Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 08:28 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,790,552 times

Advertisements

Yes, I was there. I rarely talk about it because, to be honest, as a 12 year old, I didn't really have a "great time" of it and probably would have preferred doing other things. It was just one of those things that older relatives drag you to when you visit them in the summer time. But looking back on it, I guess it was a symbol of the 1960s for many.
That aside, I have often wondered why the so called "Woodstock Generation" turned out to be as bad or even worse than the "pigs" they hated so much back then. All I recall about those people- including the relatives I went there with- was that they were about "love" and "changing the world". They hated the war and the greed of their parents. They despised the "establishment".
So what happened to them? They hated Veitnam and did not want to go fight in it but have no problem sending Generation X to Iraq which has even less justification.
They hated "greed" and wanted to "share the land" but now they lord over Wall Street and big business that has NEVER been more greedy than it is right now. In 1969 working people were much better off. My mother did not work, my father was a blue collar worker and, while we did not live high on the hog, there was always food and the bills got paid. Back then the richest 5% held much less total wealth than they do now.
So the question is did 400,000 people engage in what is The Big Lie or did they just toss all their ideals on the ground with their sleeping bags and trash when they left Max's farm?
It is really funny that me- a person who did not really care for Woodstock or for hippies- get the critical end of ex hippies calling me a .... dare I say it..... a LIBERAL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 08:36 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,580,025 times
I have no idea. I myself wasn't born yet....my parents were in their, I think late 20's? Wait, what year was Woodstock again? Let's see, it must've been '69...I wasn't born til '71. My mom was 33 in '69 & had 3 kids at the time. Anywho, my parents were & still are pretty straight-laced, they never would've been doing all the things we think of during that time. I guess people had fun back then but forgot about it when they got older. Or, as a lot of republicans like to say, you're liberal when you're young & then when you get older you become republican. I myself don't adhere to that adage....I'm 38 & I've gotten more liberal w/age.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:38 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,388,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Yes, I was there. I rarely talk about it because, to be honest, as a 12 year old, I didn't really have a "great time" of it and probably would have preferred doing other things. It was just one of those things that older relatives drag you to when you visit them in the summer time. But looking back on it, I guess it was a symbol of the 1960s for many.
That aside, I have often wondered why the so called "Woodstock Generation" turned out to be as bad or even worse than the "pigs" they hated so much back then. All I recall about those people- including the relatives I went there with- was that they were about "love" and "changing the world". They hated the war and the greed of their parents. They despised the "establishment".
So what happened to them? They hated Veitnam and did not want to go fight in it but have no problem sending Generation X to Iraq which has even less justification.
They hated "greed" and wanted to "share the land" but now they lord over Wall Street and big business that has NEVER been more greedy than it is right now. In 1969 working people were much better off. My mother did not work, my father was a blue collar worker and, while we did not live high on the hog, there was always food and the bills got paid. Back then the richest 5% held much less total wealth than they do now.
So the question is did 400,000 people engage in what is The Big Lie or did they just toss all their ideals on the ground with their sleeping bags and trash when they left Max's farm?
It is really funny that me- a person who did not really care for Woodstock or for hippies- get the critical end of ex hippies calling me a .... dare I say it..... a LIBERAL!
Oddly enough, I was no where close to being a hippie in 1969.... but now I'm considered by many to be very liberal.

As to your question, my first thought is that the right wing has worked a lot harder to gain power and influence than the liberals. The right are, for lack of a better term, more committed in their belief that the gov't can do nothing right mantra and work harder to discredit the liberal stance.

Honestly, I think the liberals could learn a few lessons from the right even if they don't actually implement all of their tactics.

Side note... was at Woodstock '94 and although not as cool as '69... still a neat experience.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I have no idea. I myself wasn't born yet....my parents were in their, I think late 20's? Wait, what year was Woodstock again? Let's see, it must've been '69...I wasn't born til '71. My mom was 33 in '69 & had 3 kids at the time. Anywho, my parents were & still are pretty straight-laced, they never would've been doing all the things we think of during that time. I guess people had fun back then but forgot about it when they got older. Or, as a lot of republicans like to say, you're liberal when you're young & then when you get older you become republican. I myself don't adhere to that adage....I'm 38 & I've gotten more liberal w/age.
Maybe I have too. I don't know. I voted twice for Republicans and could never see myself ever voting for one again.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
Oddly enough, I was no where close to being a hippie in 1969.... but now I'm considered by many to be very liberal.

As to your question, my first thought is that the right wing has worked a lot harder to gain power and influence than the liberals. The right are, for lack of a better term, more committed in their belief that the gov't can do nothing right mantra and work harder to discredit the liberal stance.

Honestly, I think the liberals could learn a few lessons from the right even if they don't actually implement all of their tactics.

Side note... was at Woodstock '94 and although not as cool as '69... still a neat experience.
Honestly- and not to upset the purist- Woodstock 94 was probably MILES better than 1969 was. Woodstock was really a huge clusterphock that somehow people got through with only a few of them being killed. We were only supposed to be there for the first day and ended up there until late Sunday because there was no way out of the place. It was not comfortable and smelled like hell but people- for the most part- just made the best of the situation. I will bet 94 was well organized with enough food and clean outdoor toilets.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Maybe I have too. I don't know. I voted twice for Republicans and could never see myself ever voting for one again.
Ok, I'm going to admit something that I never have on this forum before because I was ashamed & I just KNOW it will come back & bite me on the ass.....when I was first able to vote, I voted for.....Bush, Sr. Yes, I hang my head in shame. My only defense is....my dad at the time was a republican & I'm pretty sure he voted for Bush & I was young & didn't know any better & just based my vote on who my parents voted for. Yikes.....I need a drink....ahhhh, thank you pinot noir, you're my best friend. LOL...to be serious, yes it's true. After that, I got an education apart from my dad & I've voted democrat ever since. I actually talked to my dad tonight for 1 1/2 hrs. & he is so utterly cool in his views. He's a libertarian but I asked him about all this nonsense about bringing guns into presidential rallies & he just had to shake his head at the idiocy of some & their interpretation of gun rights. Big "RIGHT ON!!!" for my daddy right now!

Old 08-20-2009, 08:47 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,763,018 times
While the hippies and folks who attended Woodstock got most of the media attention, the majority of boomers weren't there and didn't really engage in that subculture any deeper than smoking pot on the weekends and wearing hippie clothes. Those who sincerely embraced the culture of peace and personal liberation of the time are NOT the ones who went on to become the corporatists and exploiters of today.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Ok, I'm going to admit something that I never have on this forum before because I was ashamed & I just KNOW it will come back & bite me on the ass.....when I was first able to vote, I voted for.....Bush, Sr. Yes, I hang my head in shame. My only defense is....my dad at the time was a republican & I'm pretty sure he voted for Bush & I was young & didn't know any better & just based my vote on who my parents voted for. Yikes.....I need a drink....ahhhh, thank you pinot noir, you're my best friend. LOL...to be serious, yes it's true. After that, I got an education apart from my dad & I've voted democrat ever since. I actually talked to my dad tonight for 1 1/2 hrs. & he is so utterly cool in his views. He's a libertarian but I asked him about all this nonsense about bringing guns into presidential rallies & he just had to shake his head at the idiocy of some & their interpretation of gun rights. Big "RIGHT ON!!!" for my daddy right now!
I voted for Bush Sr too. He seemed non threatening and I just could not hold my nose and vote for Michael Dukakis after that tank stunt. He was one and Reagan vs Mondale was the other time. As bad as Jimmy Carter was I held my nose and voted for him again.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
While the hippies and folks who attended Woodstock got most of the media attention, the majority of boomers weren't there and didn't really engage in that subculture any deeper than smoking pot on the weekends and wearing hippie clothes. Those who sincerely embraced the culture of peace and personal liberation of the time are NOT the ones who went on to become the corporatists and exploiters of today.
If this is true, where are they today? They certainly speak very quietly. Most of the liberals I see are people under 30.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
I voted for Bush Sr too. He seemed non threatening and I just could not hold my nose and vote for Michael Dukakis after that tank stunt. He was one and Reagan vs Mondale was the other time. As bad as Jimmy Carter was I held my nose and voted for him again.
You still haven't accepted my friendship request by the way, bad you! Anyway, I have to ask.....I was too young to remember the Carter days, I mean I vaguely remember them, I remember peanuts, but not much else...why is he considered such a bad president? Now I think of him as such a cool guy, he's so calm, a pacifist, just an all around good guy. What exactly was the problem w/him I wonder?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies