Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's your opinion of home schooling?
In favor 124 49.21%
Not in Favor 76 30.16%
Don't care 52 20.63%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 05:58 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
My opinion - Certainly a right, even if almost entirely exercised by religious wack-jobs non-thinkers.
Failed to read through the whole thread before replying, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 06:02 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
My personal favorite:

When she was a young kid, my girlfriend's teacher once tried to tell her that the sun and the moon could not possibly be visible in the sky at the same time. When my girlfriend disputed this, she was chastised for arguing with the teacher and had to serve detention.

As an amateur astronomer, I get a kick out of this every time it comes up.
I went to a parochial school. I was chastised for asking how the sun could stand still for Joshua's longest day, when the sun does not move to begin with.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:04 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEVDpMMPC2o

Old 01-27-2010, 06:06 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
My opinion - Certainly a right, even if almost entirely exercised by religious wack-jobs non-thinkers.
Well you are partially right,the religious wack jobs are the ones who's kid is smarter than yours. But there are Liberals whom home school, which basically amounts to letting their kids finger paint on the walls and learn the virtues of separating bottles from cans and paper and how to feel good about it.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:07 PM

971 posts, read 1,294,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Well you are partially right,the religious wack jobs are the ones who's kid is smarter than yours.
I don't have children

Old 01-27-2010, 06:16 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,034,350 times
Most of the people who speak against home schooling have never really studied it.

There is a good reason why the home school movement is growing...and it's not religion. It's the abject failure of the public school system.

The public school system is really so far gone that there is no way to salvage it. The only way it can be fixed is to start from scratch.

Did you know school teachers choose to take their children out of the public schools at a higher rate than almost any other profession? They know.

Also, while religious people are the highest percentage of home schoolers, non-religious home schoolers are growing at a much faster rate that are the people who teach their children at home for religious reasons.

I will now leave this discussion because it appears that we are dealing with religion-haters rather than people who are really interested in what is best for children.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:17 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
safe secure, isolated and 3rd rate.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:17 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamOrbit View Post
your tin foil hat is a bit tight

Actually, the other poster was correct. Not every school certainly but, there are many schools - in various areas of the country, as the poster described.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:18 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
VERY much in favor of home schooling! My children are homeschooled by two teachers who also pulled their children out of the left winger indoctrination centers. They are so far ahead of other children their age because education is actually focused on education instead of social engineering.
dcsldcd ... You are precisely correct!

The homeschooled children in our coastal community are without a doubt lightyears ahead academically of their public schooled friends.

It is amazing just how much more indepth education these homeschoolers possess ! Non PC History, Geography, Advanced Math, World History, Music, Reading Skills Levels, etc. All at Advanced levels.

Yes Home Schooling is an outstanding opportunity for America's Youth !

When compared to the other alternatives available ... there's truly no viable comparison.

Many of these children will in all likelyhood develop into truly functional "Intellectuals" ... "The Real Deals" and not the 2010 pseudo types like we are witness to today located in the White House !

Home Schooling ... A definite + for America's Youth !!!

Thanks / Lamar

Old 01-27-2010, 06:19 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I went to a parochial school. I was chastised for asking how the sun could stand still for Joshua's longest day, when the sun does not move to begin with.

It is an allegory and not literal. This is the same issue as the bread and fish that feed the masses and the well that never runs dry. These are allegories that refer to spiritual issues and the physical context is an illustration. You needed to pay closer attention in parochial school and I am afraid that you missed THE main point of not only the bible, but parochial education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies