Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2009, 07:02 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,412,093 times

Advertisements

Time was we were all naked all the time. Was awhile back sure but since we are obviously here people still got interested in sex.

This is much fuss about nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 07:10 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,280,130 times
that's my kind of protest! but only if a bunch of hot people do it. lol

I think it does take the issue of equality too far. I am not suprised to see women in some of the world's highest positions of power, women are expected to strive for sucessful careers just as much as men in this day and age, but I think they have differences from men and those do need to be recognized when appropriate. I'm all for social progression, but there is such a thing as going over-board. I think this is an example of that.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:10 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,425,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Time was we were all naked all the time. Was awhile back sure but since we are obviously here people still got interested in sex.

This is much fuss about nothing.
When was that?

Old 08-26-2009, 07:23 PM

218 posts, read 799,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Well the latter version WASN'T in my head until you graphically described it - thank you very much!

We can split hairs all day, regarding topless and/or naked. Honestly, how far from naked is it if a woman is laying out with nothing on but one of those tiny little postage stamp-sized thongs on her lower half?

Either way, I really don't think it'd be a good idea for a woman to be sunbathing, topless, right across the street from any school. I just don't. It's not that I'm a prude, or that I hate women's breasts, or any such thing. It's just that I'd "draw my line" a little farther back than, apparently, you would.
I would say she is just as naked as the guy next to her who is wearing a bottom that covers the same. Itsy bitsy bikini bottoms aren't just made for females!

You still haven't said if seeing a male who is a scantily clad would bother you...

Quote:
But there's a time and place for everything. And there are times and places where people should probably just keep their clothes on.
I agree 100%! I just feel that the times and places where people should keep their clothes on should apply to both men and women rather than women alone.

Quote:
Could be.

But the fact is, you're not going to change the basic biological makeup of men. And my question is this: Do you really want your breasts ogled and stared at? Do you really want guys, who cannot control themselves any better than that, to be fantasizing about fondling YOUR breasts?

Is being able to go topless in public worth that? I don't know. Perhaps, for you, it is. But I know that neither my wife nor daughter care to have their breasts ogled and stared at.
Guys stare and fantasize about fondling with my breasts covered. Why should the limits of what I do as a female be centered how a man thinks and responds to it?

Being able to go topless in public isn't just about comfort (though there is that). It's an issue of men legally being permitted to do something that women are not in the same places and under the same circumstances.

Quote:
That's an excellent point.

Are the women who want to go topless, because breasts are not sexual, willing to say that if somebody touches their breasts it's not sexual harassment or sexual assault?

After all, fair is fair.
Fair is fair, however you seem to think that touching a person in a sexual way should be appropriate simply because it's bare while I feel it isn't appropriate period (for men or women).

A male co-worker who rubs my back and shoulders (which are covered) is harassing while guy who reaches in front of me and brushes across my breast is not. It's not about where he touches but about the type and intent of the touch.

And yes, I believe men should be free of the same kind of harrassment.

Quote:
Here's part of your problem: Even with your "it should be legal" argument, there are countless cases of, "except for..." And that is willfully discriminatory.

It should be legal for women to go topless, but not in the work place? Well... Why not? Why do you decide to draw the line there - denying a woman the right to go to work topless?

It should be legal for a woman to go topless, but not if she's a teacher at a school. Why not? Isn't that discrimination? After all, those stupid boys need to get over their fixation with boobs - and the sooner the better!

And why shouldn't men be allowed to wear jeans that leave our butt-cheeks hanging out - regardless of what profession we're in? Hairy, pock-covered bouncing butt cheeks every time a male teacher turns around to write something on the chalk board. I see nothing wrong with that!

And really, when you think about it, why shouldn't men be able to walk around with our penises hanging out? Give the little guy some air! He wants to breathe! We need to stop viewing everything sexual as something dirty! And, after all, the penis is nothing more than just another body part - kind of like a finger or a nose.

So let's all get over these prudish, silly ideas about breasts and penises and all other body parts.

And while we're at it, I think men & women should all use the same public bathroom - and those bathrooms should not have any stalls, because who knows what somebody might be doing behind closed doors? They might be hiding a gun. Or they might be having sex. Besides, there's nothing wrong with watching somebody take a dump.
Public nudity and topless are not one and the same. Do men in your area regularly mow the lawn without pants on a hot summer day? It doesn't happen hear but perhaps Omaha is a bit more rockin' than we are

We are not advocating for a change in rules regarding public decency as it pertains to everyone, we are advocating for a change in laws that make it the same for women as it is for me. I would like equal pay for equal work too, that doesn't mean I want men to be paid less just that I would like to be paid the same as a male co-worker with the same education and abilities for doing the same job.

Quote:
If I were to grab a man's "boob" would I get into as much trouble legally as if I grabbed a woman's boob? Regardless of whether both boobs are covered or uncovered...

Why or why not?

Now... Tell me that's not discrimination, sexism and a double standard?
I'm not a lawyer so I can't honestly speak to what kind of legal trouble you would be faced with. However, I think the same should apply if you were to grab the man's breast and the woman's breast in the same way and in the same circumstance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Is there anything wrong with taking a moderation path and just saying we all dress appropriately? No studs waltzing around without a top, and no croquettes waltzing around without a top? Is that really such a horrible dark-age mentality? Who the HELL want to see people walking around topless everywhere anyway? God, I'd say anyone with that mentality has some serious issues that should be attended to by a mental health professional!
By all means, start up a campaign for men to keep their shirts on! I suspect people will think it's crazy and call you a prude because a man without a shirt on is no big deal. There was a time of course, when it was a big deal and men weren't to go without shirts as well but obviously society has adjusted to that change just fine.

Again, the idea isn't for women to be able to walk around topless everywhere, only in the same places and situations that are acceptable for men.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:30 PM

25,705 posts, read 18,781,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pers View Post
There was a time of course, when it was a big deal and men weren't to go without shirts as well but obviously society has adjusted to that change
Yes, unfortunately. Goes to show that all change is not good change.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:58 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,412,077 times
Quote:
So is the idea that 2 + 2 = 4 . Anything wrong with that medieval mentality? Besides, there is a hell of a big difference between a man or woman walking around topless like an orangutan and someone being clothed from head to toe. This mentality is the same binary thinking that folks use on everything now days. Is there anything wrong with taking a moderation path and just saying we all dress appropriately? No studs waltzing around without a top, and no croquettes waltzing around without a top? Is that really such a horrible dark-age mentality? Who the HELL want to see people walking around topless everywhere anyway? God, I'd say anyone with that mentality has some serious issues that should be attended to by a mental health professional!
1. Never been to a clothing optional event, camp ground, or beach I take it. Pretty soon you don't notice "boobs".

2. Like comparing apples to automobiles much? What does arithmetic have to do with giving women the choice of walking around in the park topless just like men do?

3. Hanging on to old, outdated mentalities because of cultrually infused sexual hangups are nothing to support.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:05 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,050,992 times
Quote:
You're fighting against nature. The males of the human species are visually stimulated. The female body is a beautiful thing. That's just the way it is.

Yes, there are lots and lots of idiotic, juvenile males - just like there are lots and lots of idiotic, juvenile females.

The boys that are ogling the bare breasts of a girl who wants to go topless, are no more stupid than the girl who is making a visual presentation of herself.

So once again, people are free to do what they want. Just don't complain about consequences you hadn't planned on.

I find it amazing that women just dont get it ; heres how it works :
If you start flashing your breasts , expect :
1 . Men to think you are easy to get into bed and some will go as far as stalking you .
2. If you show a lack of dignity toward yourself, expect Men to multiply that feeling toward you .
3. Expect to eventually get groped or possibly sexually abused when youre alone in a vulnerable environment.
4. If you say 'no' to mens sexual advances because you exposed yourself, expect to be labeled a Tease to which some men will get violent with you if you tick them off enough.
5. Feminism has done nothing good for self respecting women..and has made men exploit them more, and, to view them in a degrading manner. Many songs today explicitly state that without question.

My advice ? Stop following an out of control sex saturated society because its NOT going to end up giving you freedom . Only harm.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:22 PM

25,705 posts, read 18,781,503 times
Well I'll tell you what: you guys just strip down and do your thing. It doesn't appeal to me at all--especially when I want to hold my food down. The solution is, you guys move to the gulf states, the rest of us move to the northern border area (say International Falls MN) where such spectacles would result in amputation, and we'll all be just fine...

Old 08-26-2009, 08:27 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,680,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
I find it amazing that women just dont get it ; heres how it works :
If you start flashing your breasts , expect :
1 . Men to think you are easy to get into bed and some will go as far as stalking you .
2. If you show a lack of dignity toward yourself, expect Men to multiply that feeling toward you .
3. Expect to eventually get groped or possibly sexually abused when youre alone in a vulnerable environment.
4. If you say 'no' to mens sexual advances because you exposed yourself, expect to be labeled a Tease to which some men will get violent with you if you tick them off enough.
5. Feminism has done nothing good for self respecting women..and has made men exploit them more, and, to view them in a degrading manner. Many songs today explicitly state that without question.

My advice ? Stop following an out of control sex saturated society because its NOT going to end up giving you freedom . Only harm.
Sorry you're not able to control yourself, but most human beings can. Again, your opinion is the same as someone who blames the raped woman for the rapist's attack. In other words, bullcrap.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:28 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,668,485 times
Quote:
Well I'll tell you what: you guys just strip down and do your thing. It doesn't appeal to me at all--especially when I want to hold my food down. The solution is, you guys move to the gulf states, the rest of us move to the northern border area (say International Falls MN) where such spectacles would result in amputation, and we'll all be just fine...
Lars & Lena both know the painful dangers of frostbite!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies