Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2009, 02:16 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times

Advertisements

YES SHE DID!

a big L in her column!

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Lashing out in anger is never impressive.

You made the claim that immigrants are demanding that we learn their languages. You made that claim first. I asked you to back it up.

You have failed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 02:43 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,847,521 times
Speaking in another language in this country in an unappropriate manner is disrespectful!

Yooooo Betchaaa !

Old 08-28-2009, 03:43 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,001,340 times
So if as guy from Zacatecas can learn English, why can't you learn Spanish?

Are you afraid that he's smarter than you?

Is that the dirty little secret here?

Old 08-31-2009, 08:47 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,240,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
American etiquette? Is this somehow different that etiquette anywhere else?? I agree that it's stupid and impolite to speak about someone in front of their face in a language they don't understand, but this is no justification for "outlawing" non-English languages.
I'm not calling for the outlawing of languages other than English. That's absurd. And, yes, Americans do have an identifiable system of etiquette that tends to differ from that which is prevalent in many other countries. This should be obvious. My only point is that, when in mixed company and especially in places of business, people should defer to the common language, the English language. I mean, how else would a person whose native tongue is Vietnamese communicate successfully with a native Spanish speaker, when knowledge of each other's respective native languages is substantially limited?

Quote:
How many times do English speakers do the same thing by way of nuances, double entendres, and so on? I've seen it done so many times. English speakers making fun of some poor guy who doesn't yet know English well enough to understand the language's enormous propensity for double meanings, making him the butt of some office or workplace joke. It's not funny, but the English-only crowd at the water cooler laughs up a storm. That's just as rude, wouldn't you say?
Yes, and manipulative. This very thing has happened to me abroad as well. But at the same time, I've always tried to make a good faith effort to acquaint myself with the customs and mores of the country I traveled to. Books, articles, whatever I could get my hands on. Most were pleasantly surprised at my level of attentiveness to such things, and it definitely made my stay a heck of a lot easier.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:17 AM

19,527 posts, read 9,543,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Yes, its about global commerce. You find multi-lingual package directions, package inserts and user manuals all over the world. I've never heard anyone whine about it except in the U.S.
Not against corporations including pamphlets in multiple languages. That's great, I can keep the language pamphlet that I am comfortable with and toss the others. What gets my goat [in a manner of speaking] is when
all languages are printed on JUST ONE sheet of paper, ok?

Old 09-02-2009, 08:54 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,067,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Not against corporations including pamphlets in multiple languages. That's great, I can keep the language pamphlet that I am comfortable with and toss the others. What gets my goat [in a manner of speaking] is when
all languages are printed on JUST ONE sheet of paper, ok?
Get a life...

We are inundated with self absorbed whiners in this country who don't have anything to complain about so the worry abut a multilingual instruction manual.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Get a life...

We are inundated with self absorbed whiners in this country who don't have anything to complain about so the worry abut a multilingual instruction manual.
If one can read it without needing a magnifying glass.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:35 AM

Forgive me for wanting to read and know how to use a product properly

Old 09-04-2009, 08:05 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,150,121 times
Well if you would have read the beginning post you would understand that we are not saying NOT to speak another language but have some respect when people are present, especially English speaking people. Don't talk about someone in another language or engage in a conversation in the earshot of another person who can't understand. It is disrespectful no matter how you quote america as being a free-speech country... Don't abuse the freedom is all we are saying. You can see by this thread that many people are offended by it.. So why continue to offend Americans? It is just plain stupid if you ask me. I would never go to France, Germany or any other country and do that... Maybe the word respect does not exist in other countries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
This is just stupid behavior. So deal with the stupidity. No need to vilify all who speak other languages or tell us we must speak English because of a few idiots. Come on! America is a free-speech country, no matter what language. It should stay that way or cease to be America.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:12 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,426,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
Well if you would have read the beginning post you would understand that we are not saying NOT to speak another language but have some respect when people are present, especially English speaking people. Don't talk about someone in another language or engage in a conversation in the earshot of another person who can't understand. It is disrespectful no matter how you quote america as being a free-speech country... Don't abuse the freedom is all we are saying. You can see by this thread that many people are offended by it.. So why continue to offend Americans? It is just plain stupid if you ask me. I would never go to France, Germany or any other country and do that... Maybe the word respect does not exist in other countries?
Considering that I don't speak French, German or Spanish, I would. I have no choice but to speak English. OTOH, I'm not paranoid enough to get my britches in a twist because someone is speaking a language I don't understand within my earshot, no more than I get upset when people speak English quietly enough for me not to hear what they are saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies