Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 08:59 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,334,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
so you think someone who is your cashier, washes and waxes your car, does your drycleaning, prepares your fast food or your waiter etc don't deserve healthcare because they don't pay as much taxes as you? maybe it's because they don't make as much. lol
You did not understand my post. Healthcare is not a right for anyone, meaning that Healthcare is not guaranteed to anyone by simple virtue of his or her existence. If Government gives you something, it can take that something away. Therefore, it is not a right.

About the taxes: I meant it is unfair to people who pay taxes (in significant amounts) to pay for Government Healthcare for the tens of millions of people without Healthcare insurance.

I think everyone should have the ability to purchase Healthcare, but they should be responsible for it themselves. If they can not afford it, we have programs for poor to receive Health Insurance (i.e. Medicaid). I still do not believe Health insurance should be guaranteed to anyone.

We need to open up the Health insurance market by allowing competition across state lines and instituting tort reform. We should also place fewer mandates on insurance companies, so it is more feasible to offer basic policies with higher deductibles and lower premiums. We should also have patients pay for routine and high frequency conditions in cash, so that insurance is true insurance (meaning it covers conditions that are expensive to treat but statistically unlikely to occur).

Homeowner's insurance does not toilet repair, water leaks, roofs, nicks and bruises nor does auto insurance cover oil changes, brakes, etc. Allow Health insurance to operate in the same manner.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:00 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPoleMarathoner View Post
What planet are you on.

Hitler was a leftist.
Oh yes, very funny.
Attached Thumbnails
Woman Yells Heil Hitler To Jewish Man at Las Vegas Town Hall-hitler.jpg  

Old 08-18-2009, 09:02 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVS4Zgjm8HE

I don't even know what to say about this immature ***** of a woman. WOW! There are some idiots out there
Jerry Springers America

Old 08-18-2009, 09:03 PM

843 posts, read 1,298,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Oh yes, very funny.

What's your point?

Old 08-18-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
Nor was it precluded that legislation could be passed to provide it, not that anyone has suggested it be free.

The thing I don't get is.... our health care system costs more than any of the nationalized, single payer or UHC found in other western industrialized countries. And, our rankings for overall health care in the US is poor!

It's not free... but we are currently paying more now than just about everyone else! And I don't think that co-ops or crossing state lines would change that as long as it was still in the control of private insurance companies.

I will say this... and it's depressing. The misinformation and down right lies put out there by the right fronted by Americans for Prosperity, FreedomWorks and their ilk has been effective. They have misrepresented themselves as grass roots, not only at the town halls but by putting up sites like patients first which sound quite neighborly until you find out FreedomWorks and Dick Armey, who want to end Medicare and Social Security, are behind them. And yet, there are folks out there that don't see what's behind the false claims that are being put forth.

You could not be more wrong. Which Health insurance programs have $ 35 Trillion (perhaps even more, depending on how far out you go) in unfunded liabilities? It's Medicare and Medicaid, which are Government run. It's Medicare and Medicaid that are broke, not the private insurers.

Our life expectancy at birth lags behind some other nations, but much of that is b/c of higher incidences of death from Auto accidents and violence. We are also a large, diverse nation. It is hard for us to beat smaller homogeneous nations in life expectancy at birth. If you took Irish or German Americans, for example, against Irish and German nationals, we'd be very competitive. Certain ethnic groups have higher and lower life expectancies within the same country.

If you're in San Jose, I hope you appreciate that it was liberal policies that brought your state to its knees. California has: high taxes, progressive tax rates, weak immigration enforcement, powerful public sector employees' unions, generous compensation and benefits for public sector employees and retirees, stringent labor laws, strict environment regulations, the highest paid teachers, bloated Government payrolls. What happened to the utopia?

Old 08-18-2009, 09:05 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Stupid, just stupid.

President Obama isn't Hitler. I didn't agree with it when people called President Bush that, and I still don't agree with it now.

This video should make everyone with a thinking brain sick, because its just pathetic.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:07 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Default Defend this deathers (video)

To all of you who think those idiots hootin' and hollerin' at the town hall meetings are righteous, what say you in this case?

YouTube - Woman Yells Heil Hitler To Jewish Man at Las Vegas Town Hall

Old 08-18-2009, 09:08 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Who is proposing free health care? It's not in ANY of the bills on the table currently.
Yes it is.

United States National Health Care Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-18-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Who is proposing free health care? It's not in ANY of the bills on the table currently.
I didn't mean free in that sense. I meant free in the sense that, were Healthcare a right (which it is not), it would be 'free.' Our true rights (speech, 2nd Amend, etc) are free.

For ex, Public Education is by no means free and is a privilege. You have to be a legal resident of the municipality, pay certain fees, pay RE tax if you own (and pay for even if you rent), etc. It's not guaranteed wily nilly.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:12 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
To all of you who think those idiots hootin' and hollerin' at the town hall meetings are righteous, what say you in this case?

YouTube - Woman Yells Heil Hitler To Jewish Man at Las Vegas Town Hall
I say someone already started a thread on this...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies