Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 02:09 PM

67 posts, read 97,406 times

Advertisements

Why the lol in the title of the post. It's not very funny to me that a man was executed for a crime he didn't commit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 02:14 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,145,685 times
"They are definitely going to have to respond to it," said Pat Cox [, a cousin of the man executed]. "But it's difficult for me to believe that the State of Texas or the governor will take responsibility and admit they did in fact wrongfully execute Todd. They'll dance around it."

"... it could lead to the first-ever declaration by an official state body that an inmate was wrongly executed."

I think so too. Interesting to see how this works out.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:26 PM

Cameron Todd Willingham, Texas, and the death penalty : The New Yorker

Old 09-06-2009, 06:53 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,036,965 times
An absolutely compelling story. I read it a while back but when I looked to post it I couldn't find the thread. So, glad that you did.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
An absolutely compelling story. I read it a while back but when I looked to post it I couldn't find the thread. So, glad that you did.
I found it by Main Politics page > Search this Forum > Willingham.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:31 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,710 times
I have mixed feelings on capital punishment, but I'll play devil's advocate here.

All sentences and punishments carry the risk of innocent people being wrongfully punished, be it a small parking fine to execution. You don't think that innocent people haven't died of old age behind prison bars? You don't think that innocent people been murdered by other less innocent inmates behind bars? You don't think that innocent people haven't been raped or beaten on a regular basis while behind bars by other inmates (and let's be honest here) or occasionally staff? You don't think that innocent people have had their lives ruined and threatened because of their criminal record, even when they have been cleared of all wrong-doing?

Why is capital punishment the only punishment that is specifically singled out in this regard? Executing an innocent man is a terrible injustice, but it is only marginally worse than all the innocent people who don't have access to lawyers and civil liberties groups who go out of their way to find an innocent person on death row. They might die behind bars of either old age or by the hands of another inmate or commit suicide and they will forever be marked as murderer despite the fact that they were innocent.

I am willing to bet that more innocent people die behind bars from natural causes and suicide (and probably murder) than are executed by the government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
This is also what I love the "innocent bystander". If you know that your neighborhood is dangerous minimize your time outside. If you know your friends are drug dealers/gang members, even fringe members you are no longer an innocent bystander. You desreve everything that comes to you. These apologists for criminals are vomit worthy.
So in your in your opinion, someone who is friends with someone who is at the very fringes of the criminal world is grounds for what would legally be wrongful execution?

You are an idiot. Not only does it mean that someone who did not commit the crime is paying the consequences, but it also means someone who is guilty is not.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:20 AM

639 posts, read 1,142,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
What do you mean by confirmed?

There's a thread on Rangel, nothing is "confirmed" but people apparently don't mind talking their heads off in there. People have been babbling in multiple threads about an incident in Chappaquiddick from over 40 years ago where nothing was "confirmed".

No, I think this is actually a pretty good article to start a dialog on, sorry, and if no one cares this forum is full of some serious amoral bastards, so I would disagree with the first part of your post.
I guess everyone talked about Chappaquiddik because there was never a proper, thorough investigation into what the fat blowhard actually did on the night in question that caused a young woman to die.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:10 AM

This isnt related to the Willingham case and the first one is from 2000, but

DNA Testing: The Next Big Crime-Busting Breakthrough by Howard Safir, Peter Reinharz, City Journal Winter 2000

HowStuffWorks "Use of DNA Profiles in Law Enforcement"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies