Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 04:45 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,021,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Why is it always the woman's responsibilty?
SOMEONE should take the responsibility. Condoms are not 100% effective, and they are not comfortable. The pill and other "shots" are much more effective and most women can take it without any problems.

Why is it the woman's responsiblilty? Are they not the ones shouting "IT'S MY BODY I'LL DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 05:38 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,608,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRice View Post
Why draw any line at all? Is it less of a woman's "choice" than it was in the beginning?

If this were the case for the majority of abortions being performed I do not think there would be as much debate about it.

Why not poll all the people you see with malformed hands, cerebral palsy, who were born blind, etc and see what they think..do they wish they had been aborted?

Do you wish your mom had aborted you?

That's like saying that I as a woman have no idea what testosterone does to men's bodies and I should not be opposed to them raping women....

I bet this thread will be closed before the afternoon is out.
I think you are being too critical; of course I have an Idea of what it must be like.

Your last statement is nonsensical...Where do you get raping women...when I WAS trying to help clarify how men cannot really know.

Your hostile, not me.....I brought up questions for people to think about...I DID not say I agreed or disagreed...You put your agenda into my innocous post. My original post said it's your body; your decision; but in your haste to bash; I guess you did not read that part...."selective reading".

With the tone you used you're the one that will cause the thread to close...I do not understand the hostility...GEESH! The Thread should be moved to Politics and other Controversies sub-forum....and the Ignore list lengthens!

Old 09-06-2009, 06:12 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,021,274 times
There is NO hostility and NO bashing. I was replying to your questions. If you read hostility and bashing into it, that was your interpretation, not mine.

Men raping women is a violent act, perpetrated by one who has power that he is forcing upon one who does not have the power to withstand it and who does not wish to be violated in this way.

Quite similar when you consider the choice of the FETUS and the violence and power exerted over IT during an abortion. Oh wait, after an abortion the true victim "goes away" and never has a voice....does it.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:22 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,428,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRice View Post
SOMEONE should take the responsibility. Condoms are not 100% effective, and they are not comfortable. The pill and other "shots" are much more effective and most women can take it without any problems.

Why is it the woman's responsiblilty? Are they not the ones shouting "IT'S MY BODY I'LL DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT?"
You can't have it both ways then. If it is the woman's responsibility then she should have the option of aborting as well.

It is HER body and she should be able to do what she believe is right for her.

On the other side of the coin, if men want to opt out of the responsibilty that comes with sex, then they should very well shut their mouths about women's reproductive rights.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:25 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,428,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I could go on and on with how immeasurable the guilt would grow within me. I understand the whole "If you don't want an abortion then don't get one and shut up" argument, considering I use the same one myself to counter people who oppose same-sex relationships or...gasp...same-sex civil unions (thankfully their numbers are dwindling to just a few far right-wing yahoos), but in my particular example nobody gets hurt. In your example you're doing what's good for you, but is it always what's necessarily what's good for the baby? Think about it. What if your mothers had all chosen "It's my body. I'll do what I want?"

Sometimes, yes, I do think it's better for the "baby" to be aborted then be born into some of the situations that I see impoverished and abused children grow up in.

And if my mother chose that? I wouldn't be here. Simple as that and I wouldn't know it either. That thought doesn't bother me in the least.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:28 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,685,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'll never understand this line of thinking. Our politicians are NOT supposed to vote on THEIR beliefs. Their jobs are to make sure this country adheres to it's Constitution. And the Constitution guarantees us freedom. We also have separation of Church and State in this country which means religious views should not be the basis of anything the government does.

Doherty supports women's rights. He's not a woman so I don't think he's getting an abortion anytime soon. So I fail to see how he is a hypocrite. If anything, I'd call him a hypocrite if, as a politician, he used his religious beliefs to dictate what the rest of us do. That flies *directly* in the face of everything this country is based and built on.
He doesn't vote on legislation that has to do with abortion, He's the mayor of Scranton. He's a Catholic. Catholic's don't believe in aborting babies. You can't have it both ways. You can't be a Catholic and say I'll believe this and not that. It's not an a la carte menu or a buffet. You either believe it all or nothing. I would have no problem if he said that's he supports abortion and he wasn't a Catholic, that would be fine.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:35 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,685,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal111 View Post
A fact that is often overlooked in this whole debate is the fact that there there would be less abortions if the men took responsibilities for there actions. The overwhelming majority of women do not have abortions because they don't want a baby, they seek one because they have a medical condition, feel trapped and alone because the father is telling them they are on their own and/or are pressured by the father into having one. It's easy for someone to dictate to others when they will most likely never know what it is like for the woman who is actually in that situation.

Maybe those who say they want a say in the matter and those that choose the pro-life stance should spend more time preaching to all of the irresponsible men who believe birth control is a woman's responsibility.
shoegal. I agree 100 percent. A know a lot of deadbeat dads and it gets on my nerves. Anyone can have sex with a woman and impregnate her. It gets me so mad when I see fathers that are not involved with their kids and want nothing to do with them, when I've been wanting to have a child for years now. I know a girl who is just about to have a kid, the father is a complete jerk and she wants nothing to do with him, but she is having the kid regardless because she thinks that all life is precious and doesn't believe in abortion. So, I have seen my share of irresponsible men and I get very angry. They want the pleasure of making a baby, but do not want to pay the consequences if the girl gets pregnant.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:49 AM

13,257 posts, read 33,665,336 times
This thread has been moved to allow freedom of talk regarding abortion and the appropriateness of a Mayor of a city giving his views on abortion. It was originally started in the NEPA forum but moved due to a change of topic from a local to a national focus.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-06-2009 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: moving explanation

Old 09-07-2009, 05:20 PM

109 posts, read 368,063 times
I find it ironic that Doherty "comes out" of his pro-choice closet after the bishop leaves office. I guess he isn't afraid that he might be denied communion. I pray that the Church ceases to do business with his family (they sell Catholic trinkets), seeing as how he doesn't have the moral fortitude to stand up for the most needy and defenseless, a baby in her mother's womb.

I know women who have had abortions, I see the pain and angst that stays with them. I remember when I was pregnant, sharing my 10 week ultrasound with a friend, cooing over my baby's little features, her arms and legs, and her glorious heart beat. Going over what my baby was up to according to the pregnancy books. I looked at my friend, her face was covered in tears, and not tears of joy for me. She opened up to her own experience about the abortion of her child, and the tears were of sorrow and loss and guilt.

I am pro-life, I see abortion for what it is, taking the life of a child. If a woman doesn't want to be a mother, or be responsible for a life, there is another option to killing a child. It is called adoption. There are so many couples looking to adopt children, and yet they have to go to foreign countries to find them, and then wait a year to bring them home. May God bless our souls.

Last edited by kvysmom; 09-07-2009 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-07-2009, 05:26 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,604,027 times
Good for the governor. The government needs to stay out of our lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies