Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2007, 09:39 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

NEW YORK - You've heard of e-mail spam - now a New York City councilman wants to do something about menu spam, the unwanted menus and circulars that have a way of appearing on city doorsteps and under doors.

Simcha Felder has introduced legislation that would make it illegal to distribute menus, circulars and fliers to homes and apartment buildings that display a sign indicating promotional materials are unwanted.

Felder's bill calls for a fine of at least $50 for distributors that leave them anyway.

"This drives people out of their minds," said Felder, a Democrat who represents sections of Brooklyn. "You have no control over it. People are livid. If I'm responsible for the cleanliness of my property I should also have the authority to decide whether I receive the junk or not. You shouldn't have to be responsible for cleaning up someone else's garbage."

http://home.peoplepc.com/psp/newssto...0429-144396121
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 01:50 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
I hope the bill passes and I wish I could get the PO to stop delivering unwanted literature as well--apparently there is some way to opt out, but I haven't figured it out.

When I lived in NYC, I had more circulars, menus and junk on my door-step than a poodle has hair!

Old 04-30-2007, 03:35 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I hope the bill passes and I wish I could get the PO to stop delivering unwanted literature as well--apparently there is some way to opt out, but I haven't figured it out.

When I lived in NYC, I had more circulars, menus and junk on my door-step than a poodle has hair!

There is a number you can call, It's something like 1-800-optout, you may be able to find it doing a google of yahoo search..

Old 04-30-2007, 06:25 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
Thanks, I'll try to find it....much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
There is a number you can call, It's something like 1-800-optout, you may be able to find it doing a google of yahoo search..

Old 04-30-2007, 06:30 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,137,563 times
I live in an apartment complex with 284 apartments. Management doesn't recycle, so every week I take it upon myself to haul about 200 pounds of junk mail to the recycling center. My car's trunk runneth over.

No one should received unsolicited mail, e-mail, or phone calls. I know that will put a lot of telemarketers out of work, but it will save lots of trees from ending up in dumpsters, and bring peace of mind to millions. I'm all for this legislation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies