Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 01:24 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,504,786 times

Advertisements

reacting to someone getting in your face 24/7 with their stuff is not obsessing.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:25 PM

32 posts, read 44,384 times
We may not call for death but we as a society treat gays as second class citizens. We turn out in huge numbers to make sure they are denied equal protection under the law and cannot take advantage of the same marriage benefits that straight people can. In some states, we voted to make gay adoption illegal. Often times, the first thing we think of when we think of gays are the "detestable" sex acts.

We don't consider that, just like in a straight relationship, sex is not the biggest portion of the relationship. Many people think gay life is all about sex, and that couldn't be further from the truth.

Gays may not be killed, but they sure as hell do not have advantages of living the "pursuit of happiness."

Old 08-31-2009, 01:27 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,436,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
So you're condoning those cases.
Isn't one too many?
Moderator cut: NO personal attacks Did you read the part saying "those people should be put to death for it?"

Yeah, one is too many. But one murder is too many. Period. I see no difference between a person being murdered because they're gay and a person being murdered because they had a nice watch that someone wanted.

One DEATH is too many.

But I'm also a realist and understand that crime will always exist and that gay people have a pretty damn good life here in this country.

Last edited by katzenfreund; 08-31-2009 at 02:34 PM..

Old 08-31-2009, 01:27 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,353,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sans ersatz modelisto View Post
I find it so telling the seeming OBSESSION America seems to have with all things gay. You go to western Europe, or south Africa, and parts of Central America where homosexuality is not a big deal, and gays are awarded equal privileges, and people just can't understand what all the fuss is about.

Why is America so obsessed with homosexuality when we have a huge national deficit, incompetant health care system, skyrocketing gas prices and a dependence on foreign oil, and global warming issues, and the highest unemployment rates in years?

To me it seems like the focus is just a bit, off. I think the self righteous ones need to get off their high horses and let people be free to be themselves. Seriously, you always hear how gays try to "push their lifestyles" down others throats, but you see more people trying to deny these people rights than you do the other way around.

What gives?
The US is a society that is still very primitive in many ways. In the world of Gay Rights, the machismo of the Old West still prevails. Homophobia is unbelievable here, it shocks me sometimes how someone who is seemingly tolerant and socially liberal can have such backwards views about homosexuals.

I went to Cuba with an American baseball team (I was one of the 4 starting pitchers for the team) and we went to bars at night. In the bars, there was no distinction between gay and straight, both preferences were respectfully present and not in any way intolerant of one another. I saw two dudes kissing at the bar right next to a couple of gorgeous (women in Cuba are STUNNING, I've been to over 35 countries, the women in Cuba put them all to shame) single Cuban ladies and nobody made a big deal about it...except for my teammates. They were pointing, going "that's f-ing nasty" and some were even getting angry that "fahgs were being let into bars".

Honestly, the "gay agenda" is only about equal treatment and rights. Gay marriage would cease to be a subject of debate if homophobes just got over it and allowed gays to have the same rights as them. Proposition 8 is literally instutionalized bigotry and it sickens me that even a single person would actually support such a hateful government measure.

I understand why there are two sides to most every debate (aside from the Embargo and legalization of Marijuana, to me those are both obvious), but this one baffles me. I guess human compassion is limited, because I empathize with the gays and understand their plight, but many people seem unable to do so. Put yourself in their shoes, imagine being ridiculed in school, hiding your feelings from everyone, including family, and then live in a country where millions of the people think you deserve to die for simply being born attracted to the same sex.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:28 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,154,069 times
"Why is America so obsessed with homosexuality when we have a huge national deficit, incompetant health care system, skyrocketing gas prices and a dependence on foreign oil, and global warming issues, and the highest unemployment rates in years?"

Actually, I think its just the opposite. In light of the circumstances you mention, most American's could give a damn about gay sex and the perceived injustices. When this nation is back on its feet, gays can do whatever it is they need to do to achieve their goals. Until then, gays need to be happy in what they have and concentrate on getting this economy going again. Out of control big government spending and economic prosperity is far more important than the gay agenda. Even Barack Obama understands this.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:31 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,353,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
reacting to someone getting in your face 24/7 with their stuff is not obsessing.
What does that mean?

How does someone "get in your face 24/7 with their stuff"?

Moderator cut: PERSONAL ATTACK!

Last edited by katzenfreund; 08-31-2009 at 02:32 PM..

Old 08-31-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Um....you have the right to kiss your boyfriend in public. Others have the right to not like it.

There's no law against it though, correct?
Others should mind their own damn business. I may not like it to see two heteros making out.

Law or not, straights take advantage of their right to express their love to one another in public settings EVERY day, and yet, when a gay person does it, they're "shoving their lifestyles down your throat".

The problem is that straights by and large, because they are the majority, feel as though they can dictate as to what "normalcy" is. Problem with this train of thinking is that what's normal to you may not be normal to me. Therefore you cannot impose your standard of normalcy upon anyone but yourself.

If you, like the others who find it offensive to see two men or two women showing innocent affection in public, my suggestion to you is to look the other way. They are tax paying and law abiding citizens just as you so you must respect them.

Problem is straights propensity to look down on homosexuality as this abnormality, and use that reasoning, and the mass acceptance of it to prevent equal rights to gays. I mean, I don't like that convicted felons in prison (who don't pay into the tax system) can get married, but they do, every day.

I don't like the fact that paedophiles and murderers and thiefs can get married, but they do every day. There's a lot I don't like either, but I've never seen any one try to take away these people's basic civil liberties.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
"Why is America so obsessed with homosexuality when we have a huge national deficit, incompetant health care system, skyrocketing gas prices and a dependence on foreign oil, and global warming issues, and the highest unemployment rates in years?"

Actually, I think its just the opposite. In light of the circumstances you mention, most American's could give a damn about gay sex and the perceived injustices. When this nation is back on its feet, gays can do whatever it is they need to do to achieve their goals. Until then, gays need to be happy in what they have and concentrate on getting this economy going again. Out of control big government spending and economic prosperity is far more important than the gay agenda. Even Barack Obama understands this.
WHY should gays be happy with what they have as second class citizens? Did blacks just sit back, shut up, and take their treatment as inferior human beings? Or did they stand up, fight, and DEMAND equal treatment?

By the way, why did you say "gay sex". This topic wasn't about "gay sex". It was about gays and equal rights. Why do so many equate the word "gay" with the word "sex"?

Old 08-31-2009, 01:40 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,310,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Exactly, straight people touching and kissing and getting married and getting legal benefits not afforded to others because of their sexual orientation.
Having photos of their loved ones on their desks in the same workplace I must share... IN.YOUR.FACE.

I'd be sick of straights (read breeders) getting in my face 24/7.
Spot on.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:43 PM

243 posts, read 343,562 times
Rock On LGBT peeps.

YouTube - National Equality March
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies