Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 08:30 AM

11,579 posts, read 13,964,875 times

Advertisements

Ohh...its working all right!!

Signed,
Rochester, NY Resident
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 08:30 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,553,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
USATODAY.com

We could of told you that before it was passed - Oh, that's right! We did.
You couldnt of told us anything, as you are a two time George W. Bush voter and the very reason we are trillions of dollars in debt.

Well, you could of told us, but we would have ignored you.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:31 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,154,069 times
I believe that history has proven that the U.S. economy is not capable of a period period of growth and prosperity for longer than 8-10 years before a corrects itself. As such, recessions come and go naturally. My concern is that, if history is any guide, we'll break out of the recession and have a period of prosperity, but this period of growth will be blunted by the overwhelming debt load that we are, or will be, carrying as a country. The stimulus no doubt is a big part of this debt. Will a period of 8-10 years of growth be enough to pull us into the black again? Although I am not an economist, it seems to me that the projected debt is far more than we, as a nation, can pay off even in boom times. Thus, the revolving door of prosperity and recessions will do nothing but dig us a deeper hole as the years pass by because of the natural correction that we seem experience every decade or so. I believe the days of budget surpluses and zero national debt are never to be had again.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:34 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,008,422 times
Also, note the polls error of margin (+/- 4%).

Assuming that it's a straight-up poll (a very dubious assumption knowing the source, USA Today), that means pre-stim to now, 3% (roughly) have changed their minds.

You need to find better (more credible) sources.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
You couldnt of told us anything, as you are a two time George W. Bush voter and the very reason we are trillions of dollars in debt.
Oh look, an Obamabot lecturing us on debt.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:47 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,553,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Oh look, an Obamabot lecturing us on debt.

I'm surprised you could spell it. I doubt you know how we arrived where we are today. Perhaps start at the end of Bill Clinton's second term and finish at the end of the second term of the idiot frat boy from Texas.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I'm surprised you could spell it. I doubt you know how we arrived where we are today. Perhaps start at the end of Bill Clinton's second term and finish at the end of the second term of the idiot frat boy from Texas.
Roll up your sleeves everyone and hold on!! We're gonna spend out way out of this mess!!

Old 08-17-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Roll up your sleeves everyone and hold on!! We're gonna spend out way out of this mess!!
That's how we got out of the 30's Depression.

And it's how we'll get out of this one.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:11 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,932,390 times
the war got us out of the depression, so i hope you are not suggesting another war to help out this time. (though you have to wonder with all the escalation in afghanistan, colombia, and pakistan).

Government cannot create new purchasing power out of thin air. If Congress funds new spending with taxes, it is simply redistributing existing income. If Congress instead borrows the money from domestic investors, those investors will have that much less to invest or to spend in the private economy. If Congress borrows the money from foreigners, the balance of payments will adjust by equally reducing net exports, leaving GDP unchanged. Every dollar Congress spends must first come from somewhere else.

as of right now, the chinese are not buying our treasuries and are not funding our deficit. the party has ended and that is why you have geithner promising no more spending.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
the war got us out of the depression, so i hope you are not suggesting another war to help out this time. (though you have to wonder with all the escalation in afghanistan, colombia, and pakistan).

Government cannot create new purchasing power out of thin air. If Congress funds new spending with taxes, it is simply redistributing existing income. If Congress instead borrows the money from domestic investors, those investors will have that much less to invest or to spend in the private economy. If Congress borrows the money from foreigners, the balance of payments will adjust by equally reducing net exports, leaving GDP unchanged. Every dollar Congress spends must first come from somewhere else.

as of right now, the chinese are not buying our treasuries and are not funding our deficit.
No, I'd like to see us get out by using social means- the NRA (not the gun nuts, the program of the 30's) the CCC, socialized health care and school assistance (college).

But, if you look back at the 30's, the history is again repeating, only a bit worse:

Obama (closer to Grover Cleveland than FDR) is underfunding the social stim programs by 2/3.

He also allowed the Auto Industry to offshore

These facts make a jobless recovery a given.

So, just like the late 30's,( post-'36) when the new Congress forced FDR to be fiscally responsible, to concentrate on the deficit rather than unemployment, we will flouder, and extremism will grow.

Remember they were storing guns and food for the coming revolution in Iowa! for god's sake. Prior to Pearl Harbor.

Today, nobody can say for sure what will happen left unchecked; if you notice the GOP is not a beneficary of the ginned-up hatred among our masses.

But it will not be pretty.

And that's both a shame (over the missed opportunity) and a major cause for fear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies