Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2009, 07:46 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,478,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Nobody is arguing against reform... 80% is agreed upon... the extra stuff that the liberals added on top of it is the problem...
Can you please explain what the "problem" 20% is and why it's a "problem? It's not a problem simply because Republicans don't agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Um, if you havent been following along, the problem is that insurance is so expensive and that people cant afford it... Until you determine why it is so darn expensive, (and yes, those not paying their bills, including illegal aliens), you cant begin to discuss how to fix it...
people getting health care from hospitals and not paying for it does NOT make insurance more expensive.

you seem to have trouble differentiating between insurance companies and health care providers.

and as many people have pointed out, a huge number of citizens will be able to get preventative care and stay out of emergency rooms if they have insurance.

you implied at some point that half of people who are treated in emergency rooms are illegal aliens - can you back that up with some stats?

2,522 posts, read 4,393,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I think Obama doomed himself. People were expecting salient points and new information and he provided nothing. He provided no details or specifics to support proclamations he made 2 months ago. He played politics tonight and I think people are furious.
His frequent speeches are becoming tiresome and really don't seem to have an impact. My colleagues (mostly Obama supporters) were saying..."Yawn, another Obama speech."
Boring, more of the same.

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Obama raised the gauntlet; those that lie and distort should be called out.

Exactly what Rep. Wilson did. He is lying about illegals.

Illegal aliens will NOT be covered under the Health Insurance plan. How hard is that to comprehend.

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
the details are still up in the air becausee there are no less than 5 Committee bills that need to be hashed but as for his positions he made them quite clear.

As for the Republicans they acted shameful tonight with Jim Wilson of South Carolina screaming "You Lie!" in the middle of the speech. I've been watching the speeches to Congress for over 20 years and have never heard a member of Congress be so disrepectful to the acting President of the United States.
But what does one expect about a shrinking political party that since day one have been obstructionists!
Yes, this plan is like any plan. You come up w/what you know that you want & then you get down to the nitty gritty of the details in how to play it out. I mean, I really don't know what people expect. Of course this is not going to get passed immediately nor will it be fully detailed as of right now. I've watched congressional addresses before, w/Bush. I remember the dems would not always stand up & clap, just like the repubs demonstrated this evening. I don't remember if anyone had yelled out things to the president in past speeches though.

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
What were they holding up?
Every time obama talked about listening to "ideas" other than his own, they held up pages of ideas that democrats and obama have ignored.

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Understandable...he was in tea party mode.

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
I can't think of any lawmakers of any party who have actually proposed repealing EMTALA.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:47 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
That was great when he talked about illegals - no one believes him. It was great when the guy said he was lying.
Actually I dont think they were booing because they didnt believe him, I think they were indeed upset because Obama said he wasnt going to add them into the program. Pretty much shows how much support illegal aliens have in Congress..

Anyone want to bet that was why the booing took place?

Old 09-09-2009, 07:47 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,196,047 times
Oh, Lordy Rep Joe Wilson is a Glenn Beck 9/12er, I should have freaking known....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies