Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 04:43 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,972,786 times

Advertisements

I've done great during 2008 BECAUSE I'm all doom and gloom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 04:48 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
I've done great during 2008 BECAUSE I'm all doom and gloom.
How's that doom and gloom thing doing in 2009?
The stock markets' been on a tear - an historic run up - in spite of all the doom and gloom folks on here saying "it's gonna crash - the economy is collapsing!!!! OMG!!!!!!"
Well you know what?
Folks who ignored that BS talk made a killing.

Ken

Old 08-15-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
How's that doom and gloom thing doing in 2009?
The stock markets' been on a tear - an historic run up - in spite of all the doom and gloom folks on here saying "it's gonna crash - the economy is collapsing!!!! OMG!!!!!!"
Well you know what?
Folks who ignored that BS talk made a killing.

Ken
I short sold GM, Beazer, and am looking at a position in bubbly green mountain coffee (GMCR). I only short sell sectors I see failing. I have puts on some of the banks as I've already raped the longs from when they were up in the 50's.

Old 08-15-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
I short sold GM, Beazer, and am looking at a position in bubbly green mountain coffee (GMCR). I only short sell sectors I see failing. I have puts on some of the banks as I've already raped the longs from when they were up in the 50's.
Still selling short on GM?

Ken

Old 08-15-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Still selling short on GM?

Ken
After announcing bankruptcy and the initial drop, heck no. Too much volatility at that low level. Toll brothers could be another homebuilder, especially after the US runs out of money for homebuyer stimulus.

The point is that doom and gloomers are making a killing on the backs of the hopeless losers who expect a recovery anytime soon.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
After announcing bankruptcy and the initial drop, heck no. Too much volatility at that low level. Toll brothers could be another homebuilder, especially after the US runs out of money for homebuyer stimulus.

The point is that doom and gloomers are making a killing on the backs of the hopeless losers who expect a recovery anytime soon.
Not off of me.
I've been backing a recovery since 2 days off the market low and I'm up 6 figures.

Am I expecting a bouncy ride?
Heck yeah.
But I'm also expecting a recovery - and so far that's worked out PRETTY GOOD.
And I'm not alone.

Ken

Old 08-15-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Not off of me.
I've been backing a recovery since 2 days off the market low and I'm up 6 figures.

Heck yeah.
And I'm not alone.

Ken
I'm always pleased when people make money, especially me.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:33 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Not off of me.

Heck yeah.
And I'm not alone.

Ken
there is a disconnect when gloating about personal financial gain when there are over 14.5 million unemployed people in this country. i think goldman sachs was gloating before their last fall.......

they go down again and no taxpayer is going to bail them out.

Old 08-15-2009, 05:46 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,812,567 times
Aug. 14 (Bloomberg) -- More than 150 publicly traded U.S. lenders own nonperforming loans that equal 5 percent or more of their holdings, a level that former regulators say can wipe out a bank’s equity and threaten its survival.

The number of banks exceeding the threshold more than doubled in the year through June, according to data compiled by Bloomberg, as real estate and credit-card defaults surged. Almost 300 reported 3 percent or more of their loans were nonperforming, a term for commercial and consumer debt that has stopped collecting interest or will no longer be paid in full.

The biggest banks with nonperforming loans of at least 5 percent include Wisconsin’s Marshall & Ilsley Corp. and Georgia’s Synovus Financial Corp., according to Bloomberg data. Among those exceeding 10 percent, the biggest in the 50 U.S. states was Michigan’s Flagstar Bancorp. All said in second- quarter filings they’re “well-capitalized” by regulatory standards, which means they’re considered financially sound.

“At a 3 percent level, I’d be concerned that there’s some underlying issue, and if they’re at 5 percent, chances are regulators have them classified as being in unsafe and unsound condition,” said Walter Mix, former commissioner of the California Department of Financial Institutions, and now a managing director of consulting firm LECG in Los Angeles. He wasn’t commenting on any specific banks.

Toxic Loans Topping 5% May Push 150 Banks to Point of No Return - Bloomberg.com

Old 08-15-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
there is a disconnect when gloating about personal financial gain when there are over 14.5 million unemployed people in this country.
As opposed to gleefully bragging that 14.5 million people are unemployed (as the Obamabashers have been doing)?

Yes it's catastrophic that so many are unemployed.
You can thank GW for that - instead of trying to dump it on someone who came into office with the problem already in place.
Good job George.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies