Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 01:35 PM

786 posts, read 4,732,014 times

Advertisements

It seemed like yesterday that Walter Cronkite, was announcing America now had 200 Million People. Now we are at 300 Million and 400 Million will be in our lifetimes. It is just plain scary but no one in the media or in Congress is talking about limiting population growth in America. To me, it seems like the biggest issue we face in our country. Places like Las Vegas and Atlanta with rapidly growing populations and rapid loss of open space, trees, and water, are promoted in the media as boom towns. The negative sides of this growth is not discussed.

The Comprehensive Immigration Reform bill will give America rapid population growth but no one is talking about that aspect.

By the end of this century most of America will be people who came from a Third World Country and will be looking at populations similar to China and India today, is this something our Grandchildren will enjoy? There will likely be huge social strife and water shortages and environmental damages. I would expect the huge population boom will some day cause a one child policy in America, much like China today.

What do you think about the rapid population increases in America?

Last edited by Dingler; 04-29-2007 at 01:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 01:57 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,257,870 times
It is a concern. But as far as a limit on children. . . I think we are far far from that. I don't think any politician would touch that issue with a ten foot pole. It would be political suicide.
Securing our borders and dealing with the illegal immigration problem is a starting point.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:55 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,137,897 times
Most of the growth of towns like Atlanta and Vegas is domestic migration. That is Americans moving to these cities from other American cities. The growth rate is not sound and is at the expense of the many more Buffalo's out there who have infrastructure and are losing people to these cities.

International migration is not what is was a century ago, but Americans are having less children.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:06 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,626,781 times
The environmental damage of rapid growth is a major concern as to how it impacts water supplies. But the global warming alarmists would rather spend all our time, money, and effort, trying to eliminate CO2 which is a natural and organic gas that does not affect the water.

As far as immigration, I don't think either political party is willing to address that issue. I think eventually we will have an open border both ways between the US/Mexico as well as US/Canada. We will end up replacing the dollar with the Amero (google it) and a North American Union will replace the sovereignty of the United States. The rate things are going with our current Dem/Rep system, I really don't know if it will be better or worse. Should be interesting to see how it all plays out.

The military is already comissioning studies of resources (food, water, energy) to see how global warming and climate migration may impact our needs to protect our resources. My guess is that this is nothing more than a smoke screen for the government to figure out how to militarize our resources if massive issues arise as the population explodes (numerically, not physically, lol).

Old 04-29-2007, 05:42 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,136,829 times
I wouldn't say that we are addicted to population growth at all. Municipalities want more people because it means more tax dollars. The addiction is money. Of course, more people are the result of more sex and we all know sex is another addiction.

I was surprised at first, then it made sense to me that in Southern California, the population is booming NOT from American citizens, but rather from foreign immigrants. The American-born populations of LA and SD are LEAVING the area in droves. The population increase is from (mostly illegal) aliens.

In a larger perspective, the only way to maintain this population growth is going to mean sacrifices for many. I believe the Earth can sustain this population level, but it will mean more care for the planet. We'll probably have to forgo the consumption of meat products as the amount of vegetation and energy expended to feed animals we eat actually surpasses the amount of vegetation that humans eat. We could sustain a lot more humans by using our resources more wisely. I don't have a degree in Natural Resources, so I'll abide by any expert in that field.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:19 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,819,457 times
Hey , look if this suppossed global warming ever really kicks in there will be alot more habitable space for people and crops in the northern territory.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:36 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,136,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Hey , look if this suppossed global warming ever really kicks in there will be alot more habitable space for people and crops in the northern territory.
You can't grow crops underwater, unless we all change our diets to seaweed.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:36 AM

1,247 posts, read 925,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
You can't grow crops underwater, unless we all change our diets to seaweed.
Are you saying the entire Earth will be flooded?

Old 04-30-2007, 11:18 AM

423 posts, read 1,930,631 times
once the baby boomer generation dies off the population will start to remain constant/decline

Old 04-30-2007, 11:35 AM

362 posts, read 589,231 times
the people dont want them -but bush etc does
media?they suck-turn them off

try

http://www.gcnlive.com/listenlive.htm (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies