Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2009, 11:31 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,087,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
But most likely they lived in communities where they spoke those languages. Your grandfathers most likely learned English first and better than your grandmothers because they had to go out to work and your grandmothers stayed home and talked only to women of the same nationality. Your parents learned to speak English at school, likely speaking Polish or Russian at home and English everywhere else. And you probably speak only English.

That's the pattern for learning English that has occurred over the years with all immigrants (except the PA Dutch) and it is the pattern being followed by Spanish speaking immigrants, legal or illegal.
Definitely agree.

Starting to see a pattern on this thread. Because Spanish spoken by a big part of the population, some English speakers feel that they are "forced to learn" Spanish. This isn't the case. No one is forcing English speakers to learn a darned thing! Don't learn! But don't bemoan those who speak another language. So what? This is America -- home of freedom of speech!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 11:47 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,060,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Christ the stupidity is deep. Point to any immigrants who "demand" that anybody here learns Spanish.

They don't exist. And you are stoking hatred and racial tensions using a bogus analogy.
I agree with you on this. I know the middle American hillbillies do not travel that often. But if they did they would see alot of the world population is multi lingual.

The small mindedness is bothersome.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:48 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,721,951 times
It's intriguing how many people think English is the official language in the United States. This whole thing called "freedom" is supposed to allow us to be who and what we choose, including what language we speak. I know immigrants from generations ago who still speak their native Eastern European languages.

It's odd that the people who scream freedom the loudest tend to be the ones who ultimately want everyone to conform to what is essentially a conservative, white, rural/exurban, Christian worldview.

Doesn't sound like freedom to me.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:53 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,060,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
It's intriguing how many people think English is the official language in the United States. This whole thing called "freedom" is supposed to allow us to be who and what we choose, including what language we speak. I know immigrants from generations ago who still speak their native Eastern European languages.

It's odd that the people who scream freedom the loudest tend to be the ones who ultimately want everyone to conform to what is essentially a conservative, white, rural/exurban, Christian worldview.

Doesn't sound like freedom to me.
You've got it. Great post.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:55 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,721,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
You've got it. Great post.
I'm not sure we're evolved enough to be a libertarian society, but boy would it be nice.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:31 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,087,110 times
Default City-data is English only?

Hmm, I didn't know that City-Data was an English-only forum. Can someone show me where this is stated in the forum rules? Maybe I missed that, but I honestly don't remember ever seeing anything about English only. I'm not always the sharpest when it comes to rules, so maybe I missed it.

Bringing it up because there have been some moderator deletions on this thread. There are many threads on City-Data where languages other than English are used here and there. Gonna' be some job tracking them all down and deleting.

ETA:

English only - http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html (though its reach is the *World-wide* web).

Last edited by Winston Smith; 08-27-2009 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: I stand corrected

Old 08-27-2009, 02:52 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,221,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Wouldn't you say that this has to do with global corpratization and not some kind of American pandering to immigrants? If you're an electronics manufacturer (of radio accessories, f. ex.) who distributes products from, say, Malaysia to markets all over the world, I can see how you'd want to publish one pamphlet in several languages rather than several pamphlets, one for each language. And then you'd have to branch the distribution of your product based on the languages of the pamphlets? All of those languages are done for corporate expediency's sake and cost savings (profits), not for the benefit of immigrants to America. I don't know for sure. Maybe I'm wrong.
Yes, its about global commerce. You find multi-lingual package directions, package inserts and user manuals all over the world. I've never heard anyone whine about it except in the U.S.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:37 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,296,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
Hi, I just wanted to say that I have read many of these threads throughout the last few months and I am appalled by what I have read. I have commented on many controversial subjects. I couldn't find the thread that was discussing the problems with racial issues and barriers in Southern California so I decided to start a new thread. I believe there isn't as much of a racial issue but a "language issue" and I believe if we ALL returned to our roots and where this Country started we would all get along better. Respect is the key word here.

I believe that those who move to this Country have the right to do so but it should be required that they learn the English language and that the English Language should be the primary language. I believe that this Country was founded on the English language and it should be respected. I have seen as a former resident of California that the language of this Country is NOT respected at all. That other languages are used to intimidate those who speak only English and now it is required in many arena's that secondary languages be taught, learned and spoken. This is a boundary issue and a disrespect and should never have been tolerated in the first place . As far as I am concerned there is a little too much freedom in this Country... I love all people, races and in my eyes all people are equal but I think we have a major problem. Hopefully these words do not bring offense to anyone but an awareness of how others might be feeling who speak the English language as their primary source of communication . Please read an archive that I found that was stated many years ago by one of our respected leaders: I believe it has not been followed. How sad...

"The year is 1907, one hundred and 2 years ago".

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' Theodore Roosevelt 1907
Teddy was not talking about private usage of foreign languages but of official uses. Otherwise I agree. Kick out any non-citizen with a felony. But other foreign criminals on a short leash.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:43 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,483,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Como?

La Ley- y la Historia del Estados Unidos- se dice que su palavras (arriba) estan errado.

En totalmente!

Funny stuff.

See, only my satirical espanol gets deleted.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:39 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,248,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Definitely agree.

Starting to see a pattern on this thread. Because Spanish spoken by a big part of the population, some English speakers feel that they are "forced to learn" Spanish. This isn't the case. No one is forcing English speakers to learn a darned thing! Don't learn! But don't bemoan those who speak another language. So what? This is America -- home of freedom of speech!
True, but I think many use that notion to hide behind their native tongue, especially in situations where they decide to engage in speech that they know would otherwise offend those who don't happen to understand what they are saying. Indeed, I've overheard a few slurs thrown about in conversations among Spanish speakers where I worked from time to time. It was obvious they assumed I didn't understand them, but I did, and I took umbrage to it. It's a good bet that they would likely not have used that type of language while speaking English. I've also had Spanish-speakers become irritated with me because I had difficulty understanding them. I mean, come on.

Last edited by MrSykes; 08-27-2009 at 08:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies