Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 06:51 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,281,026 times

Advertisements

I'm getting tired of a few things, first off, people defending Fox News.

While on occassion the network manages to throw in a balanced story, rarely is that the case, especially when Hannity, Beck or O Rielly spout off nonsense. Not to mention the fact that Beck is clearly insane. Calling a president with a predominately white staff, who has never said word one agaisnt white people, "racist" is pure evil. Clear attempt to generate hatred in a time when our world could do with a lot less of it.

secondly, MSNBC. Both Maddow and Olberman are clearly democrats. yet... Olberman repeatedly acts as though he is somehow above the likes of O'Rielly even though they both pander to their respective sides of the aisle like children. Maddow meanwhile, veers dangerously close to being as bad as Olberman. She very clearly is a heavy democrat, yet neither Olberman or Maddow advertise their political leanings on the show, lending the belief that they are somehow always giving the whole story without any editorial changes to make their arguement seem more convincing... nice try.

Clearly both networks would do right by the citizens of this country to come flat out and admit it. they are biased. they will rally for one side and ignore facts if they get in the way, or at least twist them around until they are unrecognizable. SO why keep acting like Beck is a legitimate source for information, or that Olberman is somehow above the coduct of Fox news? Neither network is innocent, so how bout from now on, we as a forum agree not to quote either organization in our debate posts. There are plenty of actually reliable locations to gather such information.

What'd ya say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 06:57 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
But FOX just won an appeal of Judgement against them for lying to the public.
The basis for their defense was that FOX NEWS is NOT NEWS. This is Fox's Attorney saying that
Fox News is entertainment programming with no duty to the truth.

How can anyone give any credibility to a station that brags that it is lying

Old 08-26-2009, 06:59 PM

25,747 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Agreed for the most part. That's why I don't even bother with network news anymore. None of it is news--it's rhetoric.

The one thing I've heard Beck soapbox about before that I actually agree with is when he gets going on preparedness. If something 'bad' happens, most of us don't have enough food, or worse yet, water for more than a few days. I'm in the same boat, and it scares the hell out of me at times.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
The basis for their defense was that FOX NEWS is NOT NEWS. This is Fox's Attorney saying that

you don't have to give them credibility, I'm saying that they have none. In the spirit of bipartisanship, if you believe in MSNBC, agree not to reference them as factual either. If we can get past the pundits we can have more educated debates rather than childish shouting matches...

Old 08-26-2009, 07:06 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,416,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post

NBC wasn't lieing when they decided to ignore the presence of an armed black man in AZ & rant about armed white folks at an Obama town meeting or whatever they call it?

All mainstream media is decidedly biased in one direction or the other in what they air & print.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:12 PM

yes they both are biased! that's my point. so lets move past that and be better than these "news" companies. site a local paper, or the AP or some other unbiased source next time you want to post about an issue, or back up a claim.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:22 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,788,485 times
There is no such thing as an unbiased source. Bias is natural to human thought, and there's no escape. Just realize where information about issues comes from and form your opinion accordingly.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:23 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
NBC wasn't lieing when they decided to ignore the presence of an armed black man in AZ & rant about armed white folks at an Obama town meeting or whatever they call it?

All mainstream media is decidedly biased in one direction or the other in what they air & print.
You,ve hit on a point there, the difference between broadcast and cable. NBC plays this one like a master. NBC being broadcast over the air and subject to the FCC is much more moderate than MSNBC which is cable and not subject to the FCC. Fox does the same thing but not nearly as well as NBC.

As for the demonstrator in Phoenix I saw him covered on MSNBC

But for FOX to go into court and win an appeal because it has a 1st Amendment Right to deliberately Lie to the Public is the height of arrogance, similar to Pringles winning their case in England that their chips could not be taxed as food because they contain no food.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
There is no such thing as an unbiased source. Bias is natural to human thought, and there's no escape. Just realize where information about issues comes from and form your opinion accordingly.
while that is generally true, there are certainly sources with a lesser bias than others. It appears that these two sources are the most commonly posted and hated media groups, so I thought we'd move on to sources that are closer to being unbiased. I'd tend to trust the Associated Press before Fox or even CNN.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:03 AM

355 posts, read 912,000 times
I watch both cable new channels consitently, i am liberal so obviously i agree with more msnbc but let me say one thing.

I used to like oberman until every single day he attacked someone. He is just as bad as hannity.

Hannity and beck i detest, they tells lies absolute lies and they are about as hipocritical as they come. John stewart just did a parody of fox news about how they are liberals because everything they are championing now, free speech protests ect ect 2-7 years ago they called the same people un american. Thats what gets me, being negative with no facts and simply making things up really gets me.

O'riley and maddow and shultz i can tolerate but sometimes even they go off.

I do like chris matthews, he's the only one who i genuinly like my favorit show bc he'll ask anyone anything straight up.

Again this is coming from a true blue 23 y/o liberal who fells we need national healthcare, strong gun control, i am more a capitolist than most, i believe gay people should be able to marrry and i belive fully in stem cell research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies