Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2009, 09:40 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
It's intriguing how many people think English is the official language in the United States. This whole thing called "freedom" is supposed to allow us to be who and what we choose, including what language we speak. I know immigrants from generations ago who still speak their native Eastern European languages.

It's odd that the people who scream freedom the loudest tend to be the ones who ultimately want everyone to conform to what is essentially a conservative, white, rural/exurban, Christian worldview.

Doesn't sound like freedom to me.
I appreciate your point, but there is a lack of respect when people flat out refuse to assimilate. As I stated in an earlier post on this thread, my area of NY is very quickly becoming Russian dominated. It is a very strange and disconcerting feeling when you are the outsider in your own country. After observing the lifestyle of these immigrants, I have no choice but to draw the conclusion that they have only come here to abuse the system and not to become American. This is not a matter on non-conformity, but out and out taking advantage of what they can get without respect for the country that they have chosen to migrate to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 09:46 PM

722 posts, read 1,109,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Nice Teddy [Roosevelt].
Do we have any more room on shampoo/conditioner bottles to add another language ? What would it be next? Chinese?

I've opened up radio/accessory packages to find printed pamphlets not one but two or three, sometimes more. One is for Spanish (of course),
one may be German, or Italian, or Dutch, or,.... I suppose it's not as
bad as putting it all on just one sheet, so small that you need a magnifiying glass. And, they wonder why we don't read the instructions
Blame the corporations for that. The more language barriers they knock down the more they can push their product. More languages on the box equals more money.

I agree though, that English should be this countries primary language however I do not see why it should be required to learn or speak. If people who move here choose to remain ignorant of it then we should not go out of our way to make it easier for them.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:47 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Not only is speaking another language in an unappropriate manner disrespectful..it's unpolite and shows an uninterest in being a part of our society. It's just plain unnice, in my opinion. It's unamerican and unneighborly. Some of it's even spoken uncorrectly.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:12 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,079,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Indeed, I've overheard a few slurs thrown about in conversations among Spanish speakers where I worked from time to time. It was obvious they assumed I didn't understand them, but I did, and I took umbrage to it. It's a good bet that they would likely not have used that type of language while speaking English.
This is just stupid behavior. So deal with the stupidity. No need to vilify all who speak other languages or tell us we must speak English because of a few idiots. Come on! America is a free-speech country, no matter what language. It should stay that way or cease to be America.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Not only is speaking another language in an unappropriate manner disrespectful..it's unpolite and shows an uninterest in being a part of our society. It's just plain unnice, in my opinion. It's unamerican and unneighborly. Some of it's even spoken uncorrectly.
No, it isn't! Live and let live. Relax. No one is trying to take anything from you by way of being multi-lingual. I promise.

Not to pick on you, but the words are "impolite," "uninterested," "un-nice" (is that a word?), "un-American" (proper noun here), "un-neighborly," and "incorrectly." Just trying to help you out with English.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 08-27-2009 at 10:26 PM.. Reason: English lesson.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:21 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
I am married to a Thai national. My wife refuses to speak Thai in public because she feels that it is rude. She also wants to speak english to improve her skills. Makes perfect sense to me. At home she helps me with my Thai and when I go to Thailand I do my level best to speak Thai. Why ? Out of respect.
Why immigrate to another country unless you are prepared to adapt to your new home???

Old 08-27-2009, 11:17 PM

Default The English-only rule

For those of you who had posts with a few words in another language deleted from this thread, please note that the City-Data TOS does require English only when posting. However, I've made a plea with a rationale in the Administration zone for C-D to consider a change to this rule. Have your say:

Languages section

Now hopefully this post won't get deleted as off topic.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
For those of you who had posts with a few words in another language deleted from this thread, please note that the City-Data TOS does require English only when posting. However, I've made a plea with a rationale in the Administration zone for C-D to consider a change to this rule. Have your say:

Languages section

Now hopefully this post won't get deleted as off topic.
Why not just go to a forum that posts in your desired language?

Old 08-27-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Why not just go to a forum that posts in your desired language?
Did you read my suggestion and consider my rationale? C-D is a site about living, traveling and other issues the world over. Seems to me there is a call for a section where languages other than English can be used without the threat of deleted posts and punitive measures. Or, maybe C-D should regress three years and go back to discussing only the U.S.

ETA: What makes City-Data interesting to me is that it's constantly evolving and branching out into new areas. Why not a language area? See what I mean?

Old 08-27-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Did you read my suggestion and consider my rationale? C-D is a site about living, traveling and other issues the world over. Seems to me there is a call for a section where languages other than English can be used without the threat of deleted posts and punitive measures. Or, maybe C-D should regress three years and go back to discussing only the U.S.
Or perhaps because it is a US based ORG that they require english only. Sort of like what our gov should do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies