement, the high-profile case — coupled with other U.S. efforts to go after Americans hiding undeclared assets — has scared hundreds of tax dodgers to turn themselves in. Boggs said his firm has been taking on 100 new cases a month, a big increase over previous years.
..."I don't think you have much of a choice but to come forward. ... I think the landscape is permanently changed."
"We should have put a clampdown on these tax havens a long time ago".
President Barack Obama, in his proposed 2010 budget, asked Congress to pay for 800 additional agents, examiners and lawyers to go after people who hide money overseas. Obama also wants Congress to require overseas financial institutions doing business in the U.S. to share more information with the IRS.

The Associated Press: Tax dodgers scramble to come clean amid crackdown
The new public enemy #1, Expand the IRS and hunt them down, they cannot be allowed to get away with that much of Obamas money!

Old 08-17-2009, 08:44 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,572,367 times
LOL, it's beyond amusing that some of you have no problem w/these people dodging their taxes. I'll say it again, the party of personal affect. I just have to shake my head at you guys, the hypocrisy is overwhelming.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
LOL, it's beyond amusing that some of you have no problem w/these people dodging their taxes. I'll say it again, the party of personal affect. I just have to shake my head at you guys, the hypocrisy is overwhelming.
Of course I have no problem with these people, I despise big government.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
The hypocrisy? What hypocrisy?

Old 08-17-2009, 08:54 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,572,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
The hypocrisy? What hypocrisy?
You have no problem people not paying taxes?

Old 08-17-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Taxes that shouldn't exist in the first place you mean?

Old 08-17-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Where is the hypocrisy? I am very consistent, I believe every one should keep as much of THEIR money as possible. Those who have money in offshore accounts still probably are paying more money in taxes than 95% of Americans. Hell No! I have no Problem whatsoever with them trying to protect THEIR money! Where did you say was the Hypocrisy again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies