Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 07:24 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,009,701 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

Here I would like to give everyone the chance to give their own testimony of how Christ has worked in their lives. I know there will be some very heart wrenching testimonies and there will be some that are a lot more subtle. It doesn't matter if you think your testimony is BIG or SMALL...this is for them ALL!

For the BELIEVERS:
Please share your testimony. There are a lot of people here that may be touched by your testimony. Your testimony could hit home to someone out here in cyberspace...Perhaps you have went through something that someone else on here can relate to! Please tell us how you were saved, how your life was BEFORE being a Christian and what effects Jesus has had in your life. Also, to show our "human" side, please tell, if any, if you have any weak areas in your life that you are still working on (work in progress) and are actively seeking God's grace and guidance to get you through and succeed. Even after salvation, we still are all sinners and need God's grace EVERDAY!

For the NON-BELIEVERS:
Please feel free to read everyone's testimony. Please feel free to ask questions regarding someone's testimony. While reading, you may find you have questions. I'm sure most of us will readily do our best to answer the best we can. HOWEVER, this is NOT intended for you to find weaknesses and start Christian bashing. I am really just hoping that some of these testimonies might help someone out there and show everyone that Christians ARE HUMAN TOO! Christians ARE NOT better than anyone else...Christians can just freely admit that they (we) are sinners, but have found redemption through Jesus Christ. Again, we are here to help if you have any honest and sincere questions. But please, do not start bashing on anyone.
If you do not feel that you can be nice...please remember you have free will and do not have to participate in this thread. Please do not misunderstand me here, all non believers are more than welcome to comment and question, just please do not do anything to belittle or demean or dehumanize anyone.
Thank you!

Have fun everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 07:31 PM

606 posts, read 699,307 times
Very nice thread,I'll read others' testimonies.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:41 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,785 times
I was raised in a Catholic home but grew up with no knowledge of Jesus Christ, only as a man that died on a cross for "someone else's sins." As I became a teenager I became increasingly more hostile and rebellious towards religion especially Christianity. When I was 17 I went to live with my Dad in Texas during that time he became a Born Again Christian and began witnessing to me. Shortly after we moved to California, in 1989, during that year I was becoming more and more aggressive and hated Christians. Close to the end of 1989 while traveling to a job site with my Dad, we were not even discussing Christianity, I was overcome by a strange experience that I will never forget. I was shown all of my sins, and how they were counted against me, and the hurt it was causing God. It was as if a window was flung open in front of me, and all the things I had ever done were made known to me. The utter terror and hopelessness I felt was indescribable. As I looked at all that was presented to me I began to say, to myself, "Oh No, I don't want to go to hell! What do I do?" At that moment I heard these words in my mind "accept Jesus Christ and do it now" I began to call on Jesus. I asked my Dad to pull over and we prayed. I began confessing all my sins and repenting calling on Jesus to save me. That day changed my life forever. Thanks be to God!

Old 04-26-2007, 07:47 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,796,420 times
Nice Kawgpz!! I think this is a fine idea in theory, it's just that when you air your weaknesses on this board it gets used against you. We see sharing our testimonies as a way to lift people up and tell them the good news of Jesus Christ and how He can change your life...Satan uses atheists, non-believers, and phonies claiming to be Christians to tear us down and make us look unreliable and untrustworthy. In any other normal setting (if there is such a thing) like Church, testimony is very effective. On this board, it's ammunition for the devil and his workers. I'm not saying that Christians should not share their testimony...not at all. But be prepared to go to battle with Satan.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:50 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,796,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
I was raised in a Catholic home but grew up with no knowledge of Jesus Christ, only as a man that died on a cross for "someone else's sins." As I became a teenager I became increasingly more hostile and rebellious towards religion especially Christianity. When I was 17 I went to live with my Dad in Texas during that time he became a Born Again Christian and began witnessing to me. Shortly after we moved to California, in 1989, during that year I was becoming more and more aggressive and hated Christians. Close to the end of 1989 while traveling to a job site with my Dad, we were not even discussing Christianity, I was overcome by a strange experience that I will never forget. I was shown all of my sins, and how they were counted against me, and the hurt it was causing God. It was as if a window was flung open in front of me, and all the things I had ever done were made known to me. The utter terror and hopelessness I felt was indescribable. As I looked at all that was presented to me I began to say, to myself, "Oh No, I don't want to go to hell! What do I do?" At that moment I heard these words in my mind "accept Jesus Christ and do it now" I began to call on Jesus. I asked my Dad to pull over and we prayed. I began confessing all my sins and repenting calling on Jesus to save me. That day changed my life forever. Thanks be to God!
Praise God! Now brace yourself.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:53 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,469 times
I thank you for this opportunity kawp and I am looking forward to reading others testimony of our Lord and Savior.

I was raised in a Christian home. Although we never had counselled or taught anything from my mom she was always a stellar example to us of what Christianity is. It was not until I was older that I really found Jesus Christ in my life and started to read the scriptures. I don't have any stories of misfortune or hardships but I do have one I'd like to share. (well I guess it was a bit of a hardship) When I was young I had an illness that for the few that were struck with it either died or were left a vegetable for the rest of their lives. Anyways I had to learn everything over again and fully recovered (well not the exact same as I was but that's a good thing) The doctor's even said I was a miracle. I firmly believe now that my life was divinely spared and there must be a reason Heavenly Father has for not taking me home. The hard part now is to figure out what it is. I wish to live my life by the counsel of one of my church leaders: "What can I do to help build Zion. I am here, and everything that I have is upon the altar, and I am prepared to do the will of God no matter what it may be..." I fall so short everyday but I am trying to live my life as to find out what the will of God is for me and do it.
I know that Jesus walked as a man on this earth, was crucified and was raised on the 3rd day. I know he knows and loves us all individually. I am so grateful for what He has done in my life and the path it has taken. I know that there is a plan for all of us and God knows what that plan is and will do what's best for us even when we don't. We must trust in our loving Savior and he will safely guide us home.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:00 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,452,385 times
I was raised going to church. I was a smart kid, received excellent grades, and very rarely got in trouble. I grew up believing that being a Christian meant saying a prayer in which you "asked Jesus into your heart". By this, you really believed that you are a sinner and that Jesus died on the cross for your sins. At an early age, I realized that I said the prayer hundreds of times and never felt any different. Also, I realized that there was a great disconnect between those professing to be Christians and the lives they led during the week. Still, I carried on until we moved from a small town to the big city. I went from private school to a very diverse public school.

Feeling insecure in my family relationships, and left out of the crowd at school, I attached to the first group of kids that would accept me. In time, my life was filled with a lot of things I'm very ashamed to admit I've done. I had a horrible relationship with my parents. I went to church on Sundays because I had to, not because I wanted to.

Several years later, I found myself on a sidewalk, bleeding from being shot in the neck. I was basically shot by a rival group of kids (well, actually, he was an adult) that I didn't even know. I was in the wrong place with the wrong people, and I paid the price. Immediately after I realized what happened, I remember my family and how I had terrible relationships with them, and I remembered God and how I had a terrible relationship with Him. I can't even describe what it's like to find yourself not knowing how long you will live and not being in a right relationship with God. I remember lying on the sidewalk and promising God that if he let me live, I would live for Him. Basically, the bullet stops just millimeters from my spinal chord. I was told that the impact of the bullet alone should have at least left me paralyzed. Instead, I was told that I may never walk again. Well, I walk now and I feel incredibly blessed!

Unfortunately this incident didn't lead me directly to becoming a Christian. I wrestled with many emotions after being shot, and at one point became angry with God. I ended up running away, and finally saw the true depravity of man. I was gone over Christmas (you can imagine the pain felt by my parents), and was eventually arrested and brought home. My parents had started to attend another church while I was gone, and when returning, I saw an immediate change in them. My broken family (I have two siblings) was loving and close. At one point, my father came to me and asked for forgiveness for what he did to cause my rebellion. I started paying attention at our new church.

Being an intellectual, I didn't want to make a decision to be a Christian if I couldn't fully believe in the actual existence of Jesus and the events described in the Bible. I read Evidence That Demands a Verdict by Josh McDowell. I learned the core beliefs of Christianity and other commentaries. I learned that being a Christian wasn't about saying a prayer, it isn't just that Jesus died and took on the sin that separated me from God. It wasn't just about believing it was true (the Bible says that even the demons believe). The kind of faith I needed to have to be a Christian meant that I become devoted to living my life for Christ. This meant that the faith I have produces works and follows His commandments. The works don't save me, but faith in Him does.

I am human. I've made mistakes since becoming a believer. Fortunately, God deals with one sin issue at a time! There are several issues and insecurities I've had to work through (many brought on by professing Christians), but I grow closer and closer, and I have to say that having a relationship with God is the most satisfying thing in this world. My goal in life isn't to follow some set of rules, though. It's to be pleasing to God and bring Him glory. I'm simply shocked at the number of instances in the Bible where we are plainly told that if you are a believer, this will be evident in your life.

The most recent thing I've learned is that as a Christian, we don't need to go back and forth. I felt that for years I was really strong, and then not, and then really strong, and then not. We should grow and mature, and we don't need to be tossed to and fro. It's pretty awesome.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Oh my Marks! That is AWESOME! WOW! Thank you for sharing!

Old 04-26-2007, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Nice Kawgpz!! I think this is a fine idea in theory, it's just that when you air your weaknesses on this board it gets used against you. We see sharing our testimonies as a way to lift people up and tell them the good news of Jesus Christ and how He can change your life...Satan uses atheists, non-believers, and phonies claiming to be Christians to tear us down and make us look unreliable and untrustworthy. In any other normal setting (if there is such a thing) like Church, testimony is very effective. On this board, it's ammunition for the devil and his workers. I'm not saying that Christians should not share their testimony...not at all. But be prepared to go to battle with Satan.
That's fine NorthSouth. It's funny, you are the ONE person (Christian) on here I was expecting to NOT give a testimony. Why? Because you do come on way too strong and have offended some on here. Don't take it personally...
However, if you're not going to give your testimony (as well as weaknesses showing that you ARE human and NOT BETTER than everyone else), please REFRAIN from commenting on other's posts and acting like someone is going to start bashing. You're already starting this out pretty negatively. PLEASE, either be an encouragement and blessing, or quit posting.
Thanks!

Old 04-26-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
I thank you for this opportunity kawp and I am looking forward to reading others testimony of our Lord and Savior.

I was raised in a Christian home. Although we never had counselled or taught anything from my mom she was always a stellar example to us of what Christianity is. It was not until I was older that I really found Jesus Christ in my life and started to read the scriptures. I don't have any stories of misfortune or hardships but I do have one I'd like to share. (well I guess it was a bit of a hardship) When I was young I had an illness that for the few that were struck with it either died or were left a vegetable for the rest of their lives. Anyways I had to learn everything over again and fully recovered (well not the exact same as I was but that's a good thing) The doctor's even said I was a miracle. I firmly believe now that my life was divinely spared and there must be a reason Heavenly Father has for not taking me home. The hard part now is to figure out what it is. I wish to live my life by the counsel of one of my church leaders: "What can I do to help build Zion. I am here, and everything that I have is upon the altar, and I am prepared to do the will of God no matter what it may be..." I fall so short everyday but I am trying to live my life as to find out what the will of God is for me and do it.
I know that Jesus walked as a man on this earth, was crucified and was raised on the 3rd day. I know he knows and loves us all individually. I am so grateful for what He has done in my life and the path it has taken. I know that there is a plan for all of us and God knows what that plan is and will do what's best for us even when we don't. We must trust in our loving Savior and he will safely guide us home.
Thank you Dreameyes...great testimony! Stay strong and keep pressing on!
Thank you for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
I was raised going to church. I was a smart kid, received excellent grades, and very rarely got in trouble. I grew up believing that being a Christian meant saying a prayer in which you "asked Jesus into your heart". By this, you really believed that you are a sinner and that Jesus died on the cross for your sins. At an early age, I realized that I said the prayer hundreds of times and never felt any different. Also, I realized that there was a great disconnect between those professing to be Christians and the lives they led during the week. Still, I carried on until we moved from a small town to the big city. I went from private school to a very diverse public school.

Feeling insecure in my family relationships, and left out of the crowd at school, I attached to the first group of kids that would accept me. In time, my life was filled with a lot of things I'm very ashamed to admit I've done. I had a horrible relationship with my parents. I went to church on Sundays because I had to, not because I wanted to.

Several years later, I found myself on a sidewalk, bleeding from being shot in the neck. I was basically shot by a rival group of kids (well, actually, he was an adult) that I didn't even know. I was in the wrong place with the wrong people, and I paid the price. Immediately after I realized what happened, I remember my family and how I had terrible relationships with them, and I remembered God and how I had a terrible relationship with Him. I can't even describe what it's like to find yourself not knowing how long you will live and not being in a right relationship with God. I remember lying on the sidewalk and promising God that if he let me live, I would live for Him. Basically, the bullet stops just millimeters from my spinal chord. I was told that the impact of the bullet alone should have at least left me paralyzed. Instead, I was told that I may never walk again. Well, I walk now and I feel incredibly blessed!

Unfortunately this incident didn't lead me directly to becoming a Christian. I wrestled with many emotions after being shot, and at one point became angry with God. I ended up running away, and finally saw the true depravity of man. I was gone over Christmas (you can imagine the pain felt by my parents), and was eventually arrested and brought home. My parents had started to attend another church while I was gone, and when returning, I saw an immediate change in them. My broken family (I have two siblings) was loving and close. At one point, my father came to me and asked for forgiveness for what he did to cause my rebellion. I started paying attention at our new church.

Being an intellectual, I didn't want to make a decision to be a Christian if I couldn't fully believe in the actual existence of Jesus and the events described in the Bible. I read Evidence That Demands a Verdict by Josh McDowell. I learned the core beliefs of Christianity and other commentaries. I learned that being a Christian wasn't about saying a prayer, it isn't just that Jesus died and took on the sin that separated me from God. It wasn't just about believing it was true (the Bible says that even the demons believe). The kind of faith I needed to have to be a Christian meant that I become devoted to living my life for Christ. This meant that the faith I have produces works and follows His commandments. The works don't save me, but faith in Him does.

I am human. I've made mistakes since becoming a believer. Fortunately, God deals with one sin issue at a time! There are several issues and insecurities I've had to work through (many brought on by professing Christians), but I grow closer and closer, and I have to say that having a relationship with God is the most satisfying thing in this world. My goal in life isn't to follow some set of rules, though. It's to be pleasing to God and bring Him glory. I'm simply shocked at the number of instances in the Bible where we are plainly told that if you are a believer, this will be evident in your life.

The most recent thing I've learned is that as a Christian, we don't need to go back and forth. I felt that for years I was really strong, and then not, and then really strong, and then not. We should grow and mature, and we don't need to be tossed to and fro. It's pretty awesome.
can you say WOW!
Thank you so much JCO! I am sure others will be very blesses by this! God has really blessed you and spared you! Thank you Thank you Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity