Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2009, 07:45 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheShell View Post
While I strongly support our right to open carry in public, certainly don't think the president's life is any more valuable than my own, and don't have a problem with the guy carrrying, it stikes me as a little disrespectful in this venue at this time. Showing up with a rifle over your shoulder--while it makes an important statement about our rights--probably does more to hurt the cause than help. Just look at how the behavior of some of the extreme leftists and environmentalists comes across. There are more tactful ways to demonstrate our rights.

Now, if they had begun doing this enthusiastically while Bush was in office, if they had coordinated and announced peaceful demonstrations similar to the tea parties with the exception that people were encouraged to open-carry, or if activists had simply encouraged gun owners to demonstrate their rights by open-carrying more often in public on a larger scale while going about their day-to-day business, I'd be more supportive.

In other words, since seeing guns openly displayed in public (even when not brandished) is so shocking to most people, it's probably best if the people carrying them are at least behaving normally in all other ways, as opposed to behaving emotionally (i.e. shouting and holding signs), thus allowing other people time to become re-accustomed to the former. Play the game.
I do not see people reacting in the pics I have seen frightened or threatened in any way by this mans behavior.

I also think the time to care about what others might think has long passed....the left is totally opposed to the private ownership of firearms,that is a given,no matter how they may phrase it....to try and not offend them is pointless.

when your opposition is totally opposed to your position it is pointless and a waste of time to try and find 'middle ground' as it doesn't exist.

The left will only be happy when the people no longer have the right to ownership of firearms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 07:53 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
Does anyone really believe these people pose a danger to Obama?
Why can't gunnuts read?

Originally Posted by Donna7
I agree. That's exactly what is going to happen.

I just hope that innocent people aren't shot in the process. That is what is so disturbing about all of this. I think that the innocent people that are NOT bringing guns to public venues should have the right to safety and security, and not having to worry about what gun-toting creep in the crowd is going to pull out his gun and start shooting. What about those people's right to life????

Come on, out, all you "pro-life" hypocrites who value "life" so much. Or maybe it's that you only value life as long as it's in utero? You don't value life when you carry around guns for "protection." If you ask me, it's everyone else that has to be protected from your complete insanity.

Keep your weapons, your mullets, your beer, your Sarah Palin pin-up poster, and your deer jerky at home.""""

Old 08-18-2009, 07:55 AM

558 posts, read 818,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I do not see people reacting in the pics I have seen frightened or threatened in any way by this mans behavior.

I also think the time to care about what others might think has long passed....the left is totally opposed to the private ownership of firearms,that is a given,no matter how they may phrase it....to try and not offend them is pointless.

when your opposition is totally opposed to your position it is pointless and a waste of time to try and find 'middle ground' as it doesn't exist.

The left will only be happy when the people no longer have the right to ownership of firearms.
I respect your opinion, but I'm more concerned with how the media will spin it to the uninformed public than I am the reaction of his fellow demonstrators. I saw one news channel where the spin doctors were asking, "why can't we do something to stop this? why can't they get rid of this guy?" I'm not worried about offending the left--I'm concerned about alienating the middle and right. It's an unfortunate fact that many people are alienated by behavior like this. They simply don't understand it, and you can't expect the media to help.

I'd love to see the day where people could peacfully open-carry to public rallies without the media so much as mentioning it, but we're not there yet.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:01 AM

1,933 posts, read 1,825,669 times
Do these gun carrying people wear their weapons everyday or only to public events especially when the president is present?

Old 08-18-2009, 08:06 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Quote:
What do you see very wrong about it?

Why are you frightened by your fellow citizens exercising their Constitutional rights?
Dam right. If someone is carrying an assault weapon to public gathering I am going to instantly think nutjob, that is kind of why this is news. It does not happen every day because normal people just don't do that.

So crazy person with assault weapon. That does not scare you?

Old 08-18-2009, 08:07 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Do they wear their weapons to work?
I don't think I can bring one into the federal building unless I'm a FLEA.

How about you?

Do you carry your weapons on dates?
Or don't you have dates, but weapons instead?
______
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
So does anybody know what these idiots are trying to prove, anybody see crap like this at other presidents events, why now?
Because the president is black and these morons are throwing a hissy fit that their candidate didn’t get elected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
There goes the descent into bad politics. Once it's okay for people start taking weapons to intimidate others there it's not going to be much of a stretch for some one to fire off a few rounds to do the same once the sight no longer intimidates people. What one party says is okay for their party to do in the debate will soon come around and have the same thing done by the opposition, rant and scream as one may turn about is fair play.

Once we let violence and intimidation into the political process we become like anyone else that does it, and I think that's the whole thing we have been trying to prevent in the Iraq elections.
How about Bush’s free speech zones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Anybody wandering into a national park on foot without a gun is taking their life in their hands.

But if you grew up in suburbia I can understand your ignorance.
Does a 5 day backpacking trip, ALONE, in Denali count?
I fear morons with guns more than I fear nature.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:07 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:

Lol. If Obama had any interest in taking away your guns he'd be doing it now. (In the real world, not at NRA Fantasy Camp.)

I suppose if they're just strutting around waving their bigger and bigger prostheses at each other, as long as they're kept away from the President, why not. You dont let the children sit at the grownups' table; same situation here.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:11 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,630,908 times
regardless if you agree with it or not, they have the right, in those states, to carry an unconcealed weapon.

thank God for rights huh?

if you don't use them, you lose them.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:13 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,830,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Dam right. If someone is carrying an assault weapon to public gathering I am going to instantly think nutjob, that is kind of why this is news. It does not happen every day because normal people just don't do that.

So crazy person with assault weapon. That does not scare you?

no it doesnt, make because im a little street idk, but dude would have gotten his ass tossed and his gun taken first

Old 08-18-2009, 08:14 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,830,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
regardless if you agree with it or not, they have the right, in those states, to carry an unconcealed weapon.

thank God for rights huh?

if you don't use them, you lose them.
to a presidential event, its okay as long as the guys black huh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies