Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 07:14 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,485,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
that war machine was run by the whole country not just those doing the bombing. just as our country had to back the effort. remember Rosie the riviter or grandmas victory garden. i do the bombers did not build thier bombs on the ride over to Pearl.starting to compute?
Doesn't matter. A noncombatant is not a legitimate target, any self-serving casuistry to the contrary aside. There is a reason we call such activity "terrorism." And it's not "terrorism" when done by one side and "self-defense" when done by the other: it's terrorism, always, period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 07:14 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
OK, I don't settle armed disputes in crackhouses, is that better?

Not surprising that you DON'T understand correctly. It's a perennial mental habit of people with underdeveloped brains to conclude that if someone dislikes Coke, they must be a Pepsi drinker.
Oh, I do understand. And you are welcome to submit other options - if you have any - that we could have pursued in response.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Oh, I do understand. And you are welcome to submit other options - if you have any - that we could have pursued in response.
Licked our wounds and learned to keep our noses out of other countries' squabbles.

Not occupying Hawaii and the Phillipines in the first place would've been even better.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Doesn't matter. A noncombatant is not a legitimate target, any self-serving casuistry to the contrary aside. There is a reason we call such activity "terrorism." And it's not "terrorism" when done by one side and "self-defense" when done by the other: it's terrorism, always, period.
A non-combatant is a legitimate target if he is providing support for the combatants. Examples include factory workers building tanks, scientist developing weapons, harbor workers maintaining warships, and contractors constructing a radar installation.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
A non-combatant is a legitimate target if he is providing support for the combatants. Examples include factory workers building tanks, scientist developing weapons, harbor workers maintaining warships, and contractors constructing a radar installation.
Flattening a city because a few of the noncombatants in it are supporting military activity is, to put it mildly, disproportionate. I trust that you would agree if you were one of the folks being flattened, rather than on the other side.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:21 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,791,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
who cares i only remember dec 7th Pearl Harbor. they asked for it
Yes, we had to deal with Japan, but I don't know why we fought Germany. Yes, I know they declared war on us, but until they physically attacked us, we should have left the European theatre alone, and that includes giving/selling materials to England.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Licked our wounds and learned to keep our noses out of other countries' squabbles.

Not occupying Hawaii and the Phillipines in the first place would've been even better.
That would be 'acceptable', I suppose, if Hawai'i or the Phillipine revolted against our presence or attacked us, but what does Japan have to do with it?

Old 08-28-2009, 07:22 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
Yes, we had to deal with Japan, but I don't know why we fought Germany. Yes, I know they declared war on us, but until they physically attacked us, we should have left the European theatre alone, and that includes giving/selling materials to England.
In other words the Nazis were OK with you

Old 08-28-2009, 07:23 PM

51 posts, read 106,601 times
WWII was a horrid war. Over 400K Americans were killed. But since you think we didn't handle the advantage appropriately, maybe we should of just flew over their country and dropped beer on them. You know, a gester of goodwill.

The would have drug on for a long time if we had not made that choice.

Picking one event and looking at it as evil because of your self hatred and guilt for having the freedoms you do is appalling. This war was responsible for 65-70 million deaths. Do you want to poke fun at any other instances where those deaths occurred.

We told them we had the bomb. They refused to surrender and vowed to fight to their death. If we would of invaded we would have lost many more men. Not to mention the fact that the government there was training the civilians how to fight and kill US soldiers. No doubt, leading to many civilian deaths. It is not like we negotiated a surrender and waited for them to show up and then bombed them. We told them it was coming.

Face it, your a self hating Monday morning quarterback that can't begin to comprehend the world as it was then. Bad, bad, America........

We didn't do everything right, boohoo. You disgrace the people who died fighting against those terrible regimes by just getting up in the morning.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:25 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,033,284 times
Quote:
ok keep posting you will never as you put it compute anything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies