Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 06:54 AM

4,459 posts, read 4,210,102 times

Advertisements

Aug 22nd, 2009 | WASHINGTON -- Guaranty Bank became the second-largest U.S. bank
to fail this year after the Texas lender was shut down by regulators and most of its operations
sold at a loss of billions of dollars for the U.S. government to a major Spanish bank.

The transaction approved by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. marked the first time a foreign
bank has bought a failed U.S. bank.

Large Texas bank shut by federal regulators - Salon.com (http://www.salon.com/wires/ap/business/2009/08/22/D9A7RBO81_us_guaranty_bank_failure/index.html - broken link)

Wow, of all places Texas? Selling out to a foreign country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 07:29 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Looks like Guaranty Bank wanted to play with the big boys out in California with too many loans that went sour. They should have stayed local and they just might be still open today under their own name.

Guaranty's problems have been in our local papers for weeks - they have been trying to find "investors" but no such luck. I thought the FDIC would have siezed them last week but Colonial was another big one; guess the FDIC is spreading them out.

Can you believe that the FDIC let a foreign country's bank buy them out ??

Old 08-22-2009, 07:30 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Obviously, nobody from the Bush family is running the place ...

Old 08-22-2009, 07:32 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,600,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Yes. One need only consider who owns many of our more popular, large Banks.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:35 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,972,786 times
I don't think any Swiss banks will want to be buying any US banks anytime soon.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Obviously, nobody from the Bush family is running the place ...
Bush was never into Texas banks. This has nothing to do with Bush; it was California loans gone bad that did them in. They were greedy and conservative Texas wasn't good enough for them.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:20 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
the FDIC brokered the deal!!! The government also agreed to shoulder the bulk of the losses on all of Guaranty’s loans — a deal sweetener that the government has rarely extended to overseas buyers.

you are just adding MORE proof that obama is a global corporatist bent on destroying america's sovereignty. even air america (hardly a conservative organization) nails obama as a "charming liar".

i urge all americans not to deposit their money in this bank, BBVA COMPASS!

Last edited by floridasandy; 08-22-2009 at 08:39 AM..

Old 08-22-2009, 09:02 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
you are just adding MORE proof that obama is a global corporatist bent on destroying america's sovereignty.
How predictable. The economy is both global and corporate-dominated. Maybe you'd also complain that your Everglades tour guide was some guy who'd just spent his whole life tramping around in swamps? The Guaranty takeover was meanwhile the result of an open auction. How much more "free market" can you get than that? As to your absurd sovereignty rant, there are thousands of wholey-owned subsidiaries of foreign companies operating in the US and thousands of wholey-owned subsidiaries of US firms operating abroad. These are things that you should perhaps simply get used to.

Quote:
even air america (hardly a conservative organization) nails obama as a "charming liar".
I'm sure you are a regular Air America listener and not just some <sanrene> wannabe, but the Air America piece is just as worthless as your post -- a wishful ideological rant with no actual connection to reality.

Quote:
i urge all americans not to deposit their money in this bank, BBVA COMPASS!
Why would that be? Any actual reasons or just more rant...

Old 08-22-2009, 09:09 AM

FDIC was probably waiting for that bid to come in. Guaranty started warning they were in trouble last month and were very public about it. The FDIC doesn't have the money to take it over themselves.

BBVA Said to Win FDIC Bidding for Guaranty Financial (Update2) - Bloomberg.com

Old 08-22-2009, 09:17 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,291,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Looks like Guaranty Bank wanted to play with the big boys out in California with too many loans that went sour. They should have stayed local and they just might be still open today under their own name.

Guaranty's problems have been in our local papers for weeks - they have been trying to find "investors" but no such luck. I thought the FDIC would have siezed them last week but Colonial was another big one; guess the FDIC is spreading them out.

No, not surprised at all, over the last year, a number of regional banks have been bought out. My personal Bank Sovereign was bought out by a Spanish bank, earlier this year, and I had no idea, until i called to make a change to one of my accounts. I actually keep an ear to most financial news, but somehow missed this, so I'd assume, there are a number of other regional banks, that are also being bought.

I guess they'll be owned by the foreign entity, but will operate, as a US subsidiary of the foreign entity and operate under US Banking Laws. Direct Foreign Investment in the US is nothing new and frankly at this point in time, we need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies