Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 05:21 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
No.

But people who create ridiculous straw men are really annoying.
L. Frank Baum created a ridiculous straw man. He also created a tin woodman, a cowardly lion, a dog named 'Toto', and a girl named 'Dorothy'. I didn't find him annoying at all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 05:24 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,915,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
L. Frank Baum created a ridiculous straw man. He also created a tin woodman, a cowardly lion, a dog named 'Toto', and a girl named 'Dorothy'. I didn't find him annoying at all...
I find his cowardly lion extremely annoying but I have no opinion about Baum.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:29 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,830,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
It sure seems like anyone who disagrees with the Demacratic party these days is one of the following.
1. Neocon
2. racist
3. Nazi ( Pelosi said it)
4. Unamerican ( Pelosi and Ried both have said it)

number 3,4 have been used by both parties and both ideologies(liberal and conservative) i know the difference

Old 08-24-2009, 06:38 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,598,716 times
yes

Old 08-24-2009, 06:58 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,217,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Which thing did she not say?
She did say if we oppose UHC it is unamerican.
She also said that if we support enforcing our immigration laws it is unamerican
White House Disputes Pelosi Contention that Town Hall Protests are "Un-American" - Political Punch
White House Diasgrees With Pelosi “Un-American” Comment
Newsmax.com - Media Ignore Pelosi Nazi Comparison (http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/pelosi_limbaush_swastikas/2009/08/07/245316.html - broken link)
Does this jog your memory?
No - but your ability to spin is reminiscent of the Tasmanian Devil from those old Daffy the Duck cartoons.

She said certain thing that were done were Unamerican. And she's right. Calling for Obama's death. Praying for America to fail. Lying about people wanting to kill grandma. Shouting down townhall meetings in order to prevent citizens from getting information.

The people doing those things - the "Townhall Taliban" - are completely UnAmerican.

But she did not say that people who disagree with Obama are unAmerican - so that was an out-and-out lie.

And she denounced the display of Nazi symbolism. And she was right about that, even though a large number of really stupid wingnuts went bonkers over it.

But she did not say that people who disagree with Obama are Nazis - so that was another out-and-out lie.

As I said. It's not nice to lie.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:17 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,930 times
Is anyone that disagrees with a liberal a racist?

Yup .. at least according to the Liberal. ..

Old 08-24-2009, 07:23 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
He's splitting hairs. Having a Swastika is not considered being Nazi in some people's sandboxes.
All the same the context is what makes the point. Pelosi has a history of labeling people who oppose her. As speaker of the house or ranking democrat it can be argued that she speaks for the party.
The irony is that both sides do it and bothsides cry a river about it. The smart thing would be to stop with the name calling all together.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:38 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,934 times
Quote:
No - but your ability to spin is reminiscent of the Tasmanian Devil from those old Daffy the Duck cartoons.

She said certain thing that were done were Unamerican. And she's right. Calling for Obama's death. Praying for America to fail. Lying about people wanting to kill grandma. Shouting down townhall meetings in order to prevent citizens from getting information.

The people doing those things - the "Townhall Taliban" - are completely UnAmerican.

But she did not say that people who disagree with Obama are unAmerican - so that was an out-and-out lie.

And she denounced the display of Nazi symbolism. And she was right about that, even though a large number of really stupid wingnuts went bonkers over it.

But she did not say that people who disagree with Obama are Nazis - so that was another out-and-out lie.

Link?

Old 08-24-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
number 3,4 have been used by both parties and both ideologies(liberal and conservative) i know the difference
Absolutely agree and I am against it.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:

Never said that. Now who is lieing? I never said anything about disagreeing with obama in reference to Pelosi's name calling.
I said that she has used those terms to describe people who disagree with her. The links I provided support my statement as fact.
Those who protest at town halls have that right even when we don't agree with them. I can think of few things more American than protesting.
Do I agree with name calling and shouting out rude comments at our elected reps? No, show me a post where I agreed with it.
She has called people who want our immigration laws enforced unamerican. For the life of me I don't get that one. As many of you stated and I agree we are a nation of laws...
So please tell me how I put a spin on Pelosi's words?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies