Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 06:12 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
The specified consequence is a term of separation from society, including their families. Rape and other types of assault are not consequences, they are crimes. End of story.
Oh no its not. Short of imprisoning them in a induced coma we as a society can not control their every action.
We get sued if we only offer 1 brand of underwear. We get sue if the cookies are not always whole. We get sued by these animals for anything and everything.
They made a choice. To live outside of civilized law. They have only themselves to blame if life gets tough for them in the world they chose for themselves.
Blaming society because criminals treat one another the way they do is another way of enabling them in what they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 06:19 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
We get sued if we only offer 1 brand of underwear. We get sue if the cookies are not always whole. We get sued by these animals for anything and everything.
Don't change the subject. The subject is rape and violence, not cookies.

Quote:
Blameing society because criminals treat one another the way they do is another way of enabling them in what they do.
A society that runs torture chambers rather than penitentiaries ought to be blamed as loudly and consistently as necessary, and sued as necessary. I don't know what the judiciary is there for at all, if not for things like this.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:23 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Do you not read the actual laws that are in place?

Quote:
Oh no its not. Short of imprisoning them in a induced coma we as a society can not control their every action.
They made a choice. To live outside of civilized law. They have only themselves to blame if life gets tough for them in the world they chose for themselves.
Blaming society because criminals treat one another the way they do is another way of enabling them in what they do.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Don't change the subject. The subject is rape and violence, not cookies.

A society that runs torture chambers rather than penitentiaries ought to be blamed as loudly and consistently as necessary, and sued as necessary. I don't know what the judiciary is there for at all, if not for things like this.
The state does not torture the inmate. They torture each other. They own what they do to each other. Not me, not you not any of us who Choose to live within the law.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Do you not read the actual laws that are in place?
I am a realist. I realize that we can not change a criminal if said criminal does not feel that they are at fault.
I also realize that given the constraints placed upon corrections officers and the system they operate under it is impossible to control what inmates do to each other.
As I said before short of an induced coma we have no effective means to really control what they do to each other.
In a perfect world things would be different. But then in a perfect world we wouldn't have rapists to begin with.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:37 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
The state does not torture the inmate. They torture each other.
Doesn't matter, either morally or legally.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:08 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times
Quote:
The state does not torture the inmate. They torture each other. They own what they do to each other. Not me, not you not any of us who Choose to live within the law.
If the state is aware of what is going on and does nothing to stop it, they are very much involved. That would be no different than if the cops knew somebody was robbing a store, but decided to just ignore it.

I realize we have a lot of very violent, very dangerous criminals locked up, and I am saying we should give them royal treatment. Most importantly, I think we have way too many people who are in for non violent offenses who come out as hardened criminals. I know some people say they know somebody that was raped or abused and did not turn into a criminal. They are the exception, not the rule. Most violent criminals came from tough backgrounds where neglect, abuse, and violence was part of life. If all we do when they exhibit that behavior is toss them in the pit to be brutalized for a few years, why in the hell is anybody surprised when they committ another violent crime? They never had a chance in life, and while it is not our duty to make them cozy and comfy in prison, if we are going to be releasing them back into public, it is nothing short of insanity to pretend that allowing them to be raped and beaten regularly will not have negative reprecussions on society when that person is released.

I do think a few posters have made some good comments about putting criminals that have comitted different offenses in different prisons/half way houses/house arrest programs. Hard prison should be reserved for people who have comitted violent crimes.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:29 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Has anyone here been to prison and or jail or know people that have that can describe their experiences?

Old 08-20-2009, 01:16 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Default Your time may be coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I would say what's good for the goose is good for the gander. What goes around comes around. If you make your bed, lie in it. If the concept of prison wasn't enough to make you think twice, maybe the reality of prison will make you wish you did.
Anyone, your best friend, any of your relatives, your children, your best neighbor, your treasured co-workers, even you yourself, could end up in prison, at any time, anywhere. Why? We all have this great failing within of all us: we're only human, liable to have an accident any time, anywhere.

You might be heading to or from work some day, you might have left home a little late, you're in a hurry, the rising or setting sun got into your eyes, you didn't see that red light in time. Bam! Sorry about that! Just your luck! Little did you know that the woman in the car you hit was pregnet. She survived but the baby died.

Involuntary manslaughter! And you weren't even drinking!

And the greatest mystery we all carry with us, is we'll never, ever know what each of our breaking points are in life. What it would take for us to grab a gun or a knife and kill someone. Unbelievable as it may seem, that can happen to anyone.

Accidents can happen to anyone, anyone, anyone. Prisons can happen to anyone, anyone, anyone. Got that? Or do I need to repeat it?

The U.S. must take the honors of having the most compassion bereft people anywhere in the world. And, strangely, many take great pride in that!

Last edited by tijlover; 08-20-2009 at 01:20 AM.. Reason: Add some lines

Old 08-20-2009, 08:12 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Has anyone here been to prison and or jail or know people that have that can describe their experiences?
Used to speak with a guy who did a few years in a medium security prison in Iowa from drug and weapons charges (meth and a 9mm semi-automatic pistol if you must know). He said that he witnessed no outright prison rape (the bunch of guys in the shower or screaming coming from a cell), but he said that a common prison con among some of the more established inmates was that a few of them would bully and harass a "fish" (new and often young inmate). They would steal his food, smack him around, not let him use the phone, steal his letters from home and read them out loud to everyone within earshot, mock him publicly, threat to rape him, beat him up badly, and so on. One of the prisoners involved in the scam would not take part in any of the violence. At one point several of the aggressive inmates would start to harass the fish in front of the prisoner not taking part in the violence, he would puff up his chest and tell them to back off or he'd take care of them. He'd then befriend the new inmate and "protect" him from the little gang. The new inmate thinks he has gained a valuable friend and ally. However, the fish's new "friend" tells him that he is risking his life protecting him from the group and it is only fair that he get something in return, should the fish refuse, the convict tells the fish that he will no longer be receiving his protection. Soon after the gang jumps the fish and badly beats him and sometimes tortures him until a guard is able to stop it. At this point he usually comes running back to his "friend" and begs for protection and he gets it at the price of his canteen and manhood.

There are prisoners who basically live for these scams at that they all take turns at being the guy who "helps" the fish. And many of these guys often have several "punks" (the term used for a sexually submissive prisoner) at any given time. They do it for a mixture of entertainment and because they know that once a punk is "broken in" that they will no longer have to fight them or threaten them to get sex. Many of them don't figure out what is going on until it is too late and the only thing preventing the guy I used to talk to from having something similar happen to him was that he is a rather big guy and he would have a decent shot at doing some damage to the guy running the scam once he found out that he was being played.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies