Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's your opinion of home schooling?
In favor 124 49.21%
Not in Favor 76 30.16%
Don't care 52 20.63%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 09:25 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,257,517 times

Advertisements

Generally favor it, though I have some concerns about the qualifications of those instructing the kids. I also think there is a critical socialization aspect that can be missed if done in too much isolation.

Overall, I strongly favor charter schools. If charter schools were more widespread and developed a long term track record, I think a lot of folks could find alternatives to public schools (some/many of which I agree are dreadful) and supplement with some home schooling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 09:27 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,157,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
My opinion of homeschooling is that it's mostly done by white people who don't want their kids rubbing elbows with "undesirables" and/or to stuff their heads full of evango-fundie mythology, homophobia, xenophobia and judgmentalism.

I'd be amazed if more than 1 home-schooled kid out of 50 gets a really valid education. I can't imagine kids raised in a bubble at home are well socialized and able to function in a normally diverse society.

IMO, it's an insane proposition which produces emotionally and intellectually stunted citizens who'll need a long period of adjustment to the REAL world.
Your opinions don't reflect reality. Try dropping the stereotypes and educating yourself on the subject.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:32 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,225,680 times
I didn't vote because the options are to vague. I think it is fine for some people in certain situations, but I wouldn't do it. I think exposing kids to different people is a good thing. In general, I don't think kids respond to a parent in an academic setting as well as a teacher. I think bonding with their peers at school is a normal and positive thing. I just don't think sheltering a child too much is a good thing.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:33 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,102,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Generally favor it, though I have some concerns about the qualifications of those instructing the kids. I also think there is a critical socialization aspect that can be missed if done in too much isolation.

Overall, I strongly favor charter schools. If charter schools were more widespread and developed a long term track record, I think a lot of folks could find alternatives to public schools (some/many of which I agree are dreadful) and supplement with some home schooling.

Many schools offer home schooled activities or other classes where they can participate, sports or other specialzed classes. It is up to the parents to see that they are intereacting with kids their own age.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Well it looks liike public education has left you emotionally and intellectually stunted. There is no room in public education for open minds, only indoctrination and propaganda. Here is a list of some who were home schooled.

Famous Homeschooled people
this just sounds like paranoia to me. What, exactly, do you think public school teaches kids that is "propaganda" or "indoctrination?" specifics.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:38 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,102,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
this just sounds like paranoia to me. What, exactly, do you think public school teaches kids that is "propaganda" or "indoctrination?" specifics.

As witnessed by many on the left they have a total fear of looking at any opinions other then what is fed to them. Closed minds. I want my children to form the ability to think for themselves and decide what they believe. That is not allowed in the public schools.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:40 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,240,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
Seems we hear more and more about home schooling these days. Just wondering what people think of it.
If kids bring guns to class no big deal

Old 09-03-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
As witnessed by many on the left they have a total fear of looking at any opinions other then what is fed to them. Closed minds. I want my children to form the ability to think for themselves and decide what they believe. That is not allowed in the public schools.
specifics?

Old 09-03-2009, 09:46 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,743,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
My daughter's high school has demonstrated two such examples.

Last year, her history teacher segued from the curriculum topic of world religions to focus on HIS faith (Baptist). He then asked the students, by a show of hands, to announce if they were Christian. I might note that our community is predominantly Christian, and my daughter had already faced ridicule and harassment by other students when they discovered that she has an alternative faith. The "lecture" continued as a condemnation of non-Christian beliefs.

I took up the matter with the Vice Principal...who initially supported the teacher.

The second instance occurred in her health class, where no discussion other than abstinence was allowed.

Luckily, my daughter and I openly discuss all of her subjects at home, and she does actively seek out more information than is given at school (as I have taught her to do).

You might say that she receives both a public and home-schooled education, and I would hope it is not uncommon.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:28 AM

200 posts, read 131,783 times
All for it and plan on doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies