Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 04:45 AM

183 posts, read 114,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
In the early history of the US, welfare was similar to the old saying "healthy,wealthy, and wise", the opposite of today. There were no welfare laws. The were called poor laws back in the day.

founder Ben Franklin
"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I traveled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer."
I love Ben Franklin. He was brilliant. I guess that's why the UC Berkley students thought he was such a great president.

YouTube - StevenCrowder's Channel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 05:08 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
In the early history of the US, welfare was similar to the old saying "healthy,wealthy, and wise", the opposite of today. There were no welfare laws. The were called poor laws back in the day.

founder Ben Franklin
"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I traveled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer."
I've always admired Ben Franklin and, from my experience, this statement is correct. Most people do not appreciate things that they do not have to work for which is why public housing is often trashed by its own residents.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:55 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,935,741 times
So anyone against welfare for anyone who wants it regardless of their ability to work supports locking the sick and poor into a barn and burning them?

Old 10-02-2009, 09:05 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,633,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
So anyone against welfare for anyone who wants it regardless of their ability to work supports locking the sick and poor into a barn and burning them?

No it's just when the government starts promising too much, sooner or later they have to regin in the entitlements. That's where we are today too much money going out and not enough coming inflow, to meet the out flow's. History does repeat itself, if the government could get rid of the baby boomers then the inflow's would increase.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:32 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,496,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverOne View Post
It is said history repeats itself, and this really happened. In 1459 ad--- the oldest, disabled make up the greatest part of our population.
History repeating itself - I couldn't agree with you more fervently:

Old 10-03-2009, 09:46 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
Another fairytale, yet...

Not a fairy tale. The "Dracula" he is referring to is "Vlad the Impaler", or Vlad Tepisch, the Prince of Wallachia in the mid 1400s. Vlad impaled Ottoman Turk prisoners of war, and ate his meal in a "forest" of impaled men while they writhed on the stake, thus gaining his nickname. He not only slaughtered the poor, but killed many of the boyers when they appeared to be gaining too much power in the northern provinces. Truely a bad guy.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:56 AM

487 posts, read 636,172 times
Welfare only exacerbates the problem. It serves as an incentive for the uneducated and irresponsible to have more children creating a new generation of the underclass; people with a high inclination to commit crimes.. oh and receive welfare too of course.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:40 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
Welfare only exacerbates the problem. It serves as an incentive for the uneducated and irresponsible to have more children creating a new generation of the underclass; people with a high inclination to commit crimes.. oh and receive welfare too of course.
Simply not supported by the literature.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:06 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,786,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverOne View Post
(9) The Burning of the Sick and Poor

Dracula was very concerned that all his subjects work and contribute to the common welfare. He once noticed that the poor, vagrants, beggars and cripples had become very numerous in his land. Consequently, he issued an invitation to all the poor and sick in Wallachia to come to Tirgoviste for a great feast, claiming that no one should go hungry in his land. As the poor and crippled arrived in the city they were ushered into a great hall where a fabulous feast was prepared fore them. The prince's guests ate and drank late into the night, when Dracula himself made an appearance. "What else do you desire? Do you want to be without cares, lacking nothing in this world?", asked the prince. When they responded positively Dracula ordered the hall boarded up and set on fire. None escaped the flames. Dracula explained his action to the boyars by claiming that he did this, "in order that they represent no further burden to other men so that no one will be poor in my realm."

The Historical Dracula - An Essay by Ray Porter (c)1992

Vilad the impaler made sure of everyone working.
Did he do anything with retired people on Social Security?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies